Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Record Delay

I have purchased a new windows computer and it is running PTLE 6.4 with no problems, except that I notice a delay when recording an audio track. When recording just one track, if I limit record time to 5 minutes, I see a short delay. Two tracks a slighly longer delay, 8 tracks, a couple of seconds, etc. If i change record time to something higher, the delay time gets much higher. If I don't limit record time I cannot record anything--Protools just hangs and the hard drive just cranks. I am pretty sure the hard drive is using DMA, although under device manager, at the top of IDE controllers, I see "unknown" instead of IDE controllers.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Record Delay

It's normal fo the pause before recording to take longer with the hgher Record Allocation time. With the DAE Buffer set to the default of 2 and Record Allocation set to 10 minutes you shouldn't have a noticeable delay though.

What's your record hard drive spec?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-23-2006, 04:14 PM

Thanks Rail. On my older, slower computer I had no problems. I could record on 24 tracks with no limit on record time, with almost zero delay. On my new computer, when recording 8 tracks and 10 minutes record time I see a delay of several seconds.

Also, I have never noticed any difference with the DAE buffer settings.

My hard drive is the same unit I was using in my old computer. a 250 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm.

By the way, I enjoy your MME helper software.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Its the software, not the new hardware! I was using PTLE version 6.4cs9 and having trouble with record delays that grow in proportion to the number of tracks and with the settings in 'open ended recording allocation.'

I reverted back to version 6.4 and no trouble at all! I enabled 32 tracks and set to "use all available space." Hit F12 and I had to wait about 1/2 second.