Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2000, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Totally frustrated

Hi imwms,

I had this problem with launching PTLE but once without rebooting. The problem was a midi interface (Steinberg PC-Midi 3). The interface worked fine in PTLE, but I couln't exit, I mean I had to kill the program and reboot. I decided to disable this midi-interface and the problem was gone. Maybe your problem is something like this ?
Old 06-14-2000, 01:55 PM

I'm afraid I've disabled all I'm going to. It is totally unreasonable to suggest that we must disable our whole systems just to run this program. For what it's worth, I've pulled EVERYTHING and it does the same thing. BUT, I shouldn't have to pull ANYTHING. A computer has a network card. A computer has usb ports. It just does. And this program should work with them. It's like saying your new car stereo will only work if you remove the muffler and the turn signals.
Old 06-14-2000, 02:01 PM

Jim,

When PTLE won't open the session file, what does it do? Does it hang the machine? Give you an error message?

Also, when you can't reopen the application without rebooting first - is there an error message? Did PTLE seem to terminate normally when you shut it down previously?

Eric Day
DAE Engineer

[This message has been edited by Digi Engineering (edited June 14, 2000).]
Old 06-14-2000, 03:10 PM

Thanks for following this, Eric.

Scenario 1.:

Clean boot.
Open PTLE
Open Demo or template file.
Close.
Close PTLE.
Open PTLE.
Program Error box: A fatal exception has occurred. Generates log error; "access violation"
Close program error box.
Windows Illegal Operation Box
Can't close, machine hangs. Hard reset.

Scenario 2.

Open PTLE
Select open session
Choose file from drop down of past files (file was saved to its own directory on D drive)
Long pause
Program Error box; fatal exception (access violation in log)
Close box, PTLE closes
Launch PTLE again, box says PT did not shut down correctly the last time, have to reboot.

Scenario 3.

Open PTLE
Open file from window (rather than drop down file list)
Attempts to open, pauses then shows garbage for pan data
Box says Pro Tools experieced an unknown error and must now exit. You may have to reboot....
Am able to close program.

I really need this stuff to work. I am prepared to buy a G4 or to buy specific compnonents that you can verify will run this program properly. Or, of course, you could refund my money and I'll go in a different direction.

Thanks,

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimwms (edited June 14, 2000).]
Old 06-14-2000, 03:21 PM

Did it all again with some minor differences (like selecting "close session" from file menu instead of just closing boxes. Managed to get Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. Runtime error, abnormal program termination.

Who knows what's next!

JW
Old 06-14-2000, 07:31 PM

Seems I may have solved the problem by disabling UDMA 66 completely in bios and moving drives to IDE slot. I'll be watching closely for a day or two to see how things perform. Will probably try a different board if it continues to appear that the Abit is the problem. This board may be an overclockers dream, but it doesn't work with this program with UDMA 66 enabled.

Thanks,

Jim Williams
Old 06-15-2000, 08:23 AM

jim,

Like others have said, the BE6-II seems to have a lot of problems with the ATA66 controller. Also, a buddy of mine just bought one and all of the sudden his computer just freezes. He removed every card from his system and even bought some high dollar name brand RAM. Still locks up. I told him to try disabling the ATA66 controller. I'll try to remember to post here and let you know if it makes a difference. I really don't think this is a ProTools problem. I suspect that ATA66 controller.

Try moving your harddrives to the ATA33 controller, but make sure you disable the the ATA66 in the bios. Free up all of the IRQs you can.

You asked before for a motherboard that works...I'm using ABIT BH6. PII 400. IBM 14GB system drive on ATA33 onboard controller and a 27 GB Quantum Firball KX on a Promise ATA66 card for the audio drive. No problems with stability. Good luck.
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX
Old 06-15-2000, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm off to the store to pick up a controller card.
Old 06-15-2000, 10:36 AM

to bstaley

You say you've got a Promise ATA66 card - is that just the ATA66 controller card, or is it the one that also does RAID?

I've got the one that does RAID and digi said I'd get problems using it in a RAID configuration, but if I could use it as an ATA66 controller, then at least I could get some use out of it...

ST
Old 06-15-2000, 06:27 PM

My Promise card is not the RAID version. The funny thing is, the RAID card is actually the same thing as the regular controller card. There is one wire that needs soldered and you need to flash the bios. Check out www.tomshardware.com. There is an article about modifying them. Usually people by the cheap controller card and modify it into the expensice RAID card, not the other way around. To be honest with you, I think a RAID system is really overkill for PT LE. Just make sure you have a dedicated 7200RPM drive and you will be fine.
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU RT
EnerMax EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 RT
GeForce2MX