Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 12:33 PM

Default PT vs programs which don\'t require their hardware

I use an 002R with 6.4 - - i love it, but i'm just curious what others think about the fact that PT is the only decent program that requires you to use their interfaces. I paid $1600cdn to use PT because i had to buy the 002r in order to use it. Couldn't Digidesign just sell the software for $800 or something like that? I mean there are some nice programs out there that give you the choice. I'd LOVE to use a MOTU traveller or a 24 i/o with my PT, but without having to drop whatever portion is going to the interface (002r) [in addition to the MOTU].
I guess it comes down to the fact that Pro Tools will always have to be soooooo good that no other program even comes close to it in order to keep their LE customers. TDM of course has no competition, but i think people are gonna start looking at other options very soon as far as those who can't afford a TDM system goes.

Any thoughts?

not a PT LE bashing, just a thought thrown into the wind.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: PT vs programs which don\'t require their hardware

The feeling of many, is that Pro-Tools is not in fact a software at all.

It's a system, and PTLE 6.4 is the front end GUI that runs your pro-tools system.

This is certainly the way it has been designed.

Many other companies have their own GUI (software) to run their systems, Mackie, Otari etc...

Although slowly, Digi, has made their hardware accessable by the OS, and 3rd party apps, in many eyes the GUI for the pro-tools hardware (Pro-Tools LE 6.x) is becoming less stable, as digi integrates 3rd party software, rewire, core audio system and 3rd party compat, etc... and should just leave it as a stable, front end, to run their hardware.

It's like the software that run's inside your phone for you to be able to use it.... you can't run a Nokia front end, with motorolla hardware.

These are not neccisarilly "My" personal thoughts, I agree with some, and disagree with others, (so don't flame me) I'm just offering a brief synopsis on what has been discussed at great lengths in here, in the past.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-20-2005, 01:22 PM

I came on here to ask a similar question. I was thinking of Logic in particular.
I personally like the proprietary design of Pro Tools for the same reason I like the Mac.
I do miss the stability that I had in OS 9 with Pro Tools 5 though. Not that I have huge problems with OS X and 6.7 but I had NO problems before.
One other thing to consider is that You get Windows and Mac versions of the program and are licensed for both out of the box and you can use them on as many systems as you want as long as you have the hardware connected of course.

There are pros and cons to both methods of course. When I see a nice new piece of hardware I wish sometimes that I could use it with Pro Tools but of course I can't.

Actually though, I think that it keeps the price down though because I never would have been able to get another high quality interface along with the full LE software for under $400 if I had to buy it seperately.

Compare PT LE to Logic Express which is $299, you aren't going to find an interface as good as the Mbox for the $150 so equal the price of $450 that the Mbox retails for.

I have thought of gettting Logic to compliment PT though after I started using GarageBand. I don't see GB as a competitor to PT at all but rather it is complimentary.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:32 PM

I share your sentiments, sound...

I like PTLE but am not married to the interface options Digi provides.
I will probably settle on a few other apps and hardware that will get me mobile, monitor surround, and even mix surround. I have my eye on this little box for field recording and as an ASIO driver for Vegas5+DVD for surround. I can always bring tracks back into PTLE and out of there as needed. Little home networks work great for this.

BTW with MBox's lack of compatability with most notebooks (it seems), Digi is loosing a lot of ground with first time recordists. I'll be checking out Cubase LE since I took advantage of Lexicon's Omega upgrade for less than $10-. I love their Pantheon Reverb. Plus I will be able to run all the other VST's with Cubase along with my Waves investements. I'll probably continue to do my sonic surgery with my OO2 console as well as the final mastering of surround tracks.