Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Rail Jon Rogut..re: wavedriver \"helper\" utility

Hey Rail,
I'm running an 001 with an 8 ch. RME ADI8pro A/D D/A converter via adat. I just upgraded from 5.3 to 6.4 PTs is working fine thus far. the problem is with the wavedriver.

in 5.3 I was able to go into the hardware/device manager/sound video controllers (of XP) and click on the wavedriver properties. I then was able to access the wavedrivers sample buffer size settings and in my case, the internal/adat optical option. once I set the wadedriver to optical, i was then able to pass signal using wavelab or windows media player right through the PCI card and out to my RME's D/A section via adat, where I could monitor sound without having PTs open.

in 6.4 I have installed the wavedriver (from the PTLE setup app.) but the wavedriver does not show up in the audio video controllers list (like it did in 5.3). thus i cant click on its properties which makes it impossible for me to change the wavedriver setting from internal to optical. what happends is this. wavelab shows the WDrvr in its list, windows XP "sounds and audio devices" shows it in its list AND both are sending signal to the 001 which I can hear through the headphone outputs only. however, since I cant change the wavedriver settings to optical, signal wont continue out through the PCI card (via adat) and on to the RME's D/A section..

AGAIN, when i first installed 5.3 I had this exact problem, however once I installed that versions wavedriver everything worked out just fine. 6.4's wavedriver did not do the same (for the above reasons)

I downloaded your helper utility, but it doesnt seem to work out this problem either. I cant think of anything else? any thoughts?

thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Rail Jon Rogut..re: wavedriver \"helper\" utilit

Try using the ASIO driver instead of the Wave Driver with Wavelab.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Rail Jon Rogut..re: wavedriver \"helper\" utilit

No AISO does the same thing. currently wavedriver allows wavelab and windows media player to communicate with the 001, but thats not the problem. the problem is, wavedriver doesnt allow me to get into its settings so I can select optical over internal. 5.3 allowed this to work.

How about this: Does anyone remember when they first installed the wavedriver in 5.3 you were directed to the menu that showed a picture of the digi PCI card and the big red digi logo? it was at that point you were able to select buffer size and output type before installation was complete. you could then pull up that menu any time by going into settings/hardware tab/device manager/audio video controls/ clicking on the "digi wavedriver" properties and bring that menu up?

6.4 is not allowing me to get to the wavedriver settings so I can switch it.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Rail Jon Rogut..re: wavedriver \"helper\" utility

anyone!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM

How bout Digidesign Tech then, throw me a bone!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:24 PM

The WaveDriver only supports stereo analog output. The ASIO driver should work.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 AM

thanks, but it aint happenin. I must be the only Protools LE 6.4 user that uses an external DA section via adat optical lightpipe!

Let me try to put it this way:
when you have an external 8 channel A/D D/A converter, it needs to be hooked up adat optical lightpipe, and one must set each tracks output to "optical 1+2" in order to hear anything through (the D/A section) and the speakers. if one wanted to monitor under headphones, each tracks output would then have to be changed to "stereo analog/SPDIF" so that the signal would stay in the 001 and not pass through to the external D/A sectio.

because the AISO and the wavedriver (in 6.4) "seems" to default to stereo analog/SPDIF, there is no way to switch the AISO/wavedriver outputs to "optical" thus when I use wavelab or windows media player it does patch through to my 001. However, It only can be heard through the headphones on the 001.

5.3 allowed access to the wavedrivers setup menu where you could change the settings. 6.4 is not allowing me to do this simple act...I must be the only one on the planet who has encountered this problem? or maybe I'm just an idiot.

can anyone at least verify that there was a seperate setup output menu for the wavedriver in 5.3?

thanks