Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Rumours of Logic 7

I know my stand on the rumors concerning Logic 7 (if they are true) might come under fire...but so be it...
I am primarily a Composer and so Logic was/and is my primary concern...there seems to be no question that Logic is the superior Sequencing Program as compared with Pro Tools..
In fact my only motivation in purchasing a Pro Tools System was to utilize it's DSP power intergrated with Logic.
With so many problems to that end ....I say if Apple /Emagic can step up to the plate and deliver a system that intergrates it's superb sequencing capabilities with some "Cutting Edge"DSP capabilities and Computer Linkig????....By all means do the dam thing!!!!
You know the intergration will be on and One could get on with making Music with a minimal of technical [bleep] to be burdened by.
Of Course the downside is a lot of people have invested a lot of money into their systems....so I do hope that Apple/Emagic keeps the Digi Customers in the loop....As for myself a truly intergrated Sequencer/High End DSP ....Computer System would suit me just fine.
There are people being killed in Iraq everyday...this inconvenience ain't [bleep] compared to that....not that there won't be bugs to deal with...Hell this is Digital Audio..We all know that's part of the life that we have chose....But to be able to have a powerful ,Stable intergrated system For me any way would be worth the price...Hell You could Probably sell your [bleep] on EBay......I just hope they keep the Pro's Happy

Just My Opinion,

Thothprod
Old 09-17-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Rumours of Logic 7

I have a protools HD 7 Accel. I find on large Mix sessions I can do well over 120 tracks with 250 + plugins playing a session with 1000's of edits. with the CPU meter hardly getting touched. Plus with low latency, it's pretty hard when I use logic when I get About 50 tracks the system gets pretty loaded down. I can't see native systems getting more powerfull for a few more years.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:51 AM

You might be right....but then again you might not.......The debate between Native vs.DSP based has been raging for a while...However I've never heard talk of being able to link computers to work on the same task in anything but scientific applications....Also don't forget Emagic has been in the Hardware game for a while....( Unitor andAMT midi interfaces....EMT usb interfaces...some input with Mackie with the Mackie/Logic Control Surfaces...and even though it hardly came to pro level..the Audiowerks Audio interfaces)...And I'm sure they have been looking at Digi Products for a long time...and vice-versa)
Further they have the inside scoop with Apple....I am sure they can come up with a viable DSP component..It's just a matter of if they made it a priority!!!
And further the system would be a sort of extended Native based system(with the Computer linking)
and with a DSP audio Interface..ie Pro Tools...and the Geeks they got at Apple and Emagic...hey you see where I'm going with this...i mean just a couple years ago there was no Audio Units or Core Audio and Core Midi...
It may well be that a couple of years is here (if the rumours be true...It really wouldn't be a native system as weve become accustom to...it would be Native/DSP under one ROOF....with added extended Computer configuration potential....If you bought a HD accel system with Interface..scsi...etc....you could spend over 20k easy...I'm willing to bet that even if you got 3 G5's to link...you would still be price competive to a full Pro Tool rig
But WE Shall SEE...

Peace,

Thothprod
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM

this topic I am very interested in

keep em coming
Old 09-17-2004, 01:25 PM

Actually alot of animation rendering and graphics rendering is done over networks. I thought. I know they teach anime at the school I work at and they process it over a network of 12 PCs. I read on a Logic forum they are working on audio processing over a fiber optic connection. but you know about those forum freaks always talking to much about vapor ware. ha. Personally I couldnt imagine apple not doin this.

i read that apple is going to add real time pitch control of audio files in their arrange page. Basicaly it will function exactly like Acid does. There will be a timeline like the volume automation line that you can automate up and down to change the pitch of what ever file is playing on that track. damn. that would make logic a very powerful song writing/productions tool. fo shizzle.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:54 PM

