Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2003, 10:48 PM

Default New to Mac - Computer Recommendations for Digi 002

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post.

I am looking to buy a Mac computer for use with audio, midi, audio for video, and even video editing as part of a DAW with the Digi 002. However, I know next to nothing about Mac computers. Can anyone please recommend a desktop Mac that will keep me relevant for the next four years, and maybe give me a ballpark figure for how much I'll be spending on this super computer?

Also, any sites or pages that cater to a would be new Mac user, to get me up to speed with Mac info and specs, would be greatly appreciated.

For all those who want to tell me a PC is better, please don't - I own a Dell Latitude C840 Laptop that I am very happy with, even for audio and video editing applications, so I'm sold on PC. However, we all know that the major studio systems are built on the Mac platform, and I've decided that I can not hope to be better than the next guy when I continue to believe that I can get away with learning everything PC. Nuff said.

Again, thank you for reading this post, and I look forward to your recommendations.

Respect,

Franco de Leon
1 GB RAM
80 GB Stock HD
120 GB Seagate HD
Windows XP Pro
Old 02-24-2003, 01:35 AM

Default Re: New to Mac - Computer Recommendations for Digi 002

So are you going to use Final Cut Pro as well? If you are looking into a 002. Did you think about the getting a laptop as well?

start here http://www.macgurus.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?
www.macaddict.com
www.macworld.com
www.macobserver.com
www.appleturns.com
Wiz
Old 02-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Hey Franco about a week ago I had the same problem. So I talked to alot of people, asked alot of questions in the forum and I even went straight to Digidesign and the answer I got the most was....The best computer you can get with the Digi 002 is the 15" 867 PowerBook. It looks like this is the only one right now that is Digi " APPROVED" and it boots into OS9 & X ! I switched from PC to Mac also it takes some time getting used to it but you WONT regret it. I sold my PC yesterday! Im threw with all that nonsense. Incase you dont want a laptop because you already got the Dell, You should check out the www.apple.com website go into the " Store" tab it takes you directly into the apple store choose powermacs then there should be a little box that says OS9. Those desktops Boot into OS 9 but there not approved yet by Digi since there kinda new. Check it out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 03:01 PM

Thank you to the two users who already responded: I already feel my incredible MAC powers growing!

I did notice that all the computers that are sold at the www.apple.com site which run OS 9 are, as of yet, not approved to be used with the Digi 002 - I guess that regardless of whether its MAC or PC, we'll always run into the same problems of computer manufacturers so driven to sell the latest and "greatest" (read most expensive and least tested/compatible) that they're willing to sacrifice the best and brightest (read: relatively cheaper and less problematic/product compatible).

I should state that I'm also not averse to (but not leaning towards) buying used. A teacher of mine said that the desktop (I'm trying to save a bit of money with the desktop set up...my Dell Laptop is great for on site work...and if I get the 002, its like getting two Pro Tools DAWs for one) MAC G4 Single Processor at 733 MHz with 512 MB Ram should be enough to do all the basic recording and post-production editing I want to do, without stalling, even with your standard plug-ins for those uses (reverbs, compressors, eqs, blah blah).... Anyone have an opinion of the 733 MHz Desktop?

Does anyone know if Pro Tools LE 6.0 for the Digi 002 (to be released mid 2003...) will support the dual processors of the current market's MACs?

Thanks again for all the help with this decision....

Cheers,

Franco de Leon

PS
What should I expect to spend?
1 GB RAM
80 GB Stock HD
120 GB Seagate HD
Windows XP Pro
Old 02-24-2003, 08:01 PM

Try and get your hands on a New (but not latest model) Dual 1 Ghz from a reseller, not apple. They come with the Superdrive and they are able to boot into OS 9.

They dropped about $1000 dollars when the latest Power Macs came out. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and am very impressed with it.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:00 PM

oh I forgot, goto www.smalldog.com the mostly sell Mac stuff and www.powermac.com

Wiz
Old 02-24-2003, 09:30 PM

For the specifications of all the macs models, go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl..._g4/index.html

For help go to http://dealchat.com

For deals, go to http://dealmac.com

6am eternal
Old 02-24-2003, 11:18 PM

If you listen to the voice of reason (your teacher) you may be better off.

I have a G4 400 which has been upgraded to a 1ghz with a sonnet upgrade chip (powerlogix makes one too) and it works fine for me.

Even did some documentary work and a few music videos on FCP with just the 400 and it was cool.

If you go used, an old 450 or 500 mhz DP (the first g4 DP) might be cool, or a 733 or higher with the level 3 cache. This seems to give good performance in this audio world.

Keep in mind the "noise Level" increases with the newer machines...

If you really need to get going as cheap as possible, go used.

If you need to be able to use it for the next ??? many years, maybe find a DP machine, as OS X will benefit from the DP.

Either way, have fun!!!

P.S. MacMall, ClubMac, MacZOne, etc. WAY better than the apple store b/c the price is ATLEAST as cheap (some will say 2494 instead of 2499) But most importantly these people won't charge you sales tax, as long as you are out os state. Apple charges EVERYONE sales tax.

That can be enough money for an internal drive, or mor RAM (where the mactailers way beat Apples price)