Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Adjust Session Start Time Issues

Does anyone know a workaround when PT will not allow one to "maintain timecode" when changing session start time?

Dialog box pops up saying 'unable to maintain orig t.c. yada yada'. There are no regions, automation, alt playlists anywhere before start time I'm changing to. I seem to remember in the past finding the solution to this problem, but perhaps have forgotten it.

thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Adjust Session Start Time Issues

You must be trying to change the session start time to a later point. If there is ANYTHING existing before that later point, even one automation mark, Pro Tools will not allow you to ignore it. If your session is supposed to be blank, just select all tracks and mark from the session beginning to infinity and hit delete. That always works for me.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM

After faffing with this for a while recently, I found that midi tracks can cause this function to not work - deleting them solved the problem immediately.

Hope this helps,

Ro
Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

There's always something in the session you are not aware of that causes this message to appear.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedat View Post
There's always something in the session you are not aware of that causes this message to appear.
Just discovered another one: Memory Location Slots. I killed all of those before the new start time and everything worked.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 PM

Another way to adjust the session start (effectively) is to pick a point, like the 2-pop, and under the Setup menu select "Current timecode location" and you can redefine that TC to be whatever you want.

Hope that helps!

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM

And remember to check for tracks you've hidden. Doh!
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM

I suppose I should give the "why" on this just in case someone has a better idea. I'm going song by song through a musical, and I have the complete track set from two performances somewhat synced together on the timeline (which means the total track count is somewhere north of 120). With the whole session on the timeline, unless it's the first song in the show, the auto-tune buffer overloads instantly if I use host timing. I did a few of the songs using internal timing, but that became a nightmare as I started to deal with the changes and comments from the producers.

Hence the need to push the session start forward to near the song start--the Antares buffer doesn't overload if it doesn't see potential hours of time before I want to track pitch on something. Since I'm routinely hiding tracks from the unused performance (they're there to grab fixes on clams and RF hits) I sometimes forget they're even in the session.

So, to recap: show all tracks, delete everything before the new start point, delete any memory locations that may be before the new start point, delete any midi info before the new start point, throw salt over your shoulder and hope.

Peter

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest