Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM

Default Re: cpu overload -- ram?

Look at all the views this thread is getting.......there is a problem and no one is telling the truth.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 AM

You need to make sure your plug-ins are updated to the latest versions, for starters. Does it cost money for some (Waves) to be updated? Of course. If you don't want to pay, don't use them. I don't have the money to afford Waves, so I don't use them.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM

any luck with your issue? I have similar issues on a Macpro with 6 gigs ram. Happens with T-racks 3 (I know its not coded right) and digi vsts too.
2009 MacPro w/Two 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors - 6 GB - Mbox2 PRO - Pro Tools 8 w/Complete Production Toolkit - 3 x KRK RPG 6s, 2 x KRK RPG 5s, 1 x KRK 10S / T-racks 3 / Izotope RX / Wave Arts / PSP / Massey / Joemeeks / ARC system/ Snapper / Microphones galore
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Avid

Jmitchell is correct - you MUST have ONLY compatible plug-ins installed. Having incompatible plug-ins in your plug-ins folder, even if you're not using them in the session, can cause problems.

You can view the compatibility grid here.

Once you've removed any incompatible ones, trash prefs and test again. Keep in mind some plug-ins require that you have less than the maximum processors selected in the playback engine.

If you are still having problems, please provide a plug-in version list (you can find the utility to generate one in the General Troubleshooting thread) along with your complete system specs and a list of troubleshooting steps that you've tried.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM

Digitech!

I have the same problems, still i have done everything that i can do according to troubleshooting.

It's better, but still problem. Now i can have 10-13 instruments then i get the "error" message. I have an iMac 2.4 with 4GB Ram....

I have decide to sell my mbox mini and switch to Logic pro, because this is to much...

/Johnny
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami_ View Post
Digitech!

I have decide to sell my mbox mini and switch to Logic pro, because this is to much...

/Johnny
Ouch. I feel your pain bro.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM

I don't mean to bump, just thought I'd update my progress for anyone else that may be having similar problems. I started a ticket with tech support regarding the cpu issue and a whine-hum I've experienced with the mbox mini when the motif rack is connected via usb/balanced audio in. That problem was solved when I connected the motif via midi rather than usb... not ideal but it got rid of the hum. I also had the whine when I connected the audio out from the imac into the mbox mini to which tech support replied: "I'm not surprised as this would be an unbalanced connection and would be susceptible to noise."

So, no recording from the imac audio out. No big deal. And btw, if your monitors have the whine but it's not apparent on the audio tracks, then you need to plug the speaker's power into those 3->2 prong adapters. Should fix it.

As for the CPU, I uploaded a screenshot of the infamous -6101 error with 2 rtas VI tracks: boom and mini-grand, plus one St audio track. Everything was set up exactly as digi specified: no airport, no bluetooth, CPU usage set to one processor with 85%, option for ignoring rtas errors unchecked, all preferences trashed, no usb hub, no core audio use, permissions repaired, and only digi plug-ins. *phew* Am I forgetting anything?

In the screenshot, I showed the Pro Tools cpu montior which was less than 5% and the Apple system usage which showed 11.21 MB free system memory. This is on a new iMac, with 2 GB standard, running only PT (and Apple Activity Monitor). Here is tech support's reply, hopefully they don't mind:
--
"As far as the 6101 errors, the most likely culprits are Bluetooth, Airport, and USB hubs. You have said that you are not using a USB hub so that shouldn't be the issue, but make sure that both airport and bluetooth are turned off. Also, make sure that in your playback engine (Setup > Playback Engine) that your CPU Usage is not above 85% and that the option for ignoring RTAS errors is unchecked.

I would also try eliminating any other USB devices and see if that changes the behavior at all, and I would also try the same session on the internal drive with the external drive completely disconnected from the system.

You could also try resetting the PRAM of the Mac:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Also, in that screenshot, it looks like you have more than 2 instrument tracks and an audio track, so I would try with just a minimal configuration and see if you are having the same problems."
--
It should be mentioned that the additional tracks were blank motif midi tracks from a template so I don't think they were too much of a drain...?

Well, my concluding thoughts are that I still need more ram although it seems others are having these issues with even 4 GB or more. I think Digi has literally transformed Pro Tools 8 with so many great new features and enhancements that perhaps it is not quite streamlined yet. I will probably go back to Logic for virtual instrument tracking and the always excellent exs. Speaking of which, why does Digi cripple Structure and charge extra for it? Seems to me like they should want as many people using it as possible as there would be more library development and potential users in the long run. Anyhow, Pro Tools will still be my go-to for audio, mixing and arranging but I think it has a little ways to go before the virtual instrument tracking is efficient.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the update WestphalMusic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestphalMusic View Post
Well, my concluding thoughts are that I still need more ram although it seems others are having these issues with even 4 GB or more.
True.

Quote:
I will probably go back to Logic for virtual instrument tracking and the always excellent exs.
You and many others.

Quote:
Anyhow, Pro Tools will still be my go-to for audio, mixing and arranging but I think it has a little ways to go before the virtual instrument tracking is efficient.
Agreed.

I don't quite get this part of Digi's reply:

"Also, in that screenshot, it looks like you have more than 2 instrument tracks and an audio track, so I would try with just a minimal configuration and see if you are having the same problems."

What, so just have one Instrument track with Boom OR MiniGrand? And then what? Wow, you'd have one Instrument track and maybe no CPU errors? Cool! That would be so awesome You could really get some incredible arrangements happening...

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 AM

fwiw, I was seeing this issue a bunch with the new mac mini I picked up. I moved my FW drives over to USB (so that the 003 was the only fw device hooked up) and bumped my RTAS processors down to 1. Haven't had an error since doing this and it reproduced every time before.

Protools 8.0cs2, OS10.5.7, all plug-ins up to date, airport on or off didn't seem to matter. I tried bumping the rtas processor down to 1 with the FW drives still hooked up and that didn't seem to fix it...and with the FW drives moved to USB and only the 003 hooked up, setting the RTAS processors to 2 still shows the error. So maybe it's a combination of things causing this?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 AM

I get these same error messages it usually happens when I'm using midi, but its also happened a few times when I wasn't using midi..... sigh.. Ive trouble shooted with no luck.. its sooo annoying. I bought all this digi recommended gear to replace Mackie Tracktion 2 and an old computer that had no problems at all.... oh well

Total songs written in mackie tracktion 12
Total songs written in pro tools ZERO

I QUIT