Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 04:39 PM

Default pci and pci x

Will DIGI eventually only use PCI X and makes us buy new computers again?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: pci and pci x

Probably not. PCI-X is different from PCI-Express. PCI-Express is the wave of the future in PC land, so it's doubtful that Apple will stick w/ PCI-X for future Power Macs. Digi would certainly not come out w/ PCI-X cards and alienate PC users (it seems that they are focusing increasing amounts of attention on the PC side).
Old 08-24-2004, 08:47 PM

Quote:
(it seems that they are focusing increasing amounts of attention on the PC side).
Yes I noticed this too !!! It seems they don't love us Mac users anymore (pout) (whine, whine, whimper, whimper)

I heard rumors that actually this whole HD systems and 6.4 run better on PC's because more focus went to PC's this time around than Macs, because Digi figured they already "have" Mac users,, now lets get the PC users --

Hence, they accidently made it super streamline and slightly more efficent on a PC than on Mac this time around --

Just what I heard --
Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 PM

I would also guess that Apple will move over to PCI-express at some point. They just didn't want to do it yet because it would be like admitting they made a mistake to move over after just one generation.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
(it seems that they are focusing increasing amounts of attention on the PC side).
Yes I noticed this too !!! It seems they don't love us Mac users anymore (pout) (whine, whine, whimper, whimper)

I heard rumors that actually this whole HD systems and 6.4 run better on PC's because more focus went to PC's this time around than Macs, because Digi figured they already "have" Mac users,, now lets get the PC users --

Hence, they accidently made it super streamline and slightly more efficent on a PC than on Mac this time around --

Just what I heard --
You heard wrong...<g>

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Just what I heard --

[/QUOTE]

You heard wrong...<g>

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but that is your customer's perception, but u wouldn't believe that would u? sing along - im living in a corporate bubble...one more time.

Here's an acid test, write a core audio driver that meets your customers expectations ie full multi client support- is a good citizen on OS X and plays nice with 3rd party apps. Write kernel extensions that DON'T interfere with OS X's 'forced sleep mode, and while your at it a version of PT that actually maintains the level of reliability as your obsolesced Mac OS 9x versions.

Start using Apple's developer tools, and optimize PT for Apple hardware, make a concerted effort to write re-entrant, finely threaded OSX SMP code for ALL versions of Pro Tools.

Being arrogant enough to disallow us to use 3rd party apps by intentionally crippling the core audio driver is one thing, but to severely and intentionally penalize PT's performance (your own so wonderful software your so adamant we all use) is nothing short of insidious.

People who muse about Apple owning Digidesign are deluded... more likely, Digidesign has become Microsoft's evil twin!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:

...u wouldn't believe that would u? sing along - im living in a corporate bubble...one more time.

Being arrogant enough... (your own so wonderful software your so adamant we all use) is nothing short of insidious.

...Digidesign has become Microsoft's evil twin!
I know that we are all passionate about Pro Tools and wanting it to become better and better, or else we wouldn't get so worked up about the smallest details about it, but I think what you said was pretty tactless. Especially straight to Danny's response. I was nicely surprised that people at Digi actively scoured the boards and replied to its customers. Most larger software companies keep anything that's going on about the development behind tightly closed doors until they release the "What's New in This Version" document. People like Danny Caccavo and the staff behind DigiTechSupt listening to us tear their program apart is fabulous. Digi hasn't forgotten the Mac users, and they won't stop trying to make it better. They aren't close to being Microsoft's lackey.

Targon, you brought up some good points about issues with Pro Tools and suggestions of what could be done, and telling Digi is better than not saying anything. But on this forum you got to remember, at the core of it, we aren't dealing with some huge corporate entity, we're actually dealing with people. And people don't like assumptions being made about them. But maybe that's just me...
Old 08-25-2004, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I would also guess that Apple will move over to PCI-express at some point. They just didn't want to do it yet because it would be like admitting they made a mistake to move over after just one generation.
Apple doesn't make mistakes. It only innovates. I've been stranded by Apples "innovation" more times than I care to remember. The average production life of any new Mac is less than a year. If they dump PCI-X, it will be a "feature" not a failure.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM

Hello. This is always more than just a little humorous to me. Did you guys know thay you can't play a DV through Firewire in the Windows version? Or that you can't import audio from a CD either? Or that the Digidesign MIDI interface doesn't support the Windows version? These are some of the shortcomings of the PC version of Pro Tools.

When Apple announced the G5, Digidesign was very vocal about supporting it and how important it was for them to step on board. Press releases, DUC announcements, trade magazine interviews, etc. AMD released their own version of a 64 bit chip some months later and all you heard from Digidesign is absolutely not one single word. To this day they have not made one single official word on the topic.

TDM systems are virtually all 100% Mac.

Last time I heard about the only software that performs well and happy with OSX is Logic. Also, last time I checked, OSX has gone through 3 to 5 major revisions in the last 6 months alone or so. Windows XP has not had one single change in about two years or more.

Most of what you hear about Pro Tools running better or faster on PC is LE based or RTAS running on TDM's. Isn't it just possible that this maybe because PC's are just plain faster and have more DSP muscle?

How does all that fit into the 'Digidesign is trying to drop Mac' theory.

It is possible that regardless of all facts, Mac users still feel slighted. Whether there is any truth to that or not, they may truly feel this way. There is not many things that Digidesign can do for that. You can't prove a negative. If someone is convinced there is a 'conspiracy' against them, it is impossible to prove otherwise. No facts will help there.

I sometimes feel the only thing that will make people who use Mac's exclusively happy is if Digidesign dropped PC's altogether like Logic did. That way they would feel a warm glow of reassurance that they are again the 'chosen people'. Anything short of that they will always have a grassy knoll theory.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Windows XP has not had one single change in about two years or more.
XP gets updates on a daily basis. Some of those updates include changes more significant than the dot changes in OSX. Also, SP2 is coming to send all us, er, I mean, "those" PC users in to incompatiblity hell. There's also a 64 bit version coming.