Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: I shall pro tools no more

Mersis - I do like Logic and you will like it. I wonder why you haven't looked at Digital Performer 4? It's very Logic like but from what I have seen - less gimmicky.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-23-2004, 05:22 PM

Infa - is that a scientific poll?

I'm born and raised right here in the U.S. and I find Logic easy to use. I find my production time has gotten faster with Logic. I know I've been pretty open about working mostly in Logic lately but it's not from a distaste of digi or ProTools. Just personal preference and major horsepower on the G5 dual. The core audio driver works great with my 002 R.

Mersis - you'll get a good chunk of change for the 001. They seem to have gone up in price over the past month. If Logic doesn't work you'll find something else or Digi will come out with a version that gives you what you need. You never know.

Anyway - no need to leave DUC. The best thing about it is that Digi lets you talk about other products and pretty much anything.

This is a cool forum.

Good luck.

Carl
Old 09-23-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Infa - is that a scientific poll?

Carl
(LOL) Na,, like I said it was no where near a scientific poll,,, just what I gathered from them percentages I said amongst everyone I know, and people they know, and music aquantinces..... And remember I said MOST, not ALL. But it is a high most !!

It just seems to take a "Spock" (the guy from star trek) type of guy to be able to get along with Logic and it's un-understandable, out of this world, makes no sense interface.... Logic is like a Japanese Car that no mechanic understands how to fix -- BUT Pro Tools is like a CHEVY ,-- anyone can work on them !!!! Why ?? Because they make complete and utter sense. They are more simple. AND ACTUALLY RUN A HELL OF ALOT BETTER !!!!! (and look cooler too all raced up) (Hence Snoop Doggs famous line: "If it ain't a Chevy race it up !!")

The only thing that made sense to me on Logic is "Play" and "Stop".. Everything else is built by foreigners for foreigners...
(but don't get me wrong I am no proud american, I think this country sucks, and is deceitful to say the least, I am just making a valid point that that program is made mainly by foreigners for themselves. And it should be. I am proud of them).. Its more "techy" based, just like them SSL workers, and Pro Tools is more "soul based". You can not know what your doing, but be so talented at music you can still make it sound good record it, and engineer it with Pro Tools, practically on accident !!... ya know ??

Sure you can learn Logic. But to me once you have to try sooo hard to learn something, then it must be doing something WRONG.. (IMO)

I don't think anyone can sit here and tell me Pro Tools is NOT easy to learn, and that it is harder to learn than Logic...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 PM

err Pro Tools would rule if it had midi like Cubase NOT Logic. 10 mins is all it takes to familiarize yourself in the Key Editor and another 30 mins an your ready to start using it with confidence. Barf at Logic's retarded Matrix, what a joke, after a few months i still cant do what Cubase SX can do in 2 seconds.

PT= ez of use and intuitivenes + Cubase SX ez of use and intuitiveness = a perfect couple ;-)

barf on Logic , unbelievable how stupidly designed that thing is. WHy Apple ? why buy emagic barf...Steinberg would have made a better choice to buy specially if they wanted Core Audio and Audio Units to kill off VST. Emagic always followed Steinberg....who would they have followed then?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 PM

my main complaint about pro tools midi is the need for 2 tracks they should have it so all you need is to put the instrument on the midi fader
Old 09-23-2004, 10:02 PM

ahhhh, is that it good ol' buddy ??? Don't leave us because of 1 extra track -- Come on dude

You know that track doesn't count as a track right ?? Its a Midi track, and you can have alot of them puppies in conjuction with real audio tracks. But your Midi tracks don't count as part of your 32 track limit...
Old 09-23-2004, 10:47 PM

well I had a 001 so maybe now you understand why I couldnt stick around

I need to start working in 96 k

Iwould surround sound soon

as I said I make beats and the instruments are cool in, Logic though a little too dancey for me

18 io wasnt cutting for me ( for mixing only )

I like the uad1 plugins too much to limit they performance

In logic performance is boosted ( i only have a sp g4 )

well you get the idea
Old 09-23-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
it seems that about 95% of everyone I know, run into, or hear about that makes music in Europe ALL use Logic, and say Pro Tools is cool, but midi aint cool enough, and they prefer Logic !!! It's amazing,,it's like a Europeon must have developed Logic or something, and therefore it's characteristics just make sense to them, and not us (as much anyway)...... Europeon people must just be like 20 times more smart than us or something... Who invented the SSL ?? Who still makes the best consoles, gear, etc... ?? People from Europe -- (SSL is all I should have to say!!!)
you might be true about us europeans being smarter than you americans (no offense), but you definetely got your percentage wrong... as an european making music in europe i would say that protools is being used in 90% of studios over here, and logic is being used in about 35% of studios, and some even use the old "paris" system because it "sounds more analog".

now how many people use protools/logic as the primary system? hard to say, as protools is still the de-facto platform that MUST EXIST in a studio. a great deal of protools users are evaluating alternatives, but most logic people use it all the time having protools as a secondary system if someone should insist on using it in a project. i'd however say that the reason is not that we europeans would somehow like logic better than protools, but more like LOGIC RUNS BETTER THAN PROTOOLS ON CURRENT APPLE HARDWARE !!!

DIGI, hear this, we europeans have noticed that your software is slower than the competing system, and many of us have reasoned that protools might not be the best value anymore. just take a look at OS9 protools systems and OSX protools systems and you cannot deny the fact - protools osx sucks big time. terrible lags and only partially implemented support for multiple processors. reality is, if protools seven isn't a lot faster in osx than the current system, a lot more european studios will move to Logic. i know it takes time and unix is a new thing (compared to classic and windows), but please, do the work and make it faster!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:29 AM

LOL -- --

But seriously -- ,,,

AMEN !!! To that ---

And as far as my evaluations, I was basing them mainly with personal (wanna be pro's/wanna be having a real studio) people that I know, and run across...They are the ones who fell under my calculation percentages..

I know for sure most real big, actual, professional, open to the public studios run Pro Tools.. All across the damn world....

But enough of that crap -- I wanna back you up on this damn PRo Tools 6.4 and OS X man --- Digi -- ADDRESS IT !!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:36 AM

Logic has always been a major part in the core of a studio/as far as midi is concerned!It has soo many functions that PT does not have(midi score page is the one major)!& Even though Pro Tools is way easier to use,the quality of audio itself falls in comparison to not only Logic but most definatly Nuendo also!(MY OWN OPINION)
The Idea that digi are gonna release another LE system actually stinks, because they have not fully supported their software(so as to compete with the Logic/Cubase/Nuendo)we pay more money for the hardware/which seems to be buggy(power supply errors,non compatible with G5,issues using Firewire drives,& im sure theres more)yet we dont have surround(forget about high track counts for the moment)we dont utilise dual processors,the altivec engine,latency issues)They dont even let the source for Rtas out(unless ur payin big money)
I love my 002,it has always worked for me the way i wanted it too,but im sick of the updates!The way both Apple & Digi constantly make people feel like they need to ugrade,(its sick!& greedy

There is no emotocon that can truly xpress my feelings on this,but face facts, Logic Rocks!!