Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: iLok for registered PT LE users. PETITION

Well, no, thats not what I said....if you had bothered to read my entire post before running your mouth on what you think I am saying you would have seen that I said "give us listening ability...you can still require Digi gear to enable recording."
Old 11-02-2003, 10:27 PM

YES.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:40 PM

the bottom line is that we have to be able to open the software and be able to mix, cut, paste, assemble, organize, set up templates, do pre-production, etc..

and we need to be able to do it without the hardware attached.
this is not a small concern. and the mbox is not a solution to this problem.

it's not like we are asking for something free. we are paying costumers and we want to be able to use what we we've purchased in the way that fits into our lives.

these are the needs of independent producers and users
who are mobile computers and commuters
that have great demands on their schedules.

and if i can't get it here - i will end up getting it elsewhere.

and that would be a shame.

being tethered to a piece of hardware is antithetical to cutting edge anything. and it seems like a dinosaur relic tying a pro audio leader to the past - not the future and not the present.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:42 PM

yes please as soon as possible
Old 11-02-2003, 10:50 PM

I can't understand why anyone would vote against the option to listen to their PTLE work without Digi hardware. It may not be an issue to you - but why deny others??!!
[QUOTE]

Why would you want to even boot PT without the hardware attached ? Whaddya gonna do ? Use MAC AV ? Whats the point of that? Like you're gonna do some editing on your Laptop on the frikin' train , or at the cafe, whilst you look cool, knockin' back a couple of soyachino's. What are you people smokin'?

My pbook is easy to carry with me, add an Mbox to the equation and it gets awkward and bulky. This is all about making life easier, of course we can unplug our mbox from the half dozen cables poking out the back and stick it in a bag, then reconnect later but this is a drag. When you buy a laptop you get used to picking it up and carrying on in a different room or location. I edit in Reason occasionally using Apple audio- which is adequate for that purpose. Why do you want to prevent me doing this with PTLE? This is NOT about 'looking cool' showing off in Star*ucks (I never go there anyway and I'm too worried about getting mugged round the corner to show of £2,500 worth of computer!) But even if it was why should you get so upset? No one's shouting at you to get out from behind your desktop and get a life! Live and let live.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:08 PM

I say YES ...

But let's make it a version ProTools Free X - then Digi Design could pick up new Mac users and get them addicted to ProTools,
and they would soon upgrade to Digi Design Hardware.

Running a edu Lab based on ProTools Free is great, but I would like to upgrade our machines to MacOS X!
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 AM

Yes please Digidesign!

I love working with Reason 2.5 on the sofa with a good pair of headphones. If I could do the same with PTLE, I would be a very happy man. Ok i could without too much trouble lug the mbox with me, but at the end of the day, I never do. Why not allow us to record with the hardware attached and then let us unplug and mix on park benches, in bed - wherever we want to.

Rich
peace
Old 11-03-2003, 04:33 AM

Yes, we really do need this. The Mbox is a really big pain to carry around thanks to its odd shape and the stupid feet sticking out of the side. If they would just redesign the Mbox and make it smaller and easier to carry I would be happy. It would be nice to have just my laptop to edit on the road but I need to carry headphones and the laptop output is just barely loud enough. Anything Digi does to address this problem would be a good thing.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:43 AM

I vote NO.

But I think that Digi should recognise the opportunity to build an "H-Box" that runs headphones and maybe one mic pre or s/pdif i/o. Small enough to fit in your pocket but also Digi hardware so you can run PT.

My 2c.

Haigbabe
Old 11-03-2003, 06:25 AM

Do you people like giving away money? I have already spent thousands on digidesign gear. In this business of diminishing returns I am not about to vote for something where I give Digidesign more money so I can have another one of their second rate "pro-sumer" hardware products to run an otherwise incredible software. Are you sure you people voting "NO" don't work for digidesign? I don't care if the solution is iLok, digikey, or online registration. Go over to the MOTU Unicornation site and see the converts using DP 4 over PT LE for the sole reason of being able to mix in the box on their Powerbook. You think the coporate heads at digidesign would take some business pointers from Jobs. He declared this the "year of the laptop", and that it has been. When it comes time to upgrade I will move to a platform that I can go mobile with.