Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Default cpu overload -- ram?

Hi, I just set up ProTools 8 m-box mini on a new imac 20" 2.66 ghz. Getting the CPU overload on just a few tracks with Structure/Xpand and browsing loops in the workspace browser. Using only digi installed plugs, configured everything as per recommended. External F/W 400 drive --> imac 800 port via 400/800 cable, though error is happening on just midi sessions with or without a few audio loops. [edit: now getting the cpu -6101 error with one instance of structure/3 parts. Static as well b4 the error message. Buffer size 1024. Wondering if I should be calling tech support at this point...?]

So, looking at the Pro Tools System Usage, my RTAS CPU is under 5%. I configured playback engine to increase H/W buffer size and limited RTAS cpu to one processor at 65%. Then I looked at the RAM usage with Apple activity monitor and it's practically maxed out: used aprox 1.5 GB, Free: 200-300MB. I have 2 gigs that came with the iMac... Is this a ram issue?

BTW, does anyone have suggestions on which RAM to buy and where? I've heard that OS X and PT can be particular as to which kind but I'd like to save $ if possible... Thanks!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 PM

Default Re: cpu overload -- ram?

I am so bummed right now. A new iMac, mbox mini and I'm getting CPU overload messages all the time with very small sessions. I'm wondering now if this is really a ram issue or not, I should be able to run at least 1 virtual instrument in Pro Tools without this error?

Let's see, other pertinent info:
OS X version 10.5.6
iMac 2.66 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 2GB stock ram
Pro Tools V 8.0, Mbox Mini
Motif Rack via usb
Korg Microkontrol usb
Kensington Expert Mouse
Maxtor 500Gb f/w 400 HD
only Pro Tools 8 installed plug-ins
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Well, one thing I missed was that I had used the mbox mini for the system output recently. Changing that back to the imac default speakers has improved things, will try a new sesh with lot's of plug-ins/instruments and see what happens...

[edit]
Made a new session with 5 rtas instruments: boom, structure, xpand(2) and piano. Performance is better but still getting cpu errors including a new one: -9128 "you are running out of cpu power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase the CPU Usage Limit in the Playback Engine dialog". Playback settings are: buffer: 512mb, processor: 1 at 50%. PT activity monitor shows rtas cpu around 10-15%. Apple activity monitor shows 10-15mb free ram. So, I guess I'm back to my original question... do i need more than the stock 2 GB of ram that came with the iMac to stop the CPU error messages?

anyone?

Hello world?

Last edited by WestphalMusic; 05-13-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: update from test session
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Avid

Try changing the Playback Engine settings to 1 processor at 85%.

And, yes, getting more RAM is very likely to improve performance, especially if you're using samplers that load samples into RAM.

Just to be absolutely sure - you've definitely disabled Firewire networking on this machine, yes?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM

Thank you. Firewire Networking has been disabled. I've tried changing the playback 1 processor to just about every setting from 50% to 99%, still get the cpu errors. They usually happen at playback start and then subside for a while. Before investing in Ram, I'd like to confirm that this is not an mbox hardware issue since I just purchased it. Do you think I need more than 2 GB of ram to run 4-5 VIs? If so, should I only purchase Apple Ram?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM

If you stream thing into the ram, than you definately need more than 2gb. No need to buy appleram.

Tamas Dragon
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Unhappy Re: cpu overload -- ram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestphalMusic View Post
Hi, I just set up ProTools 8 m-box mini on a new imac 20" 2.66 ghz. Getting the CPU overload on just a few tracks with Structure/Xpand and browsing loops in the workspace browser. Using only digi installed plugs, configured everything as per recommended. External F/W 400 drive --> imac 800 port via 400/800 cable, though error is happening on just midi sessions with or without a few audio loops. [edit: now getting the cpu -6101 error with one instance of structure/3 parts. Static as well b4 the error message. Buffer size 1024. Wondering if I should be calling tech support at this point...?]

So, looking at the Pro Tools System Usage, my RTAS CPU is under 5%. I configured playback engine to increase H/W buffer size and limited RTAS cpu to one processor at 65%. Then I looked at the RAM usage with Apple activity monitor and it's practically maxed out: used aprox 1.5 GB, Free: 200-300MB. I have 2 gigs that came with the iMac... Is this a ram issue?

BTW, does anyone have suggestions on which RAM to buy and where? I've heard that OS X and PT can be particular as to which kind but I'd like to save $ if possible... Thanks!!!
I've got the same Imac (I have purchased the last month), the Mbox2, but my Ram is 4Gb, my Rtas cpu is on 85% and the buffer size is on 512. I'VE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_boy View Post
I've got the same Imac (I have purchased the last month), the Mbox2, but my Ram is 4Gb, my Rtas cpu is on 85% and the buffer size is on 512. I'VE GOT THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many processors do you have it set to in the Playback Enging - 1 or 2?

What are the rest of your system specs?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
How many processors do you have it set to in the Playback Enging - 1 or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
What are the rest of your system specs?
Imac 20" (Leopard 10.5.6) Intel Core Duo 2,66 Ghz. 320Gb, 4Gb RAM.

Pro Tools LE 8 (with cs2 update), Mbox2 by USB and external disk Lacie d2 Quadra by Firewire 800.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_boy View Post

Imac 20" (Leopard 10.5.6) Intel Core Duo 2,66 Ghz. 320Gb, 4Gb RAM.

Pro Tools LE 8 (with cs2 update), Mbox2 by USB and external disk Lacie d2 Quadra by Firewire 800.

Please try it with 1 processor in the playback engine and let us know if anything changes.

Also, you may want to visit the General Troubleshooting thread, as it has several other suggestions that may help.