Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2001, 07:54 PM

Default How do you un-install a program?

Hello,

I am trying to remove any extra old programs from my hard-drive in order to attempt to fix a possible conflict problem with Pro Tools. My question is what is the correct procedure for completely removing a given program from the Mac computer? (I have OS 9.2.1) My first reaction was to just drag the program to the trash can... but does merely deleting the program folders etc automatically pull out any extensions etc that the program might have put into the computer originally? Or does one need to search the whole computer for such "hidden" extensions etc and remove the program piece by piece (which would seem to possibly be a tedious and inaccurate procedure). I really do not want to re-format my drive since I've spent lots of time configuring all my stuff... I would just like to remove certain programs completely. Anyone who is familiar with PC computers is aware of the "un-install" operation... but I have not yet found such a thing on the Mac... or did I overlook something? THANKS. -imp
Old 10-12-2001, 08:18 PM

Default Re: How do you un-install a program?

This is one of the many great things about a Mac. In addition to the actual program, if there is any other parts, they will only be in 3 places: the extentions folder, control panel folder, and preferences folder - that's it. The first two is the most important, once their gone the pref files have no effect on anything. You can use the "Find" feature just to double check. Also there are no invisible extentions. Very different from a PC.
Old 10-13-2001, 02:04 AM

what do you call all those invisible files & folders then? be afraid, mate, be very afraid. at least with the pc, you had a fightin' chance at working out what files microsoft was trying to hide, and/or bury, from your sight. use, or get, an app that'll let you see the little demons; they're all over your hard drive, with very cryptic names, for the most part, and they're not just sittin' there enjoying the sun.

ml
Old 10-13-2001, 04:07 AM

bassman is very right, it couldn't be easier to uninstall an application on a mac. However, on Windows you might need an uninstaller, or you need to keep track to all the files you install every time you install something....that might be a pain.

Actually, the most complicated apps to uninstall on a mac are the microsoft ones!!! A real mess of files...but you end up finding everything anyway.

6am eternal
Old 10-13-2001, 04:11 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by M Lawrence:
[b]what do you call all those invisible files & folders then? be afraid, mate, be1
Old 10-13-2001, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Many programs (including Pro Tools) create a SimpleText installer log. These can be found in a number of ways:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>root level of your drive<LI>Documents -> Installer Logs folder<LI>a Sherlock search for the word install, which will find any installer log titles that contain the word install, such as Installation, Installer, Installed, etc. You can also search on the words log or report.[/list]
I usually create a separate storage folder for questionable items that I've removed with something like this:
STG ƒ
-> from ext
-> from CP
-> from Prefs
etc.

I wouldn't delete these right away unless you have backed them up to different drive or storage media. You can place the items in the trash without deleting and generally see if your system performs properly without them.

It's also a good idea to take a snapshot of your important system folder before you remove items, by opening a folder like Extensions and View as List, Select All, Copy, Paste into a text document.
An even easier method is to use the Apple System Profiler in your Apple Menu.
Choose Extensions or Control Panels
File -> New Report
Check just the box for Extensions or Control Panels (or both)
Save
You now have a report of what was installed before you remove items, in case you need to replace the original file.

A couple of other ways to check newly installed files:
Open your System Folder
View as List
Highlight Folders like Extensions, Extensions (disabled), Control Panels, Control Panels (disabled) etc.
Go to File -> Label
Choose a Label color for all of the items in these folders. (I like Cool)
Now when you install new items, they will usually show up without any label color, so you can then check them this way:
Open folder
View -> View as List
View -> View Options
Check the box for Label
View -> Sort List -> by Label
any new items should show up without a label color. Some items may have been pre-labeled by the creator, but generally not.

and another option:
Conflict Catcher can sort by Date Installed

Both Conflict Catcher and Extensions Manager can sort by Package, so you should pay close attention to items that are part of the Mac OS. If any of these are replaced by older items when installing a program, you can update them from your Mac OS CD, updater, or by running the Software Update program if your cpu is internet enabled.

Bruce
(with too much time and too many extensions)
Old 10-13-2001, 11:39 AM

All ths sugestions are worth noting. They all come in handy.
I have found that ONLY the extension folder is really ever needed to be "un-installed"

Many mac apps give you an un-install option. If you start the original install aplication, clikt he bar that says "install". Sometimes there is a "un-install" option. However all this usually does is trash the extension associated with app.
As far as invisible files. They are RARELY active files that conflict with anything. I have never ran into problems with those.
The secret to a healthy Mac is knowing your extensions. THe biggest pain in the aass with extension management is any microsoft extensions! the make oodles of them that have no desciptions.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:21 AM

you should try Installer Observer. You run it before an installation, and later it can tell you what was added/modified or deleted. It can track any folder, no t only the system.
And it's free. Download it from versiontracker.
Cheers Andres
Old 10-15-2001, 08:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by apetrocelli:
you should try Installer Observer. You run it before an installation, and later it can tell you what was added/modified or deleted. It can track any folder, no t only the system.
And it's free. Download it from versiontracker.
Cheers Andres
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I run this before I put anything in my Mac. Not every program has their own installer log, so this is good back-up insurance.

You just run it before you install something, then run it again afterwards, it tells your what was added to your Mac and where it is. Then just save the results as a text file and drop it in the program folder for future reference.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:10 PM

Guys-
I use good old Sherlock. Type in the name of the program, make sure the radio button that says "File Name" (NOT "Contents"-that'll give you every file on the hard drive that even contains a mention of the program, or words in the program's name) is checked, hit "Search" and drag all the files that appear into the Trash. I've updated a good dozen programs using this method (not trusting the installer to delete all the old files), and I've NEVER had a problem runnng the new version of the program. Of course, invisible files aren't shown, but I've not experienced problems because of that. Try it, it should work for you, too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]