Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2015, 11:38 PM

Default Re: can hardly hear myself while recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Could be LLM is on, and he's monitoring direct through the interface. Is this the case?
That is one of the reasons I keep asking for a clear description of how exactly monitoring is begin done/suggesting a test of pure Pro Tools based monitoring.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That is one of the reasons I keep asking for a clear description of how exactly monitoring is begin done/suggesting a test of pure Pro Tools based monitoring.
do you mean direct through the interface as in headphones plugged in to Mbox?

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 06-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
And the other questions?

You are complaining about monitoring level problems right? The mic is only quiet while monitoring/tracking and is a better level when you play back that recorded track? yes or no?

I am still not sure how you are monitoring when recording. Through the interface hardware of fully though Pro Tools?

If not fully though Pro Tools you need to set it up to do that (turn the mix knob all the way oppose to from whatever extreme position gives you full local hardware motioning).

You are recoding to a mono audio track right?

Remove all plugins on the mic input channel and make sure it is directly routed to an output. No busing, no plugins in the signal flow at all and see if that works. In fact start with a clean empty session and just use that.

You are comparing two mic. What is the other mic?

Test equally ... speaking or singing into two closely spaced mics going to two separate Mbox 2 mic inputs and track each to two separate mono audio channels and send each one to different sides of the headphones. Swap the mic cable XLR connectors into the Mbox mic inputs and see if any problem follows the mic or stays with the interface input.
The input while tracking is perfectly fine. I have two of the same mics both do the same thing plugged into the MBox 2. I have no plugins on it at all.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
do you mean direct through the interface as in headphones plugged in to Mbox?
No. I mean do what i described before.... make sure you are *not* monitoring thought the interface (see below for explanation). Turn the mix knob all the way the other way from hardware monitoring. So in this case I'm asking you to turn the mix knob fully clockwise and leave it there while you sort out what is going on. With the mix knob fully clockwise what happens? Do you hear anything (be careful you are not just hearing source bleedthrough in the headphones). What happens as you change track input monitoring mode, increase the mic preamp gain, track fader and master volume fader levels, if you stick a plugin with a decent amount of gain on the mic track?

There are two ways sound gets from your microphone(s) to your headphone (or monitors). One is though Pro Tools (aka software monitoring). The other is though dedicated motioning hardware in your Mbox). The blend of those two is what the mix knob controls. We cannot even follow whether you are trying to use software or hardware motioning, if you understand the difference, etc. You might for example be using a blend of mostly hardware monitoring but wasting your time in Pro Tools trying to get stuff louder and it won't go louder because you are mostly hearing the hardware motioning path. Maybe you understand all this and are well beyond it in debugging--but we have no way of knowing that. See why we need a *clear* description of exactly what you are doing.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
The input while tracking is perfectly fine. I have two of the same mics both do the same thing plugged into the MBox 2. I have no plugins on it at all.
Huh? You started this thread titled "can hardly hear myself while recording " now you are saying "The input while tracking is perfectly fine."-- do you mean the input level on the meter looks OK but you can't hear it loud enough while tracking, or that it is loud enough when tracking but when playing back what you just recorded it is not or what? And that problem only happens for that one mic?

So both mic you have been experimenting with are the same model? And both behave the same? I thought you said before that only one of you mics had this problem.

Can you just start over and in one post clearly describe what is going on. include photos, drawings, and details -- whatever you need to do to make this clear to somebody not looking over your shoulder. Incldue details like what mic models, inputs, knob positions, you are talking about. You've been asking about problems kind of like this for over a year now right? You may have some misunderstanding about something, and/or a faulty piece of hardware, either way it would be good to get to the bottom of this.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
No. I mean do what i described before.... make sure you are *not* monitoring thought the interface (see below for explanation). Turn the mix knob all the way the other way from hardware monitoring. So in this case I'm asking you to turn the mix knob fully clockwise and leave it there while you sort out what is going on. With the mix knob fully clockwise what happens? Do you hear anything (be careful you are not just hearing source bleedthrough in the headphones). What happens as you change track input monitoring mode, increase the mic preamp gain, track fader and master volume fader levels, if you stick a plugin with a decent amount of gain on the mic track?