Yo West Philly...I am here in Detroit...much Love...thanks a lot for Rasheed Wallace...he took The Pistons over the edge.
You seem to know a little 'bout this network thing...I aint quite a "Geek" yet....I do know that Gigabit 10/100/1000 is pretty intense on the ethernet tip...Apple has had that standard from the latter G4's...so my question to you (if you can answer )....is do you think this multi computer thing(if it is true...in conjuction with some "Cutting Edge" Intergrated DSP under one Roof (Apple/Emagic)...might possibly throw the game onto another LEVEL...
I mean we just talking here but if the rumours be anything close to truth,,,that's exactly what's gettin ready to "Jump Off".........I put this to West Philly...but anyone is free to jump in....Oh Yeah Philly is a hell of a Music Town...even " Coltrane " did his formative years there.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:37 PM

Digidesign went so far in this field alone without a strong competitor.
It is time for a STRONG CHALLANGER!
And if it will be Apple-Logic than that would be even better.
It will bring the prices down.
I don't know about you guys but for me Digidesign's TDM prices are hard to be justified. They and some third party plug-in developers are way over the reality limit.

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 09-17-2004, 04:08 PM

Hello. Let's See. Closed System. Proprietary. Charges a premium way beyond most competitors. Has shown a propensity to monopolistic practices in the past. Is this a company we want to be the leader in our industry? I didn't think so. However it gets a free pass from a lot of people within our industry. And of course I am talking about Apple.

It's amazing to me how throughout the years I have seen people rail against Digidesign and give Apple a free pass on the exact same issues. Digidesign is the Apple of audio software. I agree that monoplies are never good for any market. A strong competition benefits the consumer. However I am not so sure I would like Apple to be the one to take hold. They have shown to me that if given the chance, they would be just as monopolistic and proprietary as Digidesign. So what would we really gain there?

For the record, I personally don't believe if the audio industry goes Native that Digidesign would necessarily disappear or that the main competitior would replace Pro Tools as the almost exclusive product. I think it would more probably go towards two or three main products sharing the market. That would be most welcomed.

I know for a fact however a lot of people would not mind one bit if Apple bought out Digidesign for example and dropped PC support. Or if Apple created the mythical Pro Tools Killer and by that effect effectively killed PC's in the audio industry. Again, monopolies are never good and Mac's have enjoyed that in the audio industry for far too long. Not much is gained by allowing this to continue.

Let us hope that Native does become the audio industry standard, let us also hope that several applications share the market and let us hope that both platforms thrive.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:15 PM

News FLash!!!...I feel like a gossipy old lady ...but what the hell
Just got off the line with my sells Rep. at Sweetwater Sounds...
He informed me the Apple/Emagic folks have set up a day next month ( entire day )...to train their staff on Logic 7...he states that such an occurence is extremely rare...I have purchased many items there and have even went to their store in Indiana...they have got to be one of the best places to get tech support and info in this whole Digital Audio Circus...they were even in on the development of DRIVE RACK STUDIO.
Of course this doesn't make the rumours true...however it does tell me that something MAJOr is going down with Logic 7...Everyone knows Apple has a policy of not annoucing new products until 30 days prior to release...if the rumours are true that might explain why Logic/Digidesign intergration has been getting worse and not better....I'm keeping my fingers crossed....This would be Major if only part of it is true....if all is true we are looking at a new(and hopefully) new day in Digital Audio...

Thoth Prod
Old 09-17-2004, 04:41 PM

To Froyo...I feel and agree with your whole statement...and what you wish for is what should happen...I guess if you are like me I just want to be able to render some good music...with the minimum hassle and at the best price....and sometimes that puts you in a politically awkward position..
That said even if the rumours pan out ...I don't see the end of Digidesign as a viable entity....it has been around so long and only the lord knows how much good music has been pumped out thru ProTools systems....But as you seemed to imply (please excuse if I interpreted wrong )...Digidesign has been kind of monopolistic...and I am sure that they have been trying to get the ups on every major Native system out there...this is america...and accept it or not this is how the game is played...
Digidesign ain't gone roll over and die...and I think in the long run it will only benefit those of us just trying to produce a good product and earn a living doing something we love...by forcing the developers to create better products at more reasonable rates.

Peace

Thothprod