Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 12:50 PM

Default Kontakt loading slow in PT 11

My Kontakt loads into a PT insert quickly but every time I open it in the session it takes about 45 seconds to load. It seems to load the database every time. I don't remember it doing this until I switched to PT 11. It's slow opening in version 5.3.1 and 5.4.3 AAX and RTAS and 5.3.1 VST in Meta Plugin wrapper.

Is there something I could be doing different? I do have over 6,000 items in the database, could that be it.

It's also slow in PT 10 as well via AAX, RTAS, and VST (opening via Meta VST wrapper). Also slow opening in Studio One.

The stand-alone program seems to load in about 10 seconds instead of approx 45.

I've cut down my database from 6200 items to around 2000 but still opens slow, maybe 25 seconds instead of 45 now.

Any ideas on what I could do?

I'm on a iMac
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10/11.3.1
Kontakt 5.3.1 & 5.4.3

Have Memory server turned on and include samples turned off in Kontakt preferences.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Kontakt loading slow in PT 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingojr View Post
My Kontakt loads into a PT insert quickly but every time I open it in the session it takes about 45 seconds to load. It seems to load the database every time. I don't remember it doing this until I switched to PT 11. It's slow opening in version 5.3.1 and 5.4.3 AAX and RTAS and 5.3.1 VST in Meta Plugin wrapper.

Is there something I could be doing different? I do have over 6,000 items in the database, could that be it.

It's also slow in PT 10 as well via AAX, RTAS, and VST (opening via Meta VST wrapper). Also slow opening in Studio One.

The stand-alone program seems to load in about 10 seconds instead of approx 45.

I've cut down my database from 6200 items to around 2000 but still opens slow, maybe 25 seconds instead of 45 now.

Any ideas on what I could do?

I'm on a iMac
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10/11.3.1
Kontakt 5.3.1 & 5.4.3

Have Memory server turned on and include samples turned off in Kontakt preferences.

Thanks
There's not a thing you can really do about it except to have your samples on a separate non-green energy saving drive that's never allowed to sleep. An ssd would be good for this. The size of the K5 database does have a hand in it. Using K5's memory server doesn't do anything for the loading of the vi itself.

I don't use the K5 browser as I have everything set up in the Quick Load menu system which leaves me with a clean screen. The one thing that annoys me is each time I open a new instance of K5 in a PT project it takes a while to populate the QL menu. I never really timed it; it's just something I'm used to at this point. It's always done this no matter the Kontakt 5 version or PT version (PT10 or PT11).

Please tell me you're using a separate drive for the samples and that the system drive in your iMac is NOT a Fusion drive. What exact model iMac do you have? How much ram?

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 AM

I have 12 GB of RAM and the samples are on a separate drive, a glyph 7200rpm drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's not a thing you can really do about it except to have your samples on a separate non-green energy saving drive that's never allowed to sleep. An ssd would be good for this. The size of the K5 database does have a hand in it. Using K5's memory server doesn't do anything for the loading of the vi itself.

I don't use the K5 browser as I have everything set up in the Quick Load menu system which leaves me with a clean screen. The one thing that annoys me is each time I open a new instance of K5 in a PT project it takes a while to populate the QL menu. I never really timed it; it's just something I'm used to at this point. It's always done this no matter the Kontakt 5 version or PT version (PT10 or PT11).

Please tell me you're using a separate drive for the samples and that the system drive in your iMac is NOT a Fusion drive. What exact model iMac do you have? How much ram?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I have 12 GB of RAM and the samples are on a separate drive, a glyph 7200rpm drive.
That's a decent setup but there's not much you're going to be able to do about the 'slow' loading of K5. When you say slow loading do you mean it takes a long time from when you insert K5 in PT for the K5 gui to show up or exactly what? It would help if you define that. And have you mentioned this in the NI Kontakt forum?

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
That's a decent setup but there's not much you're going to be able to do about the 'slow' loading of K5. When you say slow loading do you mean it takes a long time from when you insert K5 in PT for the K5 gui to show up or exactly what? It would help if you define that. And have you mentioned this in the NI Kontakt forum?
Takes no time to insert it onto a Pro Tools insert, but when I click on Kontakt to open up the GUI, that's when it takes a while.

I mentioned it on the Kontakt technical issues forum but no responses yet.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 AM

It may just be running as good as it will.

What CPU is in the iMac?

Trash Pro Tools prefs

Make sure spotlight indexing is turned off/*all* the drives are marked private.

You don't have any antivirus software installed right?

Make sure no other programs are running.

Try without memory server with Pro Tools 11.

Once things start up do they run OK or are things sluggish/other problems?

What does the OS X Activity monitor show is going on when loading slowly? One process maxed out? Idle CPU and lots of disk IO. What do the memory stats show?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Takes no time to insert it onto a Pro Tools insert, but when I click on Kontakt to open up the GUI, that's when it takes a while.

I mentioned it on the Kontakt technical issues forum but no responses yet.

Thanks for the help.
You're saying it takes a while for the gui to open when you click on the insert slot? Strictly speaking that's not a PT or Kontakt problem but is pointing to a system issue you may be having. If I insert K5 in a PT11 insert slot when I click on that slot the gui opens right away with no delay. Exactly where do you have K5 the program installed - in the normal spot on your system drive? The samples can be anywheres.

I asked a couple of questions you haven't answered. Is your system drive a regular spinner, ssd or a Fusion drive? Fusion drives are a no-no. Do you let your drives sleep? That's another fatal no-no. What exact iMac do you have? You really need to answer these questions. 12 gig of ram is not a standard ram load. How is your external drive connected?

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You're saying it takes a while for the gui to open when you click on the insert slot? Strictly speaking that's not a PT or Kontakt problem but is pointing to a system issue you may be having. If I insert K5 in a PT11 insert slot when I click on that slot the gui opens right away with no delay. Exactly where do you have K5 the program installed - in the normal spot on your system drive? The samples can be anywheres.

I asked a couple of questions you haven't answered. Is your system drive a regular spinner, ssd or a Fusion drive? Fusion drives are a no-no. Do you let your drives sleep? That's another fatal no-no. What exact iMac do you have? You really need to answer these questions. 12 gig of ram is not a standard ram load. How is your external drive connected?
Kontakt loads into Pro Tools fine, but when I click on the Kontakt insert it pops up right away, I can see the GUI but then the rainbow wheel starts spinning and then I wait.

It's a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5.

I don't know what a fusion drive is, but this is the model number of the hard drive. WDC WD5000AAKS-402AA0. Think it's a regular spinning hard drive.

The external hard drive is chained to a Thunderbolt drive connected via a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor.

I don't let the drives sleep.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It may just be running as good as it will.

What CPU is in the iMac?

Trash Pro Tools prefs

Make sure spotlight indexing is turned off/*all* the drives are marked private.

You don't have any antivirus software installed right?

Make sure no other programs are running.

Try without memory server with Pro Tools 11.

Once things start up do they run OK or are things sluggish/other problems?

What does the OS X Activity monitor show is going on when loading slowly? One process maxed out? Idle CPU and lots of disk IO. What do the memory stats show?
Thanks for the good suggestions... I will delete antivirus, and trash prefs. Once things start running in Kontakt everything is smooth.

I'll watch the activity meter, see what it's doing.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Oh antivirus... definitively try getting rid of that.