Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Feature requests for \"Digi 003\" and PTLE 7 for

Quote:
Quote:
If PT7 doesnt allow for multiple hardware linking thanks to the this new aggregate feature, it'll be another reason to leave the boat... IMHO...
If Digi were going to do this, they would have done it long ago. Why would they wait for the feature to be integrated into Core Audio since they don't use it? MOTU has allowed this since DP4.0 if I recall correctly.

I imagine that you'll be able to use a Digi002R (using its Core Audio drivers) with some other interface using some software other than Pro Tools...I think that works with Digital Performer right now...but I wouldn't hold my breath for Digi to implement this any time soon. People have been asking for it for years.

-Duardo
Yes, this is an interesting dilemma. Pro Tools doesn't use Core Audio, but rather its own proprietary DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine, IIRC). What's the difference? Well, for starters, DAE is less CPU-efficient than Core Audio, has higher latency, and supports only RTAS/AS plug-ins. It's also the engine used to interface with Digi's TDM-based hardware, so presumably Digi builds PTLE on DAE because it's easier (cheaper) for them. This is probably the single biggest reason that PTLE is so far behind the rest of the industry's host-based DAW apps.

The irony is, Apple has done so much of the development work for them, with great features and APIs for Core Audio but they're not using it. All Digi would need to do is use Apple's APIs to build PTLE on Core Audio, in which case PTLE would automatically benefit from present and future Core Audio features, like multiple interface consolidation, low latency, AU plug-ins, built-in surround support, etc. Alternatively, Digi could work with Apple to build a bridge between DAE and Core Audio so that PTLE has the best of both worlds - Core Audio features plus RTAS, etc.

Before we completely write off the possibility of Digi adopting Core Audio for PTLE, let's take a closer look. Before OS X, Pro tools relied on a 3rd party technology (OMS) for MIDI. When OS X arrived, Digi chose to use Apple's Core MIDI in PT 6, but not Core Audio. This is understandable because Core Audio was very young then, unproven, not nearly as feature-rich, and a bit of a moving target, so it was probably not the best move for Digi to adopt Core Audio for version 6. Now, however, Core Audio has matured to the point where it's clearly a few leaps ahead of DAE, and the benefits of supporting Core Audio are much more likely to outweigh the relatively minor costs of development - and, in fact, relying on Core Audio would be a way for Digi to transfer some of their development costs to Apple, who we can be sure will keep innovating. In light of all this, i wouldn't rule out Core Audio support in the next major revision of PTLE.

So, back to the question of multiple interface consolidation for PTLE gear, if Digi were to adopt (or at least play nice with) Core Audio, we would be able to link multiple Digi units at the OS level without Digi needing to invest in developing hardware and software specifically for that.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:
So, back to the question of multiple interface consolidation for PTLE gear, if Digi were to adopt (or at least play nice with) Core Audio, we would be able to link multiple Digi units at the OS level without Digi needing to invest in developing hardware and software specifically for that.
Doubt it. They may go with Core Audio, but they'd still restict PTLE to only work with LE interfaces, and one at a time. Otherwise why buy HD/TDM? I'm already learning Logic for the inevitable cross grade.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:21 PM

OK I think I just figured something out. In effect, Avid buying M-Audio and then releasing PTMP to run on M-Audio hardware is like them saying, "OK we didn't do the native thing quite right...we don't write very good drivers and the closed-system thing didn't work."

S0...they bought a company that has had success, and can write good low-latency Core Audio and ASIO drivers, and makes hardware roughly equivalent to the LE hardware.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM

All I can say is that if digidesign doesn't come up with something that can compete with the Fireface by Christmas or early 2006, RME will get my interface money and Apple will have my software upgrade money. Heck I'd be happy if they could just get the Maudio team to develop some good CoreAudio drivers for the digi002r That way I wouldn't have to abandon my other software or buy another interface for my other apps. I've heard too many people in various forums complain of hardships with the core audio drivers to risk spending 1200-1500 dollars on.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:47 PM

so does anybody have a said date of when the infamous PT 7.0 is releases?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Perhaps the idea for the 003 I'm about to propose is silly (mostly to the folks at Digidesign), but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Mostly, my gumpshon comes from the fact that It appears I've come to the end of the road for at least a little while on my Mac as far as Operating Systems go if I'm going to continue to use my DIGI 001. And I am, as I don't feel the 002 is much of an upgrade other than the 2 extra preamps and sample rate. Yeah, yeah I know, "The A/D/D/A drivers are better." Well not much better. And, personally I've used both and I find the sound I get at 44 and 48 KHz on the 001 to be clearer than the same rates on the 002. Unless the PT 7 features blow me away I won't switch. If they release an 003 with it and it's features blow me away, then again I'll consider the switch. But I'm about to propose an idea for the 003 that would make me definetly purchase it. I also think alot of MBox and 002 users would be motivated to buy it.

