Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2023, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Presonus Faderport

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Was it because automation was disabled on the selected track? That's why I quit using my FP1. When I was just tracking, I'd enable it. But I had to remember to disable it as soon as I started mixing. After a few years, it just wasn't worth that hassle anymore.
Hi daeron80

Would you mind expanding on your observation that the automation was disabled on the selected track?

Thanks

Sparky
Old 10-11-2023, 09:31 AM

My issue with the FP2 is that is doesn’t null at -0-, but slightly below. When I alt-click the mix window fader, it doesn’t quite reset to -0-.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:59 AM

I think my issue was having to connect with the whole MIDI Controllers-HUI setup which has always felt a little half-baked and flaky. I seem to remember I kept getting "Cannot connect to Faderport" errors coming up so frequently I just ended up not bothering trying to connect it. Also there's no display on the Faderport to indicate the name of the fader you're on, so oftentimes when you're using it you're in danger of moving the wrong fader by mistake. I've literally just plugged it in now as a test and accidentally ended up moving track 1 fader instead of track 2.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Also there's no display on the Faderport to indicate the name of the fader you're on, so oftentimes when you're using it you're in danger of moving the wrong fader by mistake. I've literally just plugged it in now as a test and accidentally ended up moving track 1 fader instead of track 2.
I was wondering about this... how to tell which track you were on...

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 10-11-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
My issue with the FP2 is that is doesn’t null at -0-, but slightly below. When I alt-click the mix window fader, it doesn’t quite reset to -0-.
If it doesn't null at -0- - does that mean the fader position doesn't end up at -0- but the actual level is -0- or is the actual level reading at less than -0- ?

Thanks,
Sparky
Old 10-11-2023, 12:39 PM

I have owned faderport 1, Behringer X-one and now use faderport V2. My observations:
FP1- it was decent enough, but limited. Much of this is because of HUI. I did LOVE the bottons to switch between MIX and EDIT(PROJ) windows and miss that on the FP2
Behringer-too many buttons with no use in HUI mode.
FP2-very happy with this, but much of my happiness is due to Nyrinck's V-Control Pro software. Check out the videos showing this in action as it takes the FP2 to a whole new level! Navigation is better and the ability to control any plugin parameter by hovering the mouse over any knob is worth the price of admission

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-11-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FP2-very happy with this, but much of my happiness is due to Nyrinck's V-Control Pro software. Check out the videos showing this in action as it takes the FP2 to a whole new level! Navigation is better and the ability to control any plugin parameter by hovering the mouse over any knob is worth the price of admission
Thanks for the review of all 3 items Albee1952 - very much appreciated!

With the FP2 - how do you tell which track you are on without the "scribble strip" the Behringer has in the top left corner?

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 10-11-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
If it doesn't null at -0- - does that mean the fader position doesn't end up at -0- but the actual level is -0- or is the actual level reading at less than -0- ?

Thanks,
Sparky
To clarify, the Pro Tools fader nulls to zero with alt-click, but the physical Faderport fader moves to slightly below zero. The manual says you can press the Shift button and tap the fader to reset it to 0 dB, but mine still resets about -2dB below zero. Pro Tools says it’s a Presonus issue, and Presonus says it’s a Pro Tools issue. I’m hoping the next firmware patch fixes it. I understand it does not happen in every Faderport V2.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
To clarify, the Pro Tools fader nulls to zero with alt-click, but the physical Faderport fader moves to slightly below zero. The manual says you can press the Shift button and tap the fader to reset it to 0 dB, but mine still resets about -2dB below zero. Pro Tools says it’s a Presonus issue, and Presonus says it’s a Pro Tools issue. I’m hoping the next firmware patch fixes it. I understand it does not happen in every Faderport V2.

Thanks for the update...
Sparky
Old 10-11-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Thanks again for your time albee1952 - I did check out the V Control Pro software you mentioned. Looks like almost a necessity…

I want to make sure I understood something about FP2. Without the V Control Pro Software - am I able to write automation? I almost get the impression I need this software as well to enable automation writing…

Thanks

Sparky

Last edited by Sparky1; 10-12-2023 at 10:06 AM.