Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM

Default Is this a common quirk among I/O's ?

Not long ago I made the move from the defunct Audiophile 2496 I/O to the Focusrite 2i4 mainly because of the controllable latency feature when recording. The device works great and I love the mic. pres. However, I am getting tired of having to switch back and forth between record and play, (Mix/edit screen views), because of the 2i4's inherent quirk requiring the need to lower the fader on the track I am attempting to record! Yes, I am aware that this problem can be automated by selecting "link record and Play Faders" in preferences but every time I trash preferences it reverts back and the whole aggravating scenario starts again! Also, and here again there seems to be no solution to this issue, with the 2i4 there is no way to hear a track playback while punching in due to having to lower the fader on the track you are trying to record! It has been suggested that the track you need to hear be copied to a new track just for the purpose mentioned. It appears to me that not a lot of common sense or practical recording logic was brought to bare while designing this device! You can call this a rant if you are inclined to do so but after all, I am the customer! Now. Are there other I/O's available that offer the same low/no latency feature but do not have the draw backs described? I would be interested to know. Thanks and sorry if I've ruffled any ones feathers at Focusrite.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Is this a common quirk among I/O's ?

Well this isn't foxusrite's playground or sandbox so it doesn't really matter.

So I have a focusrite interface as well and I mute the track that I'm going to record (in PT) because I don't want to monitor the track with latency (PT) so I monitor all of my tracks off of the Focusrite software.

This allows the as advertised near zero latency.

if you want to not utilize that software you will most likely have to get a HD native system but with a significant higher price tag than your Focusrite interface. Plus your preamps.

I really wanted to get a HDN system as well but I couldn't justify it, b/c I already have zero latency with pre amps - I just have to navigate a 3rd party mixer
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the comment yyr123 but I think you missed my point and my question. I know this isn't Focusrites sandbox! I'm interested in knowing if there are other I/O's that offer the same near no latency feature but do not sacrifice essential recording features like being able to monitor the track that you are attempting to punch record and or having to turn down the fader on the intended track to avoid echo! We all have our own methods and budgets.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 AM

If you want to punch record and monitor the punch recording you could always automate fader.

A workaround yes but doable
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Having to drop the fader or mute the track is going to be the case for any interface for punching in.
I use to have to do it with my Digi003.
I have HD Native and still have to do it.
It's just the way it is.
My work around is to record the overdub to another track, then go back and edit the two together on one track.
Automating the Mute would probably be the easiest thing to do but when I'm working I just like to have another track ready to go in case I need it.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 09-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Focusrite

Hi Terry Wetzel,

I do know what you are talking about. What you are experiencing is the limitation of not being able to turn off software monitoring.

turning off software monitoring would allow you to hear other tracks in PT will only hearing the direct mic signal you are inputting and not both the direct mic and the recorded mic signal. If that makes sense.

A work around is to is to only monitor from pro tools and set your buffer size to 128 samples.

hope this helps!