Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Default Making the drums stand out in a mix

I remember reading some tutorials about 2 years ago explaining the best way to set up the mixer for writing dance music. The emphasis was to put the drums in "front" of the synths by routing through Aux tracks and I think using a compressor. I'm not talking about the pumping sounds used in dance, this is more straight forward I think in that the drums will stand out more in the mix so they don't get drowned by synths.

Does anyone know of a tutorial explaining more about this? I would really like to learn more about this approach. After hearing some other mixes where the artist is using this method, I can totally hear the difference compared to my music.

I appreciate the help!

Regards,
Mark
Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Making the drums stand out in a mix

It might be you're thinking of parallel compression, where you blend two versions of your drum bus, one uncompressed and one heavily compressed. Gives extra power and punch to the drums without sounding unnatural.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
I remember reading some tutorials about 2 years ago explaining the best way to set up the mixer for writing dance music. The emphasis was to put the drums in "front" of the synths by routing through Aux tracks and I think using a compressor. I'm not talking about the pumping sounds used in dance, this is more straight forward I think in that the drums will stand out more in the mix so they don't get drowned by synths.

Does anyone know of a tutorial explaining more about this? I would really like to learn more about this approach. After hearing some other mixes where the artist is using this method, I can totally hear the difference compared to my music.

I appreciate the help!

Regards,
Mark
http://www.ehow.com/video_2390486_bu...pro-tools.html
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Search Parallel Compression on Youtube