Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Default Pro tools 8 "unable to locate digidesign hardware''!

Hi.I have just upgraded to pro tools 8,but have not been able to use it yet because every time i try to launch it,it cannot locate any hardware.I am usng an mbox 2 and it was working fine with pro tools 7.4..has anyone got the same problem or have any idea's,thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 "unable to locate digidesign hardware''!

Are you using the older Macbook (pre intel). If so use the lefthand USB port only, not the right. I also found than the USB power takes a while to 'flow' into the mbox and get it recognised by the laptop.

Plug the mbox2 into the lefthand USB wait a couple of mins (until the LED's on the mbox2 reach full brightness) and then try to open protools.

It is not a problem with the mbox (if it is Powerbook you have) but a problem with the macs internal architecture.

A:)

Last edited by 1ace1; 01-21-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: dyslexia
Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.It is the intel macbook pro.I tried using the left usb port and waiting a few minutes for the LED's to fully light up but pro tools still doesn't recognise it.In system preferences it says the mac is connected to the mbox2..
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM

I had the same problem this morning with my MBP. I re-installed the core audio driver, and it is now it seems to be working properly. Now I'm in the process of a clean re-install of PT8 on my Macpro. I don't know why but it seems that the PT drivers are all of a sudden conflicting with my audio-midi set up. I've been fighting with it all night!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM

BTW, I don't know if it's different for Mbox2 mini, but I've never had the left/right usb issue. It worked fine on any port(until PT8)
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevibzim View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.It is the intel macbook pro.I tried using the left usb port and waiting a few minutes for the LED's to fully light up but pro tools still doesn't recognise it.In system preferences it says the mac is connected to the mbox2..
In system preferences, where it says it is connected to the Mbox 2, does it show you the Firmware Version (like 1.38) or does it say: <Not Available> ?

If it says Firmware Version <Not Available>, click "Show All" then click "Sound".
Check under "sound effects", "output" and "input"... Does it see your Mbox 2 as an Mbox 2 or something else like Mbox 2 Academic or otherwise?

If it shows up there as a regular Mbox 2, there is a Firmware Updater you can download to try and reload the firmware..

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=24364
Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 PM

Unhappy Re: Pro tools 8 "unable to locate digidesign hardware''!

Hey,in system preferences it says that firmware version is <not available>,and in sound it comes up as mbox 2 academic.I downloaded the firmware updater but when i try begin it,it says "found no mbox2 connected"
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi everyone,
I am having the same problem.

I have used both an Mbox 2 and an Mbox 2 Micro along with v7.4.2, but upon the first launch of PT8, I get the message telling me "unable to locate digidesign hardware". There is no light or sign of life neither in the Micro nor the Mbox2. In System Preferences on the Mac, preference pane Mbox 2, it says that there is no hardware detected.

How do I reinstall the Core Audio drivers, if that was a possible solution?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Well, anyone?

My setup is the following:
MBP 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
Mbox 2 and Mbox 2 Micro (not at the same time :)
Maxtor OneTouch III 500 GB external HD (Firewire, used for recording and playback)
Mac OS X 10.5.6
Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM

After a stupid amount of work, calls and research, here's the deal;

Digidesign "accidentally" flashed a bunch of MBox 2 units with the Academic Firmware. This firmware causes all of the problems we have all been experienced and have been described in this thread.

This firmware does NOT work on Pro Tools LE above 7.4.2 on Mac OS X.

Your unit has to be flashed with a new firmware or your unit has to be replaced. There are no other options, aside from running Pro Tools 7.4.2

With 45+ minute hold times and 3-4 week turnarounds for replacement units, it'd be nice if we could flash our own unit with the non-academic firmware... since this is Digidesign's screw up and not ours.

BTW - I have a small note with "Important Notice regarding MBox 2 Firmware" from Digidesign about this accidental flashing of firmware with academic versions. What it doesn't say is "you can't run Pro Tools 8 with this MBox 2."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbenos View Post
Well, anyone?

My setup is the following:
MBP 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
Mbox 2 and Mbox 2 Micro (not at the same time :)
Maxtor OneTouch III 500 GB external HD (Firewire, used for recording and playback)
Mac OS X 10.5.6