Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 05:00 AM

Default PT 7.1 Worst version ever

I've been using it for one day and I', already pulling my hair out. Fair enough it works with HT on but as soon as you try and load it with any mroe than 4 plugs it starts getting stressed. The worst thing about this version is that instead of progressively getting slower as u load it up it just skimps out completely and makes a dirty great buzzing noise so you have to restart it. The MIDI beat clock is terrible. The screen redraws are constantly jittery - if only I could use expand with 6.9 I wouldnt have wasted my time losing 2 sessions. I'm in the middle of a complete system freeze and just preying that if I leave it 5 mins then the autosave will catch it. But generally Im gutted
Old 03-26-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Re: PT 7.1 Worst version ever

Hmmm. Interesting.
I have no problem loading sessions with 25+ plugins, and haven't experienced any of the other issues you've described with 7.1.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:54 AM

I have gone from 6.9 to 7.0 + cs without having problems with previouse sessions.
Now that I have upgraded to 7.1 I have problems with sessions. Some sessions can only be loaded after PT crash (just quites in the loading process), restarting the computer and delete the Digidesign database catalogues. After saving these loaded sessions and then try to reload them, same thing happens.

On tuesday I will load a clean WinXP image onto the computer and install 7.1 from scratch and see if that helps. Do anyone know why 7.1 corrupts the digidesign database catalogues??
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 AM

Well I did perform a 'save session copy in' so that I could reduce the session sample rate to 44.1 as working at 88.2 was almost killing the system. I wonder if it's something to do with this but it happened on a normal session after.

So frustrating and dunno what to do.

6.4 gave me better results than this. May roll back to 7 to see if there's any difference as never really tested it.

L.Dudley
Old 03-26-2006, 06:11 PM

I have one question, If what you have is working why upgrade? It seems like there is a new version of something that comes out about every other month or so and then all hell breaks loose.

I upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0 only after I saw that everyone was having success with it. My system seems to be stable and I am making money. Why would I want to take a chance and upgrade to something that I know nothing about.

Just a thought

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 03-26-2006, 07:20 PM

its seems that the only real reason to go from the PTLE 7.0cs5 or whatever it is. to PTLE 7.1 is onloy if you are getting the musicians production toolkit, Which gives you the 48 tracks and some cool plugins... But for jsut upgrading from the 7.0CS stuff... why do it? I've never really had problems with upgrading my PTLE versions... although I've only gone form 6.1 to 6.4. heh heh. I have 7.0 and the 7.1 upgrade waiting to be installed for when i get my quad-core. I hope everythign clears up for you guys.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:51 PM

scar97
Quote:
It seems like there is a new version of something that comes out about every other month or so and then all hell breaks loose.
Quote:
Why would I want to take a chance and upgrade to something that I know nothing about.
Quote:
I upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0 only after I saw that everyone was having success with it.
A interesting way of thinking ...and I also see your point, but if everyone took this approach and never participated in a newly released version, we'd end up with a retardation. Digidesign can't foretell every error or bug incurred upon the recommended systems list. The program needs people to take risks ...there's only one thing certain in life ...and it ain't life.

Just a thought.

filosofem

Old 03-26-2006, 11:37 PM

I have also had some problems with 7.1. For some reason my display hasn't been working with 7.1 very well. Not waveforms, but just stange other things, like database screens when I am reconnecting tracks, or plugins. Also, sometimes my tracks are inactive when I start the program. I have figured out work arounds for a lot of the stuff, but it still sucks doing it. I guess that this is one advantage of Mac over PC. You only have one supplier, and one supply, so you know what you are getting, and so does the software designer. I don't like working this stuff out though, that is for sure.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
A interesting way of thinking ...and I also see your point, but if everyone took this approach and never participated in a newly released version, we'd end up with a retardation. Digidesign can't foretell every error or bug incurred upon the recommended systems list. The program needs people to take risks ...there's only one thing certain in life ...and it ain't life.

Just a thought.

filosofem

Word up!!

BTW - I'd go for 2 certainties - you musta forgot about taxes

HANSON'S RAZOR:
Never attribute to evil that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I have one question, If what you have is working why upgrade? It seems like there is a new version of something that comes out about every other month or so and then all hell breaks loose.

I upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0 only after I saw that everyone was having success with it. My system seems to be stable and I am making money. Why would I want to take a chance and upgrade to something that I know nothing about.

Just a thought
Well lots of reasons for me to do this to be honest:

1. I wanted to be able to enable Hyper-threading

2. I want to upgrade to the Musicians bundle

3. Why shouldn't I have the right to enjoy the likes of Xpand or anything else which may be released in the future?

To name just a few.

It seems that with the late 6 versions they managed to provide us with a decent, solid working system, so how comes that 7 provides us with lovely little extras which arent THAT useful such as a single regions list (Which I actually find rather irritating) but the one thing which it cant provide us with, which is perhaps the most important of them all: Stability. Believe me I'm not trying to dig DIGI out and you'll very rarely hear me moan on this forum but it seems like they have progressed with the small and somewhat gimmicky factors and regressed on the fundamental important factor. Hopefully I'm completely wrong and it's just that my P4 system is getting old quickly. But what Im trying to say is surely they must have written 7 based upon 6, so why the decline in performance, if anything it should stay the same? Hopefully 7.2 will be a lot more stable Oh well thats my grumble sorted