Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 PM

Default Mbox best mobile solution?

I have read many posts here asking why digi don't come up with an 'Ilok' or something to enable PT to be used (at least for editing/rough mixing) through Apple's built in sound system. Many people find the Mbox too bulky - even having sawn off its 'penguin feet'!
Am I right in thinking that Logic (and all other comparable aps.) require external hardware (soundcard/usb/firewire audio interface) to function?
I know Reason works ok through built in system under OSX - which is very handy for working on the move.
Other than reduced sound quality, is there any real reason why this is not possible for Logic or PT?
Please excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance to all you knowledgable people out there.

(17'' Pbook 1gig, 1gigRam, Mbox,PT 6.1.1,Reason 2.5, guitars etc )
Old 11-01-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Mbox best mobile solution?

I don't have the answer about Logic and hardware requirements/portability issues..

But let me echo the big desire for a better Digi solution to portable use. I'd like an iLok authorized PTLE that could use my PowerBook's bulit-in audio. I don't want to carry around an Mbox for basic editing on the go.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:52 PM

Let's start a petition. We, as honest paying users of Pro Tools systems, demand a solution. I own an 002R, and I need to mix on the go with my powerbook. Digidesign will lose me to MOTU if they do not remedy this situation.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:11 PM

I'd even go as far as to say that HD/TDM owners should get a special host version with no restrictions and soundmanager stereo out, limited only by what your laptop will do.

But, that would really rub salt in the LE wound.

Just wishfull thinking. ( where's that old graemlin with rolling eyes ?)

Old 11-02-2003, 12:09 AM

Yes, but regarding my original question ie - Can Logic (or any similar ap) function through apple built-in audio in OSX?
I just checked on my desktop G4 tower running OS9 and an old version of cubase, and the answer is yes (never thought of trying before, this is only an issue for laptops). I suppose this probably goes for Logic in OSX as well then, but can someone who knows please confirm?
If so, this is possibly a killer reason to shell out for Logic. Are digi scared of piracy - how secure is the iLok system from their viewpoint? If the iLok is prone to hacking, they will have to weigh that up against how sales of PT may be suffering from laptop users taking the Logic(al?) route
Old 11-02-2003, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, but regarding my original question ie - Can Logic (or any similar ap) function through apple built-in audio in OSX?

Hi.

Logic OSX uses Core Audio so, if you are set to "built in audio controller" in Audio Midi Setup, Logic will indeed use the internal sound. (As will Digital Performer 4.x, don't own any other apps so can't comment) The only thing you need is the USB XSKey to authorise the software.

I agree that we should be able to run PTLE off the built in Audio Controller using iLok as the hardware authorisation. A 002r is a big dongle when you don't need the extra I/O. Yes Mbox is an option - but the option should still be there to run a laptop with no extra audio hardware.

Add me to the list

Mike
Old 11-02-2003, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm off to buy Logic.
Laptop users make your voice heard -
post (at least) a simple 'YES' if you want iLok authorisation for PTLE.