How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 AM

Default Alps faders are nicer than the P&G ones

H,
Been using three different D-Controls and the faders are ok, get a bit sticky when doing subtle slow moves but tolerable. Just been using a D-Command for the first time and the supposed 'cheap' option faders (I think they're Alps) are much smoother and nicer, they seem to have the slight 'grabbing' problem, mentioned in other posts, occasionally when you touch them but generally I (and two colleagues of mine that tried them) found them better. Not sure what the point of this post is as I know you can't swap them, just was quite surprised!

Pete
Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Alps faders are nicer than the P&G ones

For two weeks before our D-Control arrived, we were using a borrowed D-Command and the faders were MUCH noisier when moving around.

I remember being concerned at the time, but when the D-Control turned up I was blown away at how quiet its faders were when moving. They only bother me now when some client brings in a session with automation snapping to zero all the time staggered over multiple channels.

I remember the D-Command faders feeling a little plastic-like compared to the D-Control as well ... but one has to consider the cost! <g>
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Alps faders are nicer than the P&G ones

Yes, they're definitely noisier. I'm not saying they're better made or anything but for me and the two others who tried both (I own a 32 fader D-Control) the 'feel' was much nicer/smoother.

Pete