Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Upgrading from PTLE 5.3.2 in middle of project

I've been running 5.3.2 on a dual boot mac for the last 3.5 years (booting in OS9) I've had some problems along the way but they appear to be more with the mac. I've had to reinitialize the hardrive once and reload everything. Recently i've been having more problems. While bouncing songs down it will occasionally quit mid song and tell me:

"DAE can't get audio from disk fast enough. Disk may be too slow or too fragmented".

I have two hard drives in my mac. one for the system and one for the files (in three partitions). I recently re-initialized the partition that i'm working off of now but not the whole file drive. I'm assuming it makes sense to reinitialize and repartition that drive as a first step to try to resolve this issue?

however, my other question is should i just make the jump and start using OSX and upgrade to the most recent stable version of PTLE? I'm in the middle of a project and would prefer to wrap up this record and then make the jump afterwards. Am i crazy to still be working with this system?

thanks

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Upgrading from PTLE 5.3.2 in middle of project

Haha, yes you're crazy to stay so far behind! (kidding, but I prefer being up to date)

I get that message on rare occasions on my XP, usually when using too many plugins/working the CPU too hard.... can you make a few tracks inactive, bounce the remaining tracks, and then Import that Stereo file back into the session, make inactive tracks active, make previous active tracks inactive, and then bounce again?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM

so the cause is more likely that i'm just making it work too hard? It has been on some rather track and plugin heavy songs that it has occured.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM

Yea, it COULD be that it's too much for your computer to handle, try what I recommended above. It's a pretty good workaround once you have everything mixed and ready to bounce in the first place.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:08 PM

i just pulled off some dverb and amplitude and it bounced fine. Hopefully that was the trick.

thanks