Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Re: How to avoid an aching wrist (mouse hand) ?

I don't think I could work without the kensington, the horizontal scrolling being the main reason.

but i, too, am experiencing a lot of tension along the top of my wrist. I actually think it is DUE to the kensington mouse having a slight incline. No matter where I put it (elevation-wise) I can't find a location where it isn't bothersome after a few hours.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM

I know what you mean, I always found that with the old turbo mouse. I had to use a sizeable wrist rest to get my wrist high enough so that my hand was flat over the trackball, not with the wrist pointing upwards. that is bad.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 PM

I put my Kensington trackball on top of one of those mouse pads with the built in gel wrist pad/elevator. It helps immensely.

If it gets really bad, hire more interns.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:04 AM

as well as all the ergonomic suggestions above, this little beanbag helps out immensely:

http://www.imakproducts.com/product.php?s=16

I'm not a trackball guy, and the Wacom gave me hand cramps, so the turbo mouse is it for me.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
I'm not a trackball guy, and the Wacom gave me hand cramps, so the turbo mouse is it for me.
I thought the turbo-mouse IS a trackball. I it not?

f.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 AM

I keep a Wacom Graphire in my travel bag, and I'm using a Bamboo Fun right now. My right hand would have fallen off long ago had it not been for the tablet and pen combo. At $90 for a Wacom Bamboo Fun, you can get one to experiment with- they're great.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM

I would stop using the Apple mouse. It makes my hand hurt just looking at it.

A chair with independently adjustable armrests (a la Aeron) is a must for me. Also comfortable working height for the desk. Some studios I've seen have no thought put into ergonomics and not only does it bother my body it slows me down.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone för sharing your thoughts. Working with my left is tricky! But i'll get by with a little help from my friends...

Arvid
Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 PM

I find using a track ball forces me to bend my hand up at the wrist. This is the carpal tunnel position. The wrist must be straight with the hand. +1 for the beanbag under the wrist. If things get bad try a wrist brace to give you a break.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 PM

Gelpad wrist supports for both keyboard and mouse are for me, and mice that are not the Apple Mighty mouse. Classic Logitech Pilot, their 518 and the Razer Salmosa. Razer Exactmat Xcontrol comes with an optional gelpad wrist support that cannot move because it is anchored by a thin rubberpad on top of which the Exactmat is placed.

I take it wherever I work and have done so for the past four years since a buddy of mine(recording engineer) was unable to work for two weeks because of severe pain in said areas.