There are two ways sound gets from your microphone(s) to your headphone (or monitors). One is though Pro Tools (aka software monitoring). The other is though dedicated motioning hardware in your Mbox). The blend of those two is what the mix knob controls. We cannot even follow whether you are trying to use software or hardware motioning, if you understand the difference, etc. You might for example be using a blend of mostly hardware monitoring but wasting your time in Pro Tools trying to get stuff louder and it won't go louder because you are mostly hearing the hardware motioning path. Maybe you understand all this and are well beyond it in debugging--but we have no way of knowing that. See why we need a *clear* description of exactly what you are doing.
Sorry for the confusion.

When I had meant the other mic was working fine I was referring to it being hitched up to a mixing board. ANYWAY (Starting over)

I have the Mix Knob turned all the way clockwise like you are suggesting.

I have an input level on the mono audio track reading -6 (should be loud enough for headphones)

I have no plug ins on this track.

When I hit record and Solo the record track I don't hear myself in the headphones except for a faint sound of myself.

The tracks fader is turned all the way and the input level on the Mbox 2 is all the way up. (so it's input level signal is clipping, I obviously wouldn't record with it clipping I just turned it up this far to see if increasing the input made it louder in the headphones.)

The other strange thing is I don't even get an input signal of green unless the input knob on my Mbox 2 is turned up about 70 percent all the way up.

I can record just fine as when I play it back it's loud and it's playback level is in the yellow.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.

When I had meant the other mic was working fine I was referring to it being hitched up to a mixing board. ANYWAY (Starting over)

I have the Mix Knob turned all the way clockwise like you are suggesting.

I have an input level on the mono audio track reading -6 (should be loud enough for headphones)

I have no plug ins on this track.

When I hit record and Solo the record track I don't hear myself in the headphones except for a faint sound of myself.

The tracks fader is turned all the way and the input level on the Mbox 2 is all the way up. (so it's input level signal is clipping, I obviously wouldn't record with it clipping I just turned it up this far to see if increasing the input made it louder in the headphones.)

The other strange thing is I don't even get an input signal of green unless the input knob on my Mbox 2 is turned up about 70 percent all the way up.

I can record just fine as when I play it back it's loud and it's playback level is in the yellow.
You are using Pro Tools software not Pro Tools HD software right?

So this behavior follows the mic, if you take the other mic and connect it you can now hear more loudly while tracking?

Oh and I forgot you are actually using an MBox 2 not an MBox 2 Pro so the low latency monitoring issue in Pro Tools 11 won't affect you here... since there is no Pro Tools low latency monitoring with a plain MBox 2.

Again, it almost sounds like you might be in the wrong track monitoring mode, but we don't know if you are tryign to punch in, use quick punch etc. etc. So make sure you are not in punch in or quick punch mode, make sure you have the track record armed and the transport in record mode (not quick punch) and press play. Can you now hear the mic input?

If not try from a new empty session with just one track and one master fader and post screenshots of the mix window and transport window with this occurring where we can see the meters and tracks and read any text clearly.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
You are using Pro Tools software not Pro Tools HD software right?

So this behavior follows the mic, if you take the other mic and connect it you can now hear more loudly while tracking?

Oh and I forgot you are actually using an MBox 2 not an MBox 2 Pro so the low latency monitoring issue in Pro Tools 11 won't affect you here... since there is no Pro Tools low latency monitoring with a plain MBox 2.

Again, it almost sounds like you might be in the wrong track monitoring mode, but we don't know if you are tryign to punch in, use quick punch etc. etc. So make sure you are not in punch in or quick punch mode, make sure you have the track record armed and the transport in record mode (not quick punch) and press play. Can you now hear the mic input?

If not try from a new empty session with just one track and one master fader and post screenshots of the mix window and transport window with this occurring where we can see the meters and tracks and read any text clearly.
even the second mic does the same thing as far not me hearing myself loud. It's not in punch mode. It's track is Armed.

Don't ask me why it says input 7. I have never been able to figure out why it says that with an Mbox 2.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 06-24-2015, 11:32 PM

You can name the inputs to whatever you want them to be. Input 7 could be input 1 on the device.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmulay View Post
You can name the inputs to whatever you want them to be. Input 7 could be input 1 on the device.
yeah I know but I don't recall renaming 1 to 7 LOL

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11