Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Keyboard Shortcuts?

I always thought the rigidity of the keyboard commands was what helped Tools become the defacto standard, but I appreciate this point of view may now be out of date.

Just an aside, I set up a ton of my own keyboard shortcuts on Melodyne 3, and I used to fly round that baby. And now Melo 4 has come out and I feel like a total beginner again. I had so many shortcuts in the old one I don't even know how to start putting them all in the new software. I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better in the long run to have stuck to learning the stock key commands.....
Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
IJust an aside, I set up a ton of my own keyboard shortcuts on Melodyne 3, and I used to fly round that baby. And now Melo 4 has come out and I feel like a total beginner again. I had so many shortcuts in the old one I don't even know how to start putting them all in the new software. I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better in the long run to have stuck to learning the stock key commands.....
Mmmm, yup, I have to agree on that one too. I've gotten used to 4, but like with ProTools, I had my left hand fingers assigned to all sorts of command, that are not there anymore. Mainly tool selection options.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Clip Bin show/hide can be set in Window Configurations which can then be easily accessed by numpad just like markers (numpad: "." + windowconfig# + "*").
Yes, and I have those set up, and recalled by certain Memory Locations, as well. But I haven't found a reliable way to call an item from the Clips Bin menu. E.g., I'd love to have shortcuts for showing/hiding full path name, selecting unused except whole files, and changing Timeline Drop Order. It can kind of be done by using Window Configs to make sure the Clips menu button is in exactly the right place on the screen, and having KM click in a particular place on the screen to open it, then execute a series of keyboard strokes. But it's flaky, and you have to recreate it every time a new version of PT changes the position of that button even a tiny bit, which is more often than you'd think. Or when you buy a new monitor. Or when Mac OS changes the way screen position is calculated. Etc. I got tired of fixing my tools and gave up on it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 AM

Any Keyboard Maestro wizards out there?

Consensus seems like it's the best option, but despite viewing all the tutorials, I don't seem to be getting very far with it...

If anybody could give a step by step approach to Keyboard Maestro setup (with PT shortcuts on a Mac), it would be greatly appreciated

Also, is it possible to re-map existing key commands using Keyboard Maestro (rather than just adding shortcuts that aren't already in use)? Specifically, I'd like to update some of the Zoom shortcuts to mirror my Logic workflow.

(I'm not looking to discuss the pros & cons of custom key commands... although IMO the pros far outweigh the cons)!
Old 04-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Read this

I've used it for years. It'll take you about 1/2 hour to master the app. AND you can save all the shortcuts in iCloud or dropbox so if you have more than one system like me, it is identical on all computers.

Here are the shortcuts I use....

http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:22 AM

While I enjoy the Protools shortcuts being the same everywhere I work, without having the hassle of carrying around (or rebuilding) custom layouts, I've also found that nothing beats having a mapping software and a few extra buttons. Even "Enjoyable," and an "iBuffalo USB Super Nintendo controller" can be pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 05:05 AM

Many thanks for sharing Ron - you're a scholar & a gentleman!

Working like a charm now, (& a complete revelation) - all my navigation & zoom commands are mirrored across both PT, Logic, (& Melodyne).

Whilst I totally get the argument for fixed shortcuts, it would be nice to have the option for custom shortcuts available within PT.... Pro Tools is used by a variety of users for a multitude of tasks, (& not everyone falls into Avid's 'vision').

I also feel many of PT's key commands are far from intuitive, (& many DAW's offer better alternatives). In my books, if you have to think about a key command, (or search for it on a keyboard).... it's not a shortcut!

Opening up key commands might also have the added benefit of encouraging users of other DAWs to consider PT as a viable alternative... something to consider Avid?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post

Here are the shortcuts I use....

Ron, the picture with your shortcuts isn't displayed at least on my system, could you post it again?

-matts