It has long been Digidesign's policy to not allow more than piece of Legacy gear to be used at a time. What if that were altered slightly. What if the 003 was setup to allow the connection of all previous legacy gear that came in breakout form. Now you don't allow the 001 for example to work with the new Pro Tools on it's own. However you do allow it to work if it's connected to the 003. The same with the others. So basically you put a USB port for the MBox, a Firewire port for the 002, and either a connection for the serial cable that connects the 001 or a PCI slot. What have you got. The first Digital Audio company to make their prior audio interfaces of not obsolete, but vintage. No, I don't know the logistics of how it would be done, it's merely a suggestion. A dream really.

Think about it you have an 001 w/ 8 I/O then you go out & get an 003. Now not only do you have a state of the art piece of Hardware w 8 I/O running the newest Pro Tools w/ 192 KHz SR and 32 bit Float. (like many have suggested.) But, becasuse you held on to your 001 if you need more I/O you can run a 44 or 48 KHz session and have 16 I/O and extra MIDI. If you have an MBox 10 I/O. If you have an 002 you have the same as an 001 w/ extra pre-amps and you can rum 96 KHz sessions. This should go for whatever comes after HD it should allow for TDM connectivity. One of the great things about all that great vintage gear we all love so much is that it's still so usable and sounds so great. Why can't the same be true with digital gear. Alot of great recordings have been done on 001's and TDM (I got that statement straight from Digizine.). Why should that gear wither and fade. I tell you what I'd be the first in line for the 003. Digidesign would get double purchases which they don't get now. Folks buying an MBox would later buy an 003 at full price.

Maybe they could make this a seperate piece of gear. Like an 003 Universal. Charge a little more than a regular 003. I also think Digidesign would wipe out any competition it has forever.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Feature requests for \"Digi 003\" and PTLE 7 for 5.1

Yes, I am the proverbial broken record. I have however, taken the time to submit a feature request. I encourage you all to do the same, if you need to mix music in the real world. So here it is....

More than 32 tracks !
More than 32 tracks !
More than 32 tracks !
More than 32 tracks !
More than 32 tracks !
More than 32 tracks !
More than 32 tracks !

Yep, it's been said before, yep, i've said it before, and yep, I'll say it again. I'm getting really tired of having to mix all of my songs in Logic Pro. I've got PT LE 6.9 sitting there, and I haven't even bothered to boot it. Why would I ? I'd only be able to play half of my sessions.
My poor 002 - the control surface lies redundant, my poor ,poor, unused Sony plugins....

End record side.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
OK I think I just figured something out. In effect, Avid buying M-Audio and then releasing PTMP to run on M-Audio hardware is like them saying, "OK we didn't do the native thing quite right...we don't write very good drivers and the closed-system thing didn't work."

S0...they bought a company that has had success, and can write good low-latency Core Audio and ASIO drivers, and makes hardware roughly equivalent to the LE hardware.
I too have been hoping that Avid's acquisition of M-Audio means they're taking host-based audio more seriously.

The mistake i hope they don't make is assuming that everyone who uses host-based gear is a consumer/hobbyist. There's been a lot of talk on this thread and others about professionals who use LE gear but who increasingly find that Digi's host-based products aren't keeping up with the industry. My hope is that Digi will offer host-based products with truly professional features (AES, word clock, 192k, FW800, etc.). I don't know if the acquisition of M-Audio (generally regarded as a consumer/hobbyist company, though there are certainly pros who use their products) will help in this regard or not, but maybe we'll see come NAMM.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:04 PM

i'm currently in the market for a pro tools system and after a lot of research / experience, here is my choice:

titanium powerbook running pro tools free

previous systems:
G4 450 AMIII
G4 450 pro tools free
Old 05-04-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
i'm currently in the market for a pro tools system and after a lot of research / experience, here is my choice:

titanium powerbook running pro tools free

previous systems:
G4 450 AMIII
G4 450 pro tools free

????????????