Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 AM

Default OT/impulse responses

... i wonder if anybody has implemented recording impulse responses at their set-sound-workflow. if a practicable setup is geared up properly i guess it wouldnīt take too long to record some responses from different sets without disturbing other departments. i guess that you could only achieve great results with impulse responses at the dubbing-stage if they were recorded on several points of the different acoustics... some user-experiences on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

some people do a "kind of" adr on set, some donīt. my experience is that most actors canīt concentrate on doing adrīs on the set (for what i couldnīt blame them).
another question is how do clients react if you confront them/ offer to them impulse-response-recordings/ and - at extra costs. further more; would you charge this option extra... perhaps somebody wants to share their experiences.

thnx in advance!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM

Default Re: OT/impulse responses

Bump
Old 11-27-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterer View Post
... i wonder if anybody has implemented recording impulse responses at their set-sound-workflow. if a practicable setup is geared up properly i guess it wouldnīt take too long to record some responses from different sets without disturbing other departments. i guess that you could only achieve great results with impulse responses at the dubbing-stage if they were recorded on several points of the different acoustics... some user-experiences on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

some people do a "kind of" adr on set, some donīt. my experience is that most actors canīt concentrate on doing adrīs on the set (for what i couldnīt blame them).
another question is how do clients react if you confront them/ offer to them impulse-response-recordings/ and - at extra costs. further more; would you charge this option extra... perhaps somebody wants to share their experiences.

thnx in advance!
You could actually use the clap of the clapperboard slate as an impulse response.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM

Wondering the same.. Iknow in Logic Space design accounts for user created IR's but does TL space do the same... how would you go about getting that info into Pro Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 AM

I'd say don't even think about getting impulses during production. You need perfect silence to capture an useful response, and even with the best-intentioned crew, there will always be some movement, the lights will crackle while cooling off etc.
During production it could be useful to make a list of all the locations that are interesting to record, and then talk the production into giving you a day to visit them after the production is finished (or during a day off, if you're not too tired).