Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Default Re: which is best firewire interface for a iMac?

You could consider a HD Native / Omni setup, but youd be getting less features, stability, worse converters and pres, etc.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaero View Post
You could consider a HD Native / Omni setup, but youd be getting less features, stability, worse converters and pres, etc.

From what I've read, and I've yet to hear any of these I will admit, the new HD interfaces are suppose to be on par with best gear out there. At least as far as the converters go. And I'm not saying the Metric Halo isn't worth it. I'm just saying if I was gonna spend that kind of cash I'd try everything else in it's price range also. Just to be sure.

Also am I understanding correctly that the ULN-8 is an 8-channel interface. You can daisychain multiple units, but they're only 8 channels each?? Just making sure.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 PM

8 channels of preamps / converters 16 channel total. (also 8 channels of digi in/out)
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Talking Re: which is best firewire interface for a iMac?

Just picked up a Apogee Duet to try out PT 9 with. I was so impressed with it that
I found a secondhand Apogee Ensemble for a 1000euro as new.
My LE set has never sounded so good.
Best 1000bucks I've ever spent on hardware.
very nice pre's , really not use to this quality on LE .
Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPT View Post
very nice pre's , really not use to this quality on LE .
That's because it's not LE.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
I am afraid, the ULN-8 is a little to rich for at the moment ( iam also lusting for a Chandler TG2 ...). So what do you guys think about the apogee ensemble or a RME fireface 800?
Fireface 800 is a great box with super stable drivers. With one of those you can have up to 28 i/o!

It was a wish come true to be able to use it with pro tools
Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM

You have several choices from Metric Halo to consider:
ULN8 - 8 mic preamps with 90dB of usable hiss free gain, 8 AES i/o, top of the line, A/D, D/A, Ultra-sharc based onboard DSP processing, 18 sends and 18 returns via Firewire, built in zero latency monitoring, a pile of plugins etc. The analog outputs of all metric halo boxes will drive headphones, so you can build up to 8 headphone mixes and drive 8 sets of headphones (mono) right from the ULN8. Oh yeah and it also has two DI's on the front panel. And a built in monitor control subsystem (where all volume is managed in the analog domain). Street price under $5500.

LIO-8 Same A/D, D/A, same DSP, same FW send and return, same zero latency monitoring as the ULN8. Under $3500 street with no mic amps or +DSP option. You can add ULN8 mic preamps in groups of 4 for about $650 (per group of 4), you can add the +DSP option for another $650-$700.

2882 - 8 channels of A/D, D/A with similar performance to Digi 192i/o (IMO). same DSP, FW i/o as ULN8, 8 channels of mic preamps (mid range), 8 analog out (I use them for everything from monitors to headphones). 8 channels of ADAT in and ADAT out, 2 channels of AES or SPDIF in and out. Street price $1750 - $2300 depending on DSP config.

ULN2 - 2 channels of A/D, D/A, 2 very good mic preamps plus all the digital i/o and DSP of the 2882.

All the Metric Halo boxes have the same 18 send and return on firewire. Many people sum in their MH boxes using the 80 bit mixer. Which I think sounds killer.

All Metric Halo boxes have the same DSP capability (as long as the +DSP feature is included).

I went from an HD3 system with 192i/o with 16 analog inputs to a ULN8. I also replaced my Cranesong Trakkers (2), Distressors (2), Great River MV-2NP, an API3124+ and 2 Daking FET comps. This was three years ago. Never looked back and the quality increase is amazing (not to mention how much lower my electric bill is). The only thing I had to give up was PT, but not anymore.

Steve Devino
1-603-867-6843
Old 11-22-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdevino View Post
You have several choices from Metric Halo to consider:
ULN8 - 8 mic preamps with 90dB of usable hiss free gain, 8 AES i/o, top of the line, A/D, D/A, Ultra-sharc based onboard DSP processing, 18 sends and 18 returns via Firewire, built in zero latency monitoring, a pile of plugins etc. The analog outputs of all metric halo boxes will drive headphones, so you can build up to 8 headphone mixes and drive 8 sets of headphones (mono) right from the ULN8. Oh yeah and it also has two DI's on the front panel. And a built in monitor control subsystem (where all volume is managed in the analog domain). Street price under $5500.

LIO-8 Same A/D, D/A, same DSP, same FW send and return, same zero latency monitoring as the ULN8. Under $3500 street with no mic amps or +DSP option. You can add ULN8 mic preamps in groups of 4 for about $650 (per group of 4), you can add the +DSP option for another $650-$700.

2882 - 8 channels of A/D, D/A with similar performance to Digi 192i/o (IMO). same DSP, FW i/o as ULN8, 8 channels of mic preamps (mid range), 8 analog out (I use them for everything from monitors to headphones). 8 channels of ADAT in and ADAT out, 2 channels of AES or SPDIF in and out. Street price $1750 - $2300 depending on DSP config.

ULN2 - 2 channels of A/D, D/A, 2 very good mic preamps plus all the digital i/o and DSP of the 2882.

All the Metric Halo boxes have the same 18 send and return on firewire. Many people sum in their MH boxes using the 80 bit mixer. Which I think sounds killer.

All Metric Halo boxes have the same DSP capability (as long as the +DSP feature is included).

I went from an HD3 system with 192i/o with 16 analog inputs to a ULN8. I also replaced my Cranesong Trakkers (2), Distressors (2), Great River MV-2NP, an API3124+ and 2 Daking FET comps. This was three years ago. Never looked back and the quality increase is amazing (not to mention how much lower my electric bill is). The only thing I had to give up was PT, but not anymore.

Steve Devino
Good to know. Def makes the 2882 and lio-8 look very appealing. From what I've read you can daisy chain these? Maybe start off with a 2882 and add the lio or uln-8 later for the full 32 I/O (well 36 but 32 in pt9) later? Anyone comment on how that works. I'm gonna go do some more research. :)
Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Good to know. Def makes the 2882 and lio-8 look very appealing. From what I've read you can daisy chain these? Maybe start off with a 2882 and add the lio or uln-8 later for the full 32 I/O (well 36 but 32 in pt9) later? Anyone comment on how that works. I'm gonna go do some more research. :)
Depending on the sample rate you can run up to three MIO's on a single firewire i/o, So on Mac Pro you can actually add more via expansion slots.

Each MIO gives you 18 i/o to PT regardless of the number of preamps or converter channels. So two of any MIO would give you a full 36 i/o upto 96ksps with PT9. Then you can use the MIO mixer to determine the physical i/o to the analog or external digital world.

Keep in mind the MIO's support full surround mixing capability so you can actually do stereo, quad, 2.1, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 with a ULN8, LIO8 or 2882 without the need for the need for the CPTK upgrade from Digi.

Another thing to consider is that that volume. mute and pan in the MIO mixers are Mackie and Eucon control compatible so you can actually create a sort of automation by using appropriate midi commands in PT to control these features of the MIO mixer.

Steve

Steve
1-603-867-6843
Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Sweet. I've been looking at what options are now out there and Metric Halo has definitely made the short list. Now just gotta sell some stuff and save up the beans. Anyone know what the going price for an 002 mixer that's got the BLA HD mod????