Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Logic Pro 7

http://www.apple.com/logic/
Old 09-29-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 7

I've been thinking about switching to Logic for years. After giving up DP for PT I have missed a lot of the MIDI/DAW features that PT is lacking. This upgrade looks amazing. How well does Logic integrate with HD hardware these days? By far the coolest thing is the distributed audio processing. I could imagine getting a couple of Dual G4s off eBay and sticking them in another room connected with ethernet. Could be very cool.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I could imagine getting a couple of Dual G4s off eBay and sticking them in another room connected with ethernet.
It requires G5's.

Logic 7 looks great, though. I hope that interfacing with TDM will be improved. We'll soon see.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-29-2004, 07:54 AM

It's a shame the screenshots are so small, and non clickable. I'd like a better look at the interface improvements.
Still, the new instruments certainly look the part
Old 09-29-2004, 07:58 AM

It's nice to have this out in the open after so much much smoke on the DUC. I agree with Lee, let's hope the TDM via ESB support has been improved. Wonderful update though.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:29 AM

Well Digi......The Cards are laid on the table!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I could imagine getting a couple of Dual G4s off eBay and sticking them in another room connected with ethernet.
It requires G5's.

Logic 7 looks great, though. I hope that interfacing with TDM will be improved. We'll soon see.

Not according to Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/logic/distributedaudio.html

Organic Growth
Optimized for all current Apple Macintosh computers, Logic Pro 7 makes highly efficient use of the CPU processing power in both G4 and G5 single and dual processor systems. This allows more complex musical arrangements, featuring more software instruments and effects, than ever. The new distributed audio processing feature offers a plug-and-play solution that provides the ability to tap networked computers for even more DSP processing power. Using standard network technology makes it simple to set up a new installation, or add to an existing one. Should your demands grow, you can easily expand your network and benefit from the latest processor technology available.

and

How It Works

A distributed audio network requires at least two Apple computers running Mac OS X version 10.3 or later, with one acting as a master system (1GHz G4 or faster recommended) and additional computers serving as “nodes” (G5 recommended). Logic node software uses each G5 computer as an additional processor for your Logic Pro 7 system. You may install Logic Node on an unlimited number of Macs. Gigabit Ethernet provides the best performance. If you use more than one node, the switch that manages them must be Gigabit to avoid data transfer bottlenecks.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:36 AM

BTW is it shipping yet and does anyone know if there are cross-platform (From Digital Performer) upgrades available?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:07 AM

I'm seriously thinking of selling my HD1, and investing in a G5 (while keeping my current dual 1gig G4 as a node). I mostly am a composer, but also do mixing/ sweetening for commercials, documentaries, indie features, and game sfx.

I've used protools for 10 years, but TDM just costs too damn much.

I'll be able to upgrade my Logic platinum 6 to Logic 7 for $299?!?!? That's pretty damn cool.

I was worried that the Apple purchase of Emagic was going to be a bad thing, but I like what they have done so far.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:12 AM

It's available to buy (including upgrades) on the Apple store now but it's estimated arrival is for the end of Oct.