Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2015, 03:25 AM

Default Re: New Avid Pro Tools Control for iPad

It's funny but all action from Avid in the last months doesn't suit their customers. Maybe they should think a moment if their general policy is wrong. This app is ridiculous. An iPad is designated to be the better Artist Control but the big buttons are missing. They will come later as in-app purchases. I'm very disappointed

Best

Mark
Old 08-11-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
It's funny but all action from Avid in the last months doesn't suit their customers. Maybe they should think a moment if their general policy is wrong. This app is ridiculous. An iPad is designated to be the better Artist Control but the big buttons are missing. They will come later as in-app purchases. I'm very disappointed

Best

Mark
You've been informed that they will come as paid upgrades?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Lets not beat him up guys, he is simply the messenger. I'm sure he didn't sit in the board room while the decision was made....

I honestly wanted to know why it didn't work with the control and now I know, it has many of the same functionality and/or will have.....

Thank you JC
A messenger can point his horse in both directions.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm sorry but this is stance is ludicrous and frankly makes me angry. If Avid has any question whatsoever about the wishes of their customers with regard to simultaneous use of the Control app *and* an Artist Control then they should ask, but the question is 100% unnecessary as EVERY customer would want this option, and Avid knows this. There, I just saved you thousands of hours of research.

Every user may not use both pieces of hardware simultaneously but many will. If what you're saying is that you've withheld this functionality just to 'test the waters' so to speak then you've missed the boat. In truth, no one is going to accept that explanation. Why should you need user feedback to greenlight this basic functionality?

And regarding the 'gift' of a free app -- it's my understanding that you're one of the last of the DAW manufacturers to offer such an option, and your customers have paid enough prior to the existence of this application to merit a free app to control products which they HAVE paid for. And don't lose sight of what we're asking for: use of the Control app and and Artist Control, an item WHICH WE'VE ALREADY SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON! You make us sound like freeloaders. The gifthorse approach won't go over well with us either because this isn't going to be viewed as kindness or gratuity -- it's the least Avid could do.

Now, please go back into the code for Control and spend the 3 minutes it will take to alter the program so that we can use both the iOS app and an Artist Control simultaneously. Thank you.
I'm having a hard time understanding the hostility here.
A lot of companies release mobile apps with a v1 minimum viable product, early in development, to see how customers respond and what they want.

We could have released a standalone product that didn't work with any control surface, but we put in time to make it work with Transport, Mix, Color, and S3.

Like I said earlier, it's not a "3 minute" lift to build in simultaneous interoperability with Control. EUCON was designed for one control unit.

Remember, Artist Series shipped in 2007. The only competition was the Mackie Control, and we followed the design paradigm of one master and multiple peripheral products, albeit a step up as the peripherals can operate as independent units.

Honestly, if you don't like it, and don't want to use it, it's your prerogative. It's a free app that does some things well and admittedly will improve over time. However coming onto forums with such hostility and vitriol isn't really justified when we are doing exactly what people have asked us to do, which is get products into the market early, learn from feedback, and course correct.

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Don't understand that answer. As far as I read it when you were talking about the app a few months ago it could be used with all Avid Eucon gear.

We have 4 units, 1 Control, 2 Mix and 1 Transport.

I never asked about 2 Control units, I wanted to ask why it is only controlling the artist mix and not the artist control as we have both?

And for the record I don't agree with the "its good enough" right now and its free!! I can tell you that our HD systems were not "free" nor the hardware and this is a tool for using with said purchases and if it doesn't work, why release it then?
As I just posted,

A lot of companies release mobile apps with a v1 minimum viable product, early in development, to see how customers respond and what they want.

We are doing exactly what people have asked us to do, which is get products into the market early, learn from feedback, and course correct.

JC
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist PM View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding the hostility here.

We could have released a standalone product that didn't work with any control surface, but we put in time to make it work with Transport, Mix, Color, and S3.

Like I said earlier, it's not a "3 minute" lift to build in simultaneous interoperability with Control. EUCON was designed for one control unit.

Remember, Artist Series shipped in 2007. The only competition was the Mackie Control, and we followed the design paradigm of one master and multiple peripheral products, albeit a step up as the peripherals can operate as independent units.

Honestly, if you don't like it, and don't want to use it, it's your prerogative. It's a free app that does some things well and admittedly will improve over time. However coming onto forums with such hostility and vitriol isn't really justified when we are doing exactly what people have asked us to do, which is get products into the market early, learn from feedback, and course correct.

JC
The reason there is hostility is because a), you spent time, and therefore OUR money, rush releasing a product that doesn't live up to the hype and doesn't perform as well as other companies' v1, b) you broke functionality on already working kit, just to rush release and c) the time and money spent on this could have been much better used fixing the multitude of issues that have been outstanding for too long.

For people who have signed up to the contract especially, you have wasted OUR time and OUR money.

I'd have thought that the reason for hostility was perfectly clear.

Now, please do not hesitate to release 11.3.2, so those of us who have invested heavily in your equipment and software for decades, can regain functionality.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
The reason there is hostility is because a), you spent time, and therefore OUR money, rush releasing a product that doesn't live up to the hype and doesn't perform as well as other companies' v1, b) you broke functionality on already working kit, just to rush release and c) the time and money spent on this could have been much better used fixing the multitude of issues that have been outstanding for too long.

For people who have signed up to the contract especially, you have wasted OUR time and OUR money.

I'd have thought that the reason for hostility was perfectly clear.

Now, please do not hesitate to release 11.3.2, so those of us who have invested heavily in your equipment and software for decades, can regain functionality.
+1
If you think about your (Avids) policy the last years you might get what created hostility. You are a very helpful guy in this forum JC. Don't take it personal, but Avid's heading in a wrong direction imho.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 AM

"We are doing exactly what people have asked us to do, which is get products into the market early, learn from feedback, and course correct." JC

JC you are one of the good guys and you shouldn't get the crap you do, however can I say (and this is meant without any kind of dig) that what you seem to be describing is a public beta.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

This time and money could have been better spent fixing Field Recorder Work Flow in 11.3.1. And maybe also the plugin mapping on the Artist Control?

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM

This ably demonstrates the company's absolute disconnect from the users.