Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Re: New Avid live console announced: S3L!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundrambo View Post
This console is awesome. Good work Avid.
But for live applications it would be almost neccesary to have the possibility to connect and operate with 2 surfaces at the same time...
The competition offers this also on "baby" consoles so this is no excuse...
If it is possible please add this in the future...
I agree. Give it at least one more than it will be ok.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 AM

Dear Avid, If you plan to add Personal Q option to the SL3 system, I may have a customer interested in getting one as a monitor desk. If there are prototypes you want tested, I may have a fully staffed road test available

Also, if you have a card so that a Profile 300' away could share the pre-amps (like using that recording output), I would be interested in picking up a Profile for FOH.
Thank you, Denny
[email protected]

Last edited by Denny Jagard; 06-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM

I had the distinct pleasure to see a system in person last week and put my hands on it. I haven't been posting here much lately as I've been so busy these days---but those that know me know I'm a straight shooter and not afraid to call a manufacturer out if I feel the product doesn't really hit what they claim it will do or serve a proper purpose. I must admit when I first learned of the S3L that I was very concerned about the control surface design--the same concerns I've heard from others on the forums, emailing and calling me about, even colleagues in the industry. That concern is the control surface---that it was really an ARTIST MIX unit. Well that was the first thing I gravitated to and I'm glad to say it's nothing like what I already pictured in my head. This control surface is HEAVY, well not "heavy" as in you can't move it but it's a solid unit that feels like a real console. It's not as small as the pictures might appear, it's a good-sized unit. Another concern was the size of the display LED's, buttons, etc. Again because the controller is larger than I expected, everything else follows suit. It's a good product!

The price tag for the base 16-channel unit, quite frankly, is higher than its competitors by quite a bit---however the real story to this console isn't as a 16-channel console, but frankly when you push 32-channels and beyond. I believe the list price for a 64x32 configuration is under $30k, yes? And that includes a Pro Tools record option for a full 64-channels. Personally I'm VERY excited about the S3L and where this is going to take AVID as there's a HUGE market of users that this console would fit both the budget AND the needs.

Congratulations!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM

Hey Guys here is another Video on the S3L

sam
Old 07-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Hi guys, iīm new here, glad to join you.
I have a couple of question about the E3 engine(the brain of S3L).

It channel run at 32 bits and 192Khz? even at 64 channel? is that true?

I hear about the modularity of the system and itīs hdx capable.
It means that itīs upgradable with more HDX boards? so it can do more than 64 channels?

I found the site a little vague in tecnical specification.
Since i didnīt find the answer on site, maybe anyone can help me.
thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceloviana View Post
It channel run at 32 bits and 192Khz? even at 64 channel? is that true?
32 Bit Floating point, as discussed here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340588

Where did you see the sample rate of 192k? I could see that AAX plugins are capable of that, but that doesn't necessarily mean the S3L operates at it. Someone can correct me, but isn't the current sample rate of Venue 3.0 48k?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8white View Post
32 Bit Floating point, as discussed here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340588

Where did you see the sample rate of 192k? I could see that AAX plugins are capable of that, but that doesn't necessarily mean the S3L operates at it. Someone can correct me, but isn't the current sample rate of Venue 3.0 48k?
I agree with n8white, The Venue line are all 48K, and so far i'm aware they use the same pre-amps for all there consoles. If it was 192K it would probally one of the main features of the S3L.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthor View Post
I agree with n8white, The Venue line are all 48K, and so far i'm aware they use the same pre-amps for all there consoles. If it was 192K it would probally one of the main features of the S3L.
The preamps have nothing to do with it...all they do is increase a mic input level to a line output level.

It is the converters that determine the maximum sample rate...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
The preamps have nothing to do with it...all they do is increase a mic input level to a line output level.

It is the converters that determine the maximum sample rate...
True, but correct me if i'm wrong, the whole venue line, at least until the S3L uses the same pre-amps and converters. so i'm just guessing it will be the same for S3L.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8white View Post

thank you for the link n8white.
Itīs because the site say that the s3l is based on the new hdx board, that is the base of new 32 bit 192khz capability.
So i though that de E3 module use that board or boards, don't really know.
But since the site is so vague, i hope someone that have knowledge, could enlight us.
After all the S3L use the unknow new venue 4.0

Last edited by marceloviana; 07-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.