Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 PM

Default midi track record turns off all other midi/instrument tracks delay comp

Hey all I searched for an answer in these forms and couldn't find one so I apologize if the answer's out there and I missed it. I have a session with several audio tracks and numerous instrument tracks and VST plugins (such as Xpand, Massive, etc). I have PT HD 8 and delay comp is set to long. When I put any of the instrument or midi tracks into record it not only turns off delay compensation for that track (so that when you play live you can hear it immediately) but also ALL other midi/instrument tracks. Can this be turned off? In other words whenever I'm recording midi on to any track, all audio tracks stay compensated but all other midi and instrument tracks are playing "immediately", i.e. early. This is a big deal because I have the Virus TI plugin on an instrument track which has a very large delay (about 3700 samples at 44.1K) due to the plugin needing to interface with the hardware and back over a USB cable. So whenever I record any midi or instrument whatsoever, ALL OTHER midi/inst tracks in the session play 3700 samples early from the rest of the audio. What I want is that all other tracks are left the way they are when I'm recording onto a midi/inst track. Can this be done?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Default Re: midi track record turns off all other midi/instrument tracks delay comp

bumperoo, any help here?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 AM

Default Re: midi track record turns off all other midi/instrument tracks delay comp

For future reference you might want to try posting in one of the other forums (like maybe the HD TDM one) as some of them are a little more frequently visited than this one - legacy or no .

Before I try answer your question can I ask what exact version are you using? There was a behaviour change in v8.1.1 which I think which could have some impact on the answer. Also exactly what are the other problem MIDI tracks you have in the session - are they external MIDI, MIDI tracks routed to instrument tracks, instrument tracks only or any combination of the above?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Hey Suicune, thnx for the reply. I'm using PT HD 8.1.1. At the moment I'm not using any external gear, just soft synths. I have the same problem with all MIDI and Instrument tracks regardless of where they are routed. When I put any one track into record, it turns off delay compensation on all midi or instrument tracks, not just the track in record. I get that you want the ONE track you're recording on to to have compensation turned off (so your live playing is immediate), but why on earth would anyone want all instrument/midi tracks to have their compensation turned off during record? With low amounts of plugin delay it's not a big deal, but as soon as I put one high-latency plugin like AutoTune Evo or or I mentioned the Virus TI plugin into the session, and try to record any midi, ALL other instrument tracks are put into "immediate" mode, i.e. no compensation, i.e. playing way ahead of all the audio tracks! It seems like such a goofy feature to me. If you have any idea about this or how to disable it, plz let me know. Driving me nuts and it seems like it makes no sense for this feature to be here.
Tony
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 AM

That's not normal behaviour if I am remembering PT8 correctly, although I may not be as it's been a few years now. Whilst delay compensation recording MIDI was a pain in PT8 the problem you are describing is not what the main issue was.

You don't have all your software synths routed to a single auxiliary do you? Or plugins on a master fader?

If the answer to both of these is no then I would hazard a guess that this is the issue:

Quote:
I have the Virus TI plugin on an instrument track which has a very large delay (about 3700 samples at 44.1K) due to the plugin needing to interface with the hardware and back over a USB cable.
Have you tried removing it and see what happens then?