How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Exclamation Sustain pedal not working with pro tools 10

Hi y'all,

I have a little problem with my pro tools at the moment. although I plugged in the pedal to the right place, plugged USB to my macbook correctly (on light), on my midi controller and checked ticks on the MIDI-> Input filter and input devices, when I press the pedal it will just 'mute' instead of blurring the sound. How should I make this work?

For Midi controller I use Akai MPK 88, pedal is YAMAHA FC3 and audio interface I use is M-audio fast track.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Sustain pedal not working with pro tools 10

Sounds like it's plugged into a controller pedal port and not a sustain pedal port.

If that's not it, then you're going to have to figure out how to make the MIDI controller send sustain pedal data from the pedal instead of mute data. I would actually try a different sustain pedal first, Yamaha pedals tend to be a bit wacky when not used with Yamaha keyboard in my experience.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Sounds like it's plugged into a controller pedal port and not a sustain pedal port.

If that's not it, then you're going to have to figure out how to make the MIDI controller send sustain pedal data from the pedal instead of mute data. I would actually try a different sustain pedal first, Yamaha pedals tend to be a bit wacky when not used with Yamaha keyboard in my experience.
Yup. I think Yamaha pedals use opposite polarity on their sustain pedals.

You want a weird one for sustain pedal use in a VI? Check out NI's Vintage Organs. That's the one they have now instead of B4-II; it also has Farfisa and Vox Continental models. On the B3 emulation the sustain pedal is setup by default to control Leslie speed which is also controlled by default by the mod wheel on a MIDI controller.

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Sorry for late reply, you guys helped me a lot it is now working. In the beginning the pedal worked if I don't press down the pedal and if I press down it stopped which is the.. other way around but now it is working fine.
Thank you so much for the help
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyenamuzik View Post
Sorry for late reply, you guys helped me a lot it is now working. In the beginning the pedal worked if I don't press down the pedal and if I press down it stopped which is the.. other way around but now it is working fine.
Thank you so much for the help
You had a pedal with reverse polarity - some pedals have switches to flip the polarity and sometimes things can be reversed by software. Would be interested to know what you did to get it working.

QAPLA!