Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-1999, 07:05 PM

Default Re: HUI Electromagnetic Field (Part 2) The sequel

I agree Mikey. But how do we get through to Mackie? I have tried my local rep, but unfortunately that did not pan out, I'm still waiting... I sure would try anything to get this machine to work, but what?
Anybody got a suggestion?
I'm in...
Ray

[This message has been edited by Ray Fabi (edited 03-27-99).]
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 03-24-1999, 09:15 PM

Hi Ray.

How about a poignant letter to Greg Mackie himself? If anyone is game, I recommend including a copy of this thread (and the original thread that preceded this one) and send it to him FedEx overnight.

I'm about at the end of my rope with this HUI ordeal, and at this point I'm not willing to take the time to write a letter to Greg Mackie myself. I'll give this problem one or two more weeks for a solution from Mackie, and then I'll be demanding my money back if it is not resolved.

In many ways, I'll be sorry to see it go. Other than the "sticky faders" problem, I really liked this piece of gear.

About time to jump ship,
Mark Locascio
Old 03-25-1999, 12:34 AM

I am truly saddened to hear that Mackie is not seriously addressing this problem.

I can't help thinking that there is something (as far as solving this problem), missing from the equation. I'm aware of all the millions of things you and others have tried. Still I wonder... you say that if you grab the monitor or the back of the HUI that it works. So what is this adding to the equation? It doesn't seem to be an issue of YOU being grounded since you've tried using grounding plates etc. By the way did you try using grounding straps?? Does holding on to the monitor put some stray current through you body allowing the faders to work? Instead of holding the back of the HUI or a monitor could you wear the grounding strap with the other end attached to the back of the HUI or the monitor? It seems that in a well wired studio that there is not enough stray voltage around for you body to conduct to the faders.(IF this is even the principal on how the faders work) If I remember right you also tried different midi converters and cables etc. Looks like Mackie is really blowing it by saying that this is only happening to a few people. Has Mackie allowed you to talk one on one with an ACTUAL tech that builds these things or has there been the usual buffer zone of someone who represents himself as tech but really isn't?

best of luck

Craig
PS
I just checked out that CM automation site mentioned a couple of posts ago. Looks very promising. I talked to one of there tech guys and they are specificaly targeting the pro-tools market. They think that it will ship in May

[This message has been edited by TMS (edited 03-24-99).]
Old 03-25-1999, 02:33 AM

I think that Mikey's comments make a lot of sense. Mackie are a company that seems to understand their customers needs. I remember selling TAPCO desks back in the "old days" at the music shop I worked in and they were a revolutionary company in those times. I think that they still are when you look at where they are heading. I really think that they will address this problem but just not in the time frame that suits me right now. If I knew that a fix was coming in the next week or so I would gladly keep the unit. Heaven knows there's no replacement in the price range.
Anyway I refuse to start a slinging match against Mackie, that's not going to do anyone any good and there are no grounds for it.
This desk is exactly what I need and as I only lay the tracks in my studio I would probably never need to replace it if it were fixed..... unless I win the lottery.
Ray, remember that what I have related to you is NOT the official word from Mackie. They seem to be busy with the d8b but they will have to get around to this fix soon enough.
Keep emailing them till you find out what's going on.

Mikey said...
>>As a closer - I refuse accept that Mackie are an unprofessional company and I refuse to adopt a knee-jerk hate position, the kind that is so prevalent on the net. Mackie want to succeed and Mackie want happy customers. They don't want bad publicity like this.<<

I think this is the correct approach. There is no conspiracy. Just some communication problems.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-25-1999, 05:38 AM

I'm going to try something here, as a final attempt. As suggested, I will write to Mackie (once again), and I will include the whole thread, and I will Fed-Ex it! I will also, get my dealer here in Montreal to call Mackie directly (he holds a lot of weight in the industry in Canada). I am also willing to put up with a little more of this, simply because there is no real other alternative at a competetive price. If Mackie, guarentees me that if the problem is not fixed they will reimburse full payment of the HUI, I will wait... a little longer. The clock is ticking...
I'm on the case.
Ray Fabi

PS: Honestly, if word gets around that the HUI is not a reliable unit, and sometimes does not work in studio situations, Mackie will lose out a lot more money than the money it would cost for them to modify their unit. Strictly and purely on a business point of view, Mackie should take care of this ASAP. Has anyone at Mackie considered this? Come on guys, make the HUI work, I mean really work in all real studio environments!

[This message has been edited by Ray Fabi (edited 03-25-99).]
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 03-25-1999, 10:12 AM

We currently have a Protools Mix System and are using Procontrol (which has NEVER given us any trouble). We are buying another system in a couple of weeks and were thinking of buying a Mackie HUI instead of another Procontrol to keep costs low. I was not aware of the HUI's many problems. I need some advice, should we never ever get us a HUI? Should we use mouse & keyboard until we can afford another Procontrol? I guess that's the way it's gonna be, because a friend of mine had a HUI and got rid of it when Procontrol came out a few months ago, at that moment I thought it was because he just wanted to upgrade but now I see what was probably happening.

rop
Old 03-25-1999, 04:01 PM

Hi Rocco, You should get the HUI in your environment and see if the faders work ok. They seem to be fine for most users. If they work in your environment then your decision is made.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-25-1999, 07:45 PM

As Phil said, if the HUI works in your environment, go for it - it should work great in most situations - it just doesn't work in mine! Just make sure you get to try it for a couple of weeks in YOUR studio before you have to make a final decision. In the mean time, I'm sending Mackie a letter tomorrow, hoping they will respond to me in a positive way.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Ray Fabi
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 03-26-1999, 10:29 AM

Thanks Phil and Ray, I guess I'll go for it and have a HUI for a 2 week trial period or so. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-27-1999, 06:56 AM

There is hope! It's all I can say at this point, but there is hope...
Ray Fabi
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com