Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 AM

Default Pro Tools \"Unable to locate Digidesign hardware\"

Hi,

I recently purchased a Mbox 2(Academic) and it arrived today.
I installed pro tools and the mbox exactly how the manual said to do so, but when i opened up pro tools i got the error saying "Unable to locate Digidesign hardware".

This confuses me a lot, the MBox has all its lights on, the computer recognizes it, the drivers are all installed corretly and it should just work.

I've tried every single solution i've come across but nothing has worked, does anyone have any idea why pro tools (LE 7.3) wont recognize my mbox2?

I am running:
P4 2.8ghz (chipset 865)
around 1.7ghz ram
windows XP Pro SP2

please help
Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools \"Unable to locate Digidesign hardware\"

Make sure you plug the Mbox into a USB port on the back that is directly mounted to the motherboard. AFAIK, those "convenient" front mounted ports may be not good for Mbox use. Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? If its a desktop, your comment about "around 1.7ghz ram" makes me wonder if you have integrated graphics which protools does not work well with(I don't think this is why you are having your described problem, but it may become a problem once you get the Mbox to be recognized). You also should be recording to a separate hard drive(not the C: drive or a partition of the same drive). If you have a desktop computer, it should be simple to add another internal hard drive. For external drives, you cannot use USB drives. eSATA should work fine and firewire drives MUST have the Oxford chipset(OWC drives work well here).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave