Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Default Re: How do you pros compensate delay

I'm pretty sure that as long as the "delay" sample count on each track is under the amount of your buffer.. you shouldn't hear any latency.. I use SSL Channel on each channel of my mixes and it ass 1 sample of latency. and most of my other plugins per channel have 0. Thats what i use for tracking at 64 buff

and once im going to mix down if i put buffer up to 1024

then on Master channel goes; Digi 7 ban(for low end cut at 20hz) 0 latency, then SSL Comp 1 sample latency, then Maxim 1024 Latency... but its on the master so it doesn't put the mixed channels out of sync.

and if im not mistaken.. if you have your buffer at 1024 on mix down and your tracks have plugins with 0-1024 sample latency.. they will be buffed.. and there for in sync. Plugins like Waves C-1 and some of that other crap that adds liek 3600 sample latency in my opinion shouldn't REALLY be used as an RTAS it should just be an AS... but the company wants you to have more options which in turn presents more problems with latency.

correct me if im wrong please because this is what i think is correct.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
and if im not mistaken.. if you have your buffer at 1024 on mix down and your tracks have plugins with 0-1024 sample latency.. they will be buffed.. and there for in sync.
Last time I checked, this was not true. Also another thing to look at is the latency that the plug-in reports to PT. Last time I checked plug-in latency in LE, at least 50% of plug-ins I tested reported the wrong amount.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
and if im not mistaken.. if you have your buffer at 1024 on mix down and your tracks have plugins with 0-1024 sample latency.. they will be buffed.. and there for in sync.
Yeah thats not true the HWBS in PTLE or MP does not compenstate for delay - it simply is an amount of time given to the processor/s to process plugins before it is mixed with the original audio, just this.

A Digi rep told me otherwise at the S-S-R in manchester but he told me wrong as i started a thread up about this last year and it was confirmed it's for the above, unfortunately....
Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Does anyone here TRACK WITH SSL's on? I thought at 64 this might work, but i havent tried it so i havent checked it out.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
I'm pretty sure that as long as the "delay" sample count on each track is under the amount of your buffer.. you shouldn't hear any latency..
Not true.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM

1. There's ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION between buffer size and plugin latency , unless we're talking about DSP-card-based plugins like UAD or Powercore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenk2k View Post
Does anyone here TRACK WITH SSL's on? I thought at 64 this might work, but i havent tried it so i havent checked it out.
2. If you track with your SSL channels activated, add 1 sample of delay to the already 64 samples of your buffer size. So you have 65. Doesn't sound that much worse than 64... So you can leave it on.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Hmm.. alright.. well i guess its a good thing i don't use plugins that have high(or any) latency.

Quote:
I do all the time with sessions 24bit/48khz @ 64 buffer.. the delay reported is 1 on the channel.. I'm not sure what that translates to but i have never had a person complain of any kinda doubling effect or delay. I have tracked 16 channels at once for a 1 hours Live set with SSL channel on each track with out any problems.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 AM

care to drift back to 2006??? discussion been goin' on for quite some time

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
I use the Logic plugin.
Yeah but then you're stuck using Logic.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
Yeah but then you're stuck using Logic.
Sounds like you're stuck thinking about Logic 7.