Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 PM

Default cant get enough volume out of rode NT1A when trying to record acoustic guitar

Hi guys

Im just starting to experiment with recording guitar with a mic, i have done a fair bit of recording guitars straight into my interface and " out of the box recordings and have had varied degrees of success with that... anyway
I recently borrowed a rode nt1a off a freind, im trying to record a nylon sting guitar with this mic, my interface is a focusrite scarlett 8i6. and im running pro tools 12.2.
The touble im having is that i cant get barely any volume.
I have to have the gain turned right up on the scarlet to even faintly hear the guitar when playing back.
I have the mic right up close to the guitar.
Should i be recording with plugins to get more volume?

my knowlage of recording with mics is pretty basic.... so thanks for any help in advance.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 PM

Default Re: cant get enough volume out of rode NT1A when trying to record acoustic guitar

I bet you have a pad on the mic pre of the scarlet

Also you need to have the +48v phantom supply turned on (turn your mic pre gain down first

Those should do the trick for you
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 PM

Default Re: cant get enough volume out of rode NT1A when trying to record acoustic guitar

thanks for the quick responce mate, what do u mean by a pad?
I have the 48v turned on.
Cheer Ben
Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Re: cant get enough volume out of rode NT1A when trying to record acoustic guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens10 View Post
thanks for the quick responce mate, what do u mean by a pad?
I have the 48v turned on.
Cheer Ben
Hey Ben

checked and those interfaces doesn't have a PAD option so thats a bust.

Have you tried another xlr cable as those can break and not make the signal pass correctly?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-21-2015, 09:21 PM

Here are a few lines about the gain function when recording as it doesn't have a Pad Switch.

And the text and manual here might help you some aswell.

https://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpr...8i6-review.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.6 KB, 0 views)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-22-2015, 03:12 AM

Cheers Christopher.
no i haven't tried a different cable, but this will be the first thing ill try as iv had the Scarlett for a few years now, and when i first got it i'm pretty sure i didn't have this problem... ( the only recording I've done through a mic is when i first got it... and its been a while
Had a quick read through that info, a fair bit of it went straight over my head, but there was a couple of things that stood out...
in the conclusion it says.
"Some users are wary (or suspicious) of the need to turn a control nearly full up, as you
might need to do with the monitor volume or input gain. This is really nothing to
worry about, and it’s common with a lot of products in this class."
???hmmm
also when you say "Here are a few lines about the gain function when recording as it doesn't have a Pad Switch." are you referring to the manual?
Cheers again mate.. appreciate the help
Old 11-22-2015, 03:21 AM

oops sorry just seen your attachment, the few lines makes more sense now.
so if i was to have the gain turned right up in the mic input of the scarlett, should i be able to get it to hit the red on the track in pro tools? because i cant even get it to hit the yellow.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens10 View Post
oops sorry just seen your attachment, the few lines makes more sense now.
so if i was to have the gain turned right up in the mic input of the scarlett, should i be able to get it to hit the red on the track in pro tools? because i cant even get it to hit the yellow.
You should never hit red in PT

How close are you sitting to the mic? We have an old NT1A here and i pulled it out of the drawers and set it up. We have loads of expensive stuff to amp the mic and we have to drive the preamps wayyyyy up to hear anything and to get a signal into PT12 HD.

How are your meters set? Are they set to pre fader metering?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXEYlEt-dCQ

Check that video short and try to change and see what happens.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 PM

I have two NT1's (pre NT1 A years) that I have been using for years. I have been using them with saffire pro for over two years with no problems at all. I've successfully recorded all types of instruments with the gain @ less than 50% and hitting -12 to -6dbfs in my Mix Control software.

Forget PT for right now, open your mix control software and check to see where you're levels are at in there. Post a screen shot if you can. If it's not the XLR cable, then it can also be the mic. NT1's are not the most robust microphone, and if they've been abused their failure is immanent.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 AM

hi guys
Yeah i realise you shouldn't hit the red but thought i should be able to if i try.
i just checked out the video link Christopher.... and wow u learn something new every day.
i haven't had a chance to get a new xlr cable yet but ill have a play around and get back (just need to find the time )
also i'm very close to the mic.
dr daw, ill also have a look at the mix control and keep ya posted. thanks again for the advice