Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2000, 03:33 PM

Default PT LE and EMU sampler SCSI

I will be buying a computer soon, probably PC, so that I can share Premiere PC files with my friend, and PCs are cheaper. I have an Emu e6400 ultra sampler with SCSI 2 Centronics in the back. I want to be able to use Emu's software for controlling the sampler via SCSI and I also want to use SCSI drives for PT LE. I don't want to have to buy more than one SCSI card to get use out of my sampler and Pro Tools. Has anyone run a similar configuration?

Also, I want to edit/mix audio for a miniDV feature in PT LE and transfer audio back to Adobe Premiere for final output to miniDV. I know there may arise some sync issues. Does anyone know if Premiere has time compression, or is there a better fix just in Pro Tools LE?

Also, (sorry) is there going to be a video import option soon for the PC version of PT LE?
Old 09-29-2000, 12:15 AM

Default Re: PT LE and EMU sampler SCSI

Unfortunately, the EOS (E6400) OS only supports connection to a MAC and does not support connection to a PC. I have an E6400 connected to my mac and it works beautifully with my PT Mix+ System. The other problem that you might encounter having the Ext. Drives on the same SCSI chain as E6400, is you run the risk of slowing down your transfer rate on the SCSI Bus. You would get PCI Bus errors and possibly a reduced track count due to the slower bus. You should make sure your ext drives for the 001 are SCSI-3 or better for the best performance. I'm not sure of your exact application but I strongly suggest getting a MAC if your most important apps will be Audio & Video. Sorry for the bad news.... Hope this helps. -MT
Old 10-02-2000, 02:44 PM

What are you talking about????

I have an e6400 and a Pentium III (and a digi001)

The connection works fantabulous (once I sorted out all of the kinks). The only problem I have had with the scsi is that I have a CD-Rom in my computer and a scsi HD in the e6400. When I do a backup of a cd to the hard drive and have the EOS link program up and running, everything locks up. I think there is too much information on the SCSI bus for the SMDI to update properly. Without EOS Link running, it works beautifully.

However, I plan to rip out the scsi hd (its only 4 gig) and drop in an IDE drive ( $300 gets you 40 gig)

Since you load samples off the hd, you're not going to get much contention with pro tools (because you shouldn't be recording and loading samples - loading is too slow)
Old 10-02-2000, 04:01 PM

Just a word of caution: AFAIK, you can't have two different SCSI speeds on the same SCSI bus. Once you've hooked up the SCSI-2 sampler, your SCSI bus will then run at that speed, not an Ultra (or faster) SCSI speed.

I run my sampler and my CDRW from the SCSI-2 bus, but not hard drives.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-04-2000, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the help. Yall are awesome. I'm probably gonna go with a Mac G4 though. I'm gonna do some DV editing as well.

Now if I don't have the hard drives for the computer (Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro) on the same bus/chain as the sampler - - which SCSI card do you recommend for the one with the sampler. Also, would it be intelligent to run streaming media (Pro Tools audio and video) off a bus that isn't SCSI?

Now about my two other questions? (read my first post) Sync to Video? Sync or transfer to Final Cut or Premiere?

Thanks.