Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Default I\'m About To Buy an 002R.....New Versions Coming?

I just bought a 2.0 Dual Core G5 and I am in the market for an 002R. I'm hearing that Digidesign may be coming out with a new 002R. Any word on this? I am in the market for it now and would like to get this in the next week or so. Advice? What would you do. Is a new version/model on the horizon?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: I\'m About To Buy an 002R.....New Versions Coming?

Yeah, there has been some speculation that digi will announce some new hardware at NAMM, which starts Thursday. You can wait a week to see if the speculative rumours are true, can't you? And if they are, you can wait until the new stuff starts shipping, right?
If you need it, buy it. If they release a new version, there will be a hardware upgrade program in place like there is now.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:20 PM

Could it be a PCI-e Interface?? Should put an end to the constant Firewire connectivity issues.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: I\'m About To Buy an 002R.....New Versions Comi

whoa... I am pretty close to buying an 002 Rack because of the endless errors with the MBox. What exatly are "the constant Firewire connectivity issues"?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 PM

I think the firewire issues they mean are the fact that on some G5's you can't use the rear firewire ports. On mine, things work just fine if you plug in to the port on the front of the machine.

It's not a deal breaker, but it sure is unsightly.

Digi says it's Apple's doing, and Apple says it's Digi's.

-chuck
Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
(...)If they release a new version, there will be a hardware upgrade program in place like there is now.
I don't believe they do this with 002R for another piece in this range of hardware like they don't do it with MBox for MBox II.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:49 PM

I would wait 'till Namm as well. I hope they come out with a PCIe 003...? or something to that effect. My PCI 001 was more reliable than my 002rack. Way less errors, hiccups, crashes etc. and the meters actually meant something on a 001. All they mean now is your getting signal... once they decide to move of course. And at least once a session my 002r throws up its arms. Its like a jack in the box... you never know when its going to rear its ugly head. Wish I wasn't so in love with Digi's UI... or I could afford HD. That said... PT is still the best user interface in the biz. And try to find a compatibility page like Digi's anywhere else. Its a love, kinda hate thing.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 PM

More like hate/hate in my case. The MBox is just unusable at this point. I can barely play back 2 tracks without getting the lame USB errors, which is why I need a solution ASAP. I guess I can wait til NAMM and see about a new firewire unit, but as of now, 002 Rack looks like my best bet.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:38 AM

interesting point...I bought PT almost a year ago, and I assumed that when oo2 replaced oo1 there was a hardware exchange period like I expect there to be when they bring out the next generation. My emotional side would be quite upset if they didn't, but only until my rational side reasserted itself by explaining what business digi is really in: selling hardware. Which is why I'm somewhat happy to not have tens of thousands tied up in hardware digi can decide to no longer support at whim...which probably won't happen for a good while w/ the HD line, but down here in LE-land (and I think even more so w/ the M-powered M-audio stuff), anything can happen. I think this gives insight into how digi thinks: LE and it's interfaces are for serious hobbyists and future professionals who may or may not "grow into" HD rigs, and M-powered is entry level to get ppl hooked so they jump right into a no-holds barred HD rig when they run into the walls repeatedly.

To get back to the original question, should they wait, my answer still is "can you afford to?" If not, then writing off the oo2 if they release something new this week with no hardware upgrade option won't be that much of an issue, because I assume it will be put right into commission and paid for rather quickly. If there is new hardware this week, and an exchange/update program, then they'll also be able to afford the upgrade at the time, no sweat. If they can, wait...there's always a fairly long period right after the initial release when they work out the bugs experienced by early adopters, etc. and the price drops as the market gets saturated.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I just bought a 2.0 Dual Core G5 and I am in the market for an 002R. I'm hearing that Digidesign may be coming out with a new 002R. Any word on this? I am in the market for it now and would like to get this in the next week or so. Advice? What would you do. Is a new version/model on the horizon?
Get a MOTU 828 Mk2 or a Project Mix instead... my 2 cents