Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 06:37 AM

Default Digi control surface - essential?

I don't own a Digi control surface only a QWERTY keyboard and mouse. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm seriously missing out. I wonder specifically how much more creative I could get with plug-in automation. Especially with more HTDM plug-ins imminent such as soft synths and the like, am I scratching the surface of PT without an additional control surface?
Also, as it is Virus patch changes are preposterous with mouse and qwerty (will NI make patch changes easier for their plug's) would a HUI or Pro Control help there too?
thanx

Irene
Old 11-20-2001, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Digi control surface - essential?

Hey - the room I work in a lot has a Mackie HUI. Honestly, I take it offline ALL OF THE TIME. It just slows me down.

Maybe I am missing something!? But I haven't come up short on a project because I didn't use the HUI.

I think this is a matter of preference. I really don't miss knobs and faders.

Ok, let me put my flame suit on before the Pro Control freaks arrive!!

Andy O.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:50 AM

I don'thave a controlsurface and I have gotten very very fast on PT. I still want one. Even though at first I'm sure I would slow down a bit, the idea of multiple Faders and EQ control at the same time is too much to pass up. Hopefully before the year is out I will have the Control 24. If not, I'll work on as fast as ever.
Not a need but a luxury.
If you have to have a control surface you just haven't learned to do without.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:33 AM

Agreed. If you're fast with a mouse, you're all set. IMHO the best thing about a control surface is the "aaah" factor with clients.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:15 PM

I was fast on Pro Tools and then I bought a Pro Control. Now I am MUCH faster. It makes a big difference. If you're clients are impressed by your speed, or if you want to stand out from the crowd, get a control surface.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:15 AM

Renie,
I'd say that unless you are working with clients, whom you need to impress with your dazzling speed and proficiency, and equally dazzling arrary of faders, buttons and lights, then I don't think the cost of the more usable control surfaces is justified. Certain Digi gurus I've spoken with recently have poo-poo'd the usefulness/cost ratio as well. Another factor to keep in mind is the extent to which the learning curve might be steepened by purchasing a shiny, new control surface. And yet another factor - what else could you buy with that money that might be even more useful? Additional farm cards? PCI expansion bay? The list goes on...

[p.s. news from NYC & studio pix forthcoming...]
Old 11-21-2001, 11:13 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by knewbee:
what else could you buy with that money that might be even more useful? Additional farm cards? PCI expansion bay? The list goes on...

[
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why Knewbee, I think you might be right!

(PS. look forward to latest)

Renie
Old 11-21-2001, 11:20 AM

If you have come from a traditional console background you will find a control surface pretty damn usefull for:

a) Balancing multi-track vocal harmony parts
b) Balancing Multi mic drum kits
c) Balancing many elements in a mix with both hands

Those are just three examples where a pair of hands got used in the 'old days'.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

16 fader ProControl rocks!
www.gearslutz.com
Old 11-21-2001, 11:39 AM

I use and like the HUI at work. There's very little learning curve associated with it - you move a fader, it writes it to the screen. If you don't like what you did, roll back and do it again. The scrub wheel's great for editing. But for the price, I'd buy one for my home rig on the basis of those two features alone, and then there's all the other stuff it does.

The other reason to get a controller is to protect yourself from RSI. You may not have trouble doing everything with a mouse just now, but you could be storing up trouble for yourself later. I was lucky - I got away with tennis elbow which some anti-inflammatory drugs healed. Some people end up not being able to work.

Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:14 AM

Thanks for excellent feedback.
I can imagine two hands on a mix being exciting again and particularly nice for collaborative sessions and plug-in fun. But also can imagine building up a track and seeing the control interface as something that's better left off because it'd get 'in the way'. I'll get one eventually though because I want to experiment with it and it's good to have flexibility. As none of the current models appeal to me, I'll wait.

Renie