Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: 7 ?

32 tracks is fine, but 16 internal busses ??? we need more busses and hardware that is capable of more i/o, the 32 track limitation is ok...
Old 09-27-2004, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It would be awesome as long as it really is a 32 Preamp, mic channel device. And not some 32 channel mixture of say 8 mic pres and a bunch of utterly useless TRS inputs for i suppose for anyone other than keyboard freaks.
How about: "people other than keyboard freaks and people with ears who like their mics to sound musical"?

You seriously want to pay money for 32 Digi mic pres? They sound totally gravelly to me, especially if you have to use them with the internal converters.

It's bad enough that my 002 rack is nothing more than an expensive dongle, since I use outboard A/D and D/A as well as outboard mic pres. Lets not give Digi any bad ideas. We'll take the TRS inputs.

do you people not read anything but the first few posts before replying with an ignorant response? because if it's a bunch of TRS, you're still using Digi's "gravely" A/D. The Mic Pres on the 002 are not the best, but they aren't shabby either. I have had the chance to use pres that costs $100 and pres that cost $3000, and the ones on the 002 are solid, clean sounding PreAmps. You're right about the thing bieing a big ass dongle. But If they are not going let their customers interface with other equipment (and lots of it) digitally, than coming out with a scalable system of MicPres/A/D converters (like the MOTU 896) is a good idea. It's smaller than an 002r and even has ADAT and Stereo AES/EBU on the back for your own "non-gravely" sounding PreAmps.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:39 AM

Why not put a few USB ports on any new Digi interface so users can plug the stoopid USB ilok into so we dont be using USB ports on that are already tied up with other companies stuoopid@ss'd USB dongles on PowerBooks?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Why not put a few USB ports on any new Digi interface so users can plug the stoopid USB ilok into so we dont be using USB ports on that are already tied up with other companies stuoopid@ss'd USB dongles on PowerBooks?
best idea so far !
Old 09-27-2004, 05:51 PM

32 tk's may be o.k for you - but every single LE user I know is screaming for more. BTW, I find the 18 channel i/o on my 002 sufficient, but yes to more busses.

32 tracks is o.k only for certain types of music. I'm getting mixes that have 16 tk's of vox, and require upwards 16 tk's of drums/perc. It'd be nice to be able to add in some instrumentation.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 09-27-2004, 06:27 PM

I wish that somebody would start properly testing the converters in boxes like these. It would be nice to have something less subjective than 'gravely' to describe a box, and to be able to quantify the improvement obtained by spending a lot more money. And if the 002 converters are so bad, how can you tell that the preamps aren't shabby? There are no direct outs...

Yes, ultimately, it all comes down to sound. But these things can also be measured.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 PM

Quote:
the 32 track limitation is ok
No its not. My drum tracks eat up 13 and a vocal comp another 5-10. A few guitar scratch tracks and I'm done. Playlists you say? Well I like to see my regions together so I can cut and paste without administrating which playlist has what - do-able yes but annoying. That is the feature I miss from logic- auto createrd tracks while making vocal and lead solo passes.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-27-2004, 07:19 PM

32 STEREO tracks would be OK for me, but I'm one of those keyboard players.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:22 PM

Now there's an idea! That's really good. I'd like to have 32 individual tracks, regardless of whether they are stereo or mono. It's only software.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:38 PM

I agree, 32 tracks is not acceptable. I just made a very simple song that is nothing more then a synth, drums, and bass, and used 25 tracks. And please don't say ''Then go to another app'', 'cause I accept the 32 track bit, thats why im still with PT. Other companies offer unlimited tracks with there native systems..I think digi should at least up the track count to 40 or 48. Look at Cubase SE, they get 48 tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks, and thats a native version of THERE native version. Also also gets full delay compensation, didn't PT TDM just get that? And thats SL not even SX. Believe me, in no way am I a Cubase lover. Actually I hate the program. But it just doesn't make sense that PT is so scared of losing TDM customers by adding more tracks and other features that could easily be implemented.