Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2003, 06:46 AM

Default Re: iLok for registered PT LE users. PETITION

Quote:
But let's make it a version ProTools Free X - then Digi Design could pick up new Mac users and get them addicted to ProTools,
and they would soon upgrade to Digi Design Hardware.
If anything happens at all, this is most likely what it would be.

My guess is that we will never see a “Full LE”(oxymoron) version of PT running without hardware. It’s just not the Digi way and goes completely contrary to what this company has always been. A hardware company...

And now, entering dream-land as I look into my crystal ball;

The only other possibility may be that someday we will see something like a software only integrated LE/DV Toolkit version. But it’ll cost ya...
$899.00 to $999.00 bucks. Call it PTNM AV
Pro Tools Native Mobile- AV --
It will only run on the G5 and/or future G5 powerbooks.

"PTNM AV 8.0 - Coming in 2005...
Product comatilbility specifications:
Any Power PC G5 running system 10.5 or higher.
*G4 not supported."

Exit dream-land

This would put it at a price point somewhere between Mbox and 002Rack. It could fill the 001 slot that is now missing in the current line-up. As a selling point, they can add the extra functionality of being able to work in multiple open sessions simultaneously.

BTW - I vote yes too.

dk
Old 11-03-2003, 07:37 AM

Yes.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Well, no, thats not what I said....if you had bothered to read my entire post before running your mouth on what you think I am saying you would have seen that I said "give us listening ability...you can still require Digi gear to enable recording."
Are you kidding me? Running my mouth off? I did read your entire post (you'd be well advised to do the same)...and you're still asking that Digi allow you to use their software with OTHER hardware... your "listening ability" request implies the use of some sort of D/A converter and audio electronics (aka: hardware) - which is what I was talking about in my last post when I wrote about the built-in Apple headphone jack or a PS soundcard. I'm not talking about recording here, just monitoring or "listening ability" as you say.

There's a complete disconnect here when you say "we're not asking to use other hardware", but you want "listening ability" without Digi's hardware - so what hardware are you gonna use?

I'm really not concerned with what happens from here on out, I'm just trying to let people in the fact that Digi thinks it's a HARDWARE company and as such it will no sooner release its software abilities to other hardware companies (Apple or otherwise) than it will supply us LE users with unlimited tracks, beat detective, and a complimentary beverage.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:47 AM

It is very apperant the Digi is made up of a bunch of money hungry sharks that do not care about there customer. It's not out of line to ask for a portable mixing option. Someone on here needs to design a small USB key with a headphone jack on it that makes PT think it has a MBox connected!

Anyway, I too am going to be looking at the other platforms when I go to upgrade. It's unfortunate for everyone that Pro Tools has become an industry standard. I don't even understand why, It's not as if there software is unrivaled when it comes to sound or features.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:56 AM

"Like you're gonna do some editing on your Laptop on the frikin' train , or at the cafe, whilst you look cool, knockin' back a couple of soyachino's."

That's exactly what I want.

I doubt digi would ever do it, it would probably cut way into mbox sales, not to mention they want to avoid the risk of possible piracy.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:38 AM

"Like you're gonna do some editing on your Laptop on the frikin' train , or at the cafe, whilst you look cool, knockin' back a couple of soyachino's."

Exactly!

what hardware do you need other than a set of good headphones? I am actually skilled enough to mix in the box. so I would be satisfied with my powerbook, headphones, and PT LE.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:22 PM

I think maybe a better approach is to let pt and pt free co exist on the same machine , maybe in another user????
Old 11-03-2003, 08:07 PM

YES INDEED!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:48 AM

I want this so much I'm saying yes again to keep this thread on the first page.

For those who propose that this threatens Digi's hardware sales.....you are wrong.

This concept of iLok authorization for the PT app and using built-in PowerBook audio should be an optional setup when you buy an Mbox, 002, HD....whatever. This doesn't have to be a stand-alone product.

But it COULD be a great stand-alone product too. Imagine a small box ( .5''x1.5"x2") with a 18" USB or FireWire attached cable. It has a headphone jack and a 2 channel I/O. Runs the same PTLE as the Mbox. Price $299.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:30 AM

12 = yes

4 = no

a few complaints

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason