Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2002, 11:24 AM

Default OT - "Locked" Mac Files/Mac basics

Maybe these are Mac basics that just passed me by?...

Often when I get samples on CD, the files are "read only" and therefore locked on a Mac -even after I copy them to the HD. It's a pain auditioning each one in QT with the message "file is locked" as an extra step. Is there an easy way to change all of them to "unlocked" without having to "get info" and click on each one? I haven't figured out a way to make Applescript more generic (it specifies each filename).

Also, is there a way to create a folder within a folder? I can't figure out a way to make a "new folder" appear within an open folder. They always seem to be created at the root level of the drive where I have to drag them to where I need them. Do I need a script for this, too?

Thanks, and sorry for my stupidity (10 yrs of PCs and only a few on the Mac)...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:24 AM

Default Re: OT - "Locked" Mac Files/Mac basics

Quote:
Often when I get samples on CD, the files are "read only" and therefore locked on a Mac -even after I copy them to the HD.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cant say Ive heard about this one. I usually audition samples (if they are not AKAI or some foreign format) by selecting "import in the region bins menu (PT!). One hand on the up and down arrows on the keyboard, and the pointer on the "play" icon.
Quote:
Also, is there a way to create a folder within a folder? I can't figure out a way to make a "new folder" appear within an open folder. They always seem to be created at the root level of the drive where I have to drag them to where I need them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just make shure the window is active (the frame of the window is not white) select "new folder" and it will be created in the window.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:49 AM

You can create a new folder in any active folder window or the finder by using the shortcut Apple-N.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:00 AM

Hi LW,

I can sympathise with on on the QT locked file issue... i get that too and it drives me nuts! I've taken to auditioning files in either recycle or Peak now, just so that I don't get that message.... if you find something please post it here.

The other issue I think Ben got it there... as long as the folder is active in the finder when you press apple+n, the new folder will be created within.

//nw
Old 06-24-2002, 10:10 AM

Ahhhh...the trusty DUC...you guys solved it...one is a big "duh" on my part: make the folder open and active before Apple-N. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The other one is to use either Recycle to audition or the "play" feature for the PT import window. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.