Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 04:39 AM

Default LOGIC pro 7 Feedback

Well i took the plunge got logic pro 7 installed after 30 mins clicked to work AND......drumroll

Crash after crash after crash...... come back Digi all is forgiven... well to be honest there was no issue with digi for me as such. but here is a n indepth analysis.

Graphically.. it is beautiful i mean the mixer is very Protools like one criticism it is not as uniform as protools so the DAE track look different to the Dtdm tracks. The cahnnel strip and images is great the dark clour scheme does it for me i give it 9/10

GUI: boy it is not as user friendly as you might think but this is a software issue afterall i have been using protools exclusively for over 5 years now. 7/10

Stability: Sucks bigtime after battling with it for hours to get the dae, dtdm working and 20 crashes later i got it up and running i must say the mixture of dae unlimted tracks depending on your hardware and dtdm unlimited tracks bussed to 8 esb channels is very good indeed. You are guaranteed at least a crash a day how ridiculous is that protools rearly bombed out on me bar for plugins inparticular plugsounds any session done with the beta crashes in the release version but hey not a major for me as i have replaced these sessions. 5/10 i am yet to be convinced

Hui: well i will first say i am grateful that it is there wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt BUT.. faders and pans ok soem buttons work well liek edit and mix buttons .. scrub and shuffle dont scrub at all as far as the sound is concerned (might need to make a configuration change).
Metering ha ha ha ha ha ha that says it all absolute crap it is but considering it is there i will give it a generous 6/10

Software instruments: the redeeming factor excellant all round you get bang for bucks i ahve to say man consider this evp88, clavinets, organs vocoders all very top notch i give the software instruments 10/10 if only digi can bundle far more than the measly token bombfactory left overs we'll all be happy.

Plugins reverbs sounds ok, eq's not a patch on sony but useful havent tried the others yet so i will sya for the little i have tried it will score above 7/10.

Midi: well no contest timing rock solid 11/10 nuff said we all know the midi is gonna be good anyway.

on the whole i will pray earnestly that digi continue to make software as to be honest their software whils less feature laden than Logic is bloody stable.

Logic pro 7 does have exceptional features and i am sure in time they will get better but a lsesson for digi is to bundle more for free and come up with chepaer dsp alternatives like powercore types.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Re: LOGIC pro 7 Feedback

Quote:
Crash after crash after crash...... come back Digi all is forgiven... well to be honest there was no issue with digi for me as such. but here is a n indepth analysis.
Well that was, is, and will be apparently the case with Logic. There are bugs since V4,0 that are not fixed and everybody complains about it....sucks!

Quote:
GUI: boy it is not as user friendly as you might think but this is a software issue afterall i have been using protools exclusively for over 5 years now. 7/10
You are too generous! As said above software issues ARE the problem with emagic. 5/10

Quote:
Stability: Sucks bigtime after battling with it for hours to get the dae, dtdm working and 20 crashes ... 5/10 i am yet to be convinced
Something that crashes at least once a day doesn't pass the test! They should get a D or 3/10

Quote:
Hui: well i will first say i am grateful that it is there wouldnt ... ha ha ha ha ha ha that says it all absolute crap it is but considering it is there i will give it a generous 6/10
Let's admit it.

Quote:
Software instruments: the redeeming factor excellant all round you get bang for bucks i ahve to say man consider this evp88, clavinets, organs vocoders all very top notch i give the software instruments 10/10 if only digi can bundle far more than the measly token bombfactory left overs we'll all be happy.
Yep Sir.

Quote:
Plugins reverbs sounds ok, eq's not a patch on sony but useful havent tried the others yet so i will sya for the little i have tried it will score above 7/10.
Reverb is really nice. Still in TDM you can only have 8 busses for Logic plugs and/or Audio units Plugs wich is way too less. But Ok for 7/10.

Quote:
Midi: well no contest timing rock solid 11/10 nuff said we all know the midi is gonna be good anyway.
For an average, one cannot give more than 10/10.

So what is the average : 5+3+6+10+7+10=41/60

68,34% not so exciting after all! And the upgrade is quiet expensive (319€) for V6 Pro users who just paid at least 200€ for the last update...

Anyway, Ive tried to run out of logic. Tried with ProTools but unfortunately it was too poor for Midi. (of couse not for the Audio where ProTools is King!!).

And now I found the great solution using Reason for Midi in Rewire Mode with Protools for the Audio. More than that with FXpansion you can get all the VST plugs in RTAS.

So, the power of Reason for MIDI (believe me it rocks!), sampler, synths, matrix, vocoder,...; the power of ProTools for Audio (who doubt it?); and the power and diversity of VST plugs. What can you ask more?

You really should try it.
And forget about (il)Logic!

Cheers

Pwolfy
Reason 4
Ableton Live 6
Old 10-06-2004, 06:02 AM

I sense another long Logic thread coming..

Anyway, I have my Logic 7 waiting and will try installing in the next few days - interesting to note the above comments about stability, I'll let you know what happens for me.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:06 AM

Hmm u you might be right about being too generous, i might try running logic in tandem with protools and see how it goes that way, i dont know if rewire works from logic to protools might give t a try as for reason, well ill have to try the demo and see how that goes
Old 10-06-2004, 07:01 AM

Quote:
i might try running logic in tandem with protools and see how it goes that way, i dont know if rewire works from logic to protools might give t a try
It works thru the IAC bus. But I dont think that Rewire works between Logic and ProTools. Still you'll have the instability of Logic...

Quote:
as for reason, well ill have to try the demo and see how that goes
You'll see it Rocks even better than Logic in MIDI as everything is internal : no latency at all!!!

The only hicup is that you cannot control external synth with Reason.
But still, you can work on a laptop to a very hi degree level and emulate your ext synth with the internal's one of Reason (meaning you can create everywhere!). Once you're done and are ready for the production process, you can transfer the MIDI needed for external synth into ProTools. At that stage the MIDI of ProTools is really sufficient.

Have fun!
Reason 4
Ableton Live 6
Old 10-06-2004, 09:03 AM

It's dissapointing to hear that it's still crashing.
When we went to OSX we were forced to upgrade from Logic V3 which worked just fine and very rarely crashed to Logic Platinum which crashes roughly every 90 minutes. This thing crashes even when it's not being used. I could leave for lunch, come back and there's a note from Logic saying that IT'S gone out for lunch.
What's the word with WBP? Anyone tried it?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 AM

My copy of Logic 7 is on the way, and it'll be interesting to see how well it works. Logic Pro 6 has been very stable for me.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-06-2004, 12:24 PM

I have never had logic 6 crash. TDM LE or any other interface.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:12 PM

WaveBurner Pro?

Do tell
Old 10-06-2004, 01:21 PM

It's dissapointing to hear that it's still crashing.

pilot error for sure Like saying my new porsche crashed becuase the brakes do not work !