Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 AM

Default Protools 8 and OSX 10.4 no good?

Hey guys,

I was just reading the Pro Tools 8 Compatibility form, and it seems that Pro tools 8 is no compatible with OSX 10.4? Am I reading that right?

Am I the only guy that hasn't gone to Leopard yet?

Man I have tons of software plug ins, synths and things and I shutter at possibly having to re install. do you guys recommend doing a clean install of 10.5 or upgrading? if I upgrade will things break?

I have tons of Waves plug ins (the gold bundle) that I don't have the CD's for because they were downloads. I have the Ilok authorized but still.

This is a huge pain in the ass me thinks.

what do you guys think Is the best course of action?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Protools 8 and OSX 10.4 no good?

I've not updated to Tiger as the advise from Digidesign was "don't do it" until very recently.

I'm considering the move to pro-tools 8 to stay current, but i'm curious to how plugin compatability with Tiger will work for me (looks ok according to charts) and if an upgrade a wise move to make when in reality I should really do a clean install

After all the pain with 7.4 not being supported on Tiger and all the digi guys saying "don't upgrade" I'm sad that straight after a fix comes out the next update is Tiger only - everyone upgrade.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Avid

Yes, Pro Tools 8 will be Leopard only and, yes, it's likely you will need to update plug-ins.

You can get a list of currently compatible Leopard plug-ins here:

Pro Tools Leopard Plug-in Updates

Quote:
Man I have tons of software plug ins, synths and things and I shutter at possibly having to re install. do you guys recommend doing a clean install of 10.5 or upgrading? if I upgrade will things break?
I would recommend a clean install on a new drive that you can boot from, keeping your Tiger drive in it's current state. That way, you can always revert to the Tiger drive if you need to work.

Quote:
I have tons of Waves plug ins (the gold bundle) that I don't have the CD's for because they were downloads. I have the Ilok authorized but still.
You can always log into your account and get the current installers, assuming you're eligible and/or your WUP is up to date.

Yes, it will take some time, but any OS change is going to require a bit of attention - and it's likely a majority of other applications you use will need updates as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Well I can't say that I'm happy about this, but.....It actually gives me an excuse!

I have been looking to get a new intel mac for some time now. and I think I just might take the plunge.

Thanks Digitech support for the fast reply.