Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Nothing New for Eleven at NAMM - Now What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsman1 View Post
Buy a Firebird X and throw everything else away? I would like to try one of those someday!
Before you do that, look at the fate of the surviving instances of Gibson's RD line. That ought to tell you something about embedding electronics in a guitar...

Quote:
I do feel bad for the guys running Lion on their Mac’s who would have to pay $500 for an editor though. That is a bit scandalous!
If it's not worth it, it's not worth it. However, compatibility issues are nothing new when it comes to DAW software, and Avid is not the first (nor will it be the last) to have this problem.

I think that there are quite a few first-time DAW users undergoing a very unpleasant and expensive learning experience thanks to the PT LE that came bundled with the 11R.

Long-time DAW users have learned to dedicate a computer to recording. These folks (especially those who earn a living using their DAW) are extremely circumspect when it comes to applying software upgrades. Their motto is "let someone else take the arrow in the back..."
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM

As far as better goes... ok, think of it this way. In the past I never liked amp modeling devices at all and I tried a lot of them. One day I tried the Eleven Free plugin that came with PT and I was pretty impressed after having tried things like amplitube and a Boss GT-8 and a GT-10! It was just so much more musical! So, when I heard Eleven Rack was available I bought one right away and was even more blown away because it FELT like you really were playing through an amp. Now, I have been playing for 40 years which means absolutely nothing except I have owned a lot of gear over the years. I know what a good AC 30 sounds like and what a good Plexi sounds like and man… they really have those nailed. (as well as my blessed tape delay! YES!) Just a few short years ago we were not there… all the stuff I heard always sounded very artificial and “fizzy”. At some point in the next ten years, I don’t think people are going to be spending a lot more time trying to duplicate the sound of old amps because they are pretty much going to have those algorithms down. So, does it get any “better” at some point? I don’t think so, I think that more innovation is the next step once we have devices that really virtualize just about every nuance of everything ever made.

Maybe it is easier to put it this way. I sold all my amps! I can get pretty much the same tone at low volumes and that is pretty cool, especially when recording!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
As far as better goes... ok, think of it this way. In the past I never liked amp modeling devices at all and I tried a lot of them. One day I tried the Eleven Free plugin that came with PT and I was pretty impressed after having tried things like amplitube and a Boss GT-8 and a GT-10! It was just so much more musical! So, when I heard Eleven Rack was available I bought one right away and was even more blown away because it FELT like you really were playing through an amp. Now, I have been playing for 40 years which means absolutely nothing except I have owned a lot of gear over the years. I know what a good AC 30 sounds like and what a good Plexi sounds like and man… they really have those nailed. (as well as my blessed tape delay! YES!) Just a few short years ago we were not there… all the stuff I heard always sounded very artificial and “fizzy”. At some point in the next ten years, I don’t think people are going to be spending a lot more time trying to duplicate the sound of old amps because they are pretty much going to have those algorithms down. So, does it get any “better” at some point? I don’t think so, I think that more innovation is the next step once we have devices that really virtualize just about every nuance of everything ever made.

Maybe it is easier to put it this way. I sold all my amps! I can get pretty much the same tone at low volumes and that is pretty cool, especially when recording!
I fully agree.

Innovation in this space, at some time rather soon, is going to have to turn away from the sound and feel of the devices and concentrate on other aspects of the playing / recording / performing experience.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

I love my 11R and i use it every day .. Recently i've started to think that i may need an good tube amp also to get the good
tube sound when i need one. No emulating device can provide me that i guess.
Focusrite Saffire 40 Pro
Eleven Rack + EXRP
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharmel View Post
I love my 11R and i use it every day .. Recently i've started to think that i may need an good tube amp also to get the good
tube sound when i need one. No emulating device can provide me that i guess.
That's why i have an Atomic Powered wedge. Best there is i think.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I do feel bad for the guys running Lion on their Mac’s who would have to pay $500 for an editor though. That is a bit scandalous!
Whoa!

New here, primarily using OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro using PTLE v8.05. Also have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.2 and was hoping to use it with a newly acquired Eleven Rack.

Do you have a link about this need for another costly editor to run on Lion?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatzatsound View Post
Whoa!

New here, primarily using OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro using PTLE v8.05. Also have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.2 and was hoping to use it with a newly acquired Eleven Rack.

Do you have a link about this need for another costly editor to run on Lion?

Thanks,

Mark
You can try it. It works for me - at times. Frequent hang ups that I can't clear without rebooting the computer. Worse, I can't have it installed on Lion and use any other music software as something in the drivers seems to hang up other apps when they launch. My understanding is that is isn't supported by Avid and their solution is to pony up $500 to upgrade to PT10. The people most wanting the editor are those who don't want to upgrade and those who don't use PT, but have to launch it to mess with presets.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
You can try it. It works for me - at times. Frequent hang ups that I can't clear without rebooting the computer. Worse, I can't have it installed on Lion and use any other music software as something in the drivers seems to hang up other apps when they launch. My understanding is that is isn't supported by Avid and their solution is to pony up $500 to upgrade to PT10. The people most wanting the editor are those who don't want to upgrade and those who don't use PT, but have to launch it to mess with presets.
Thanks for your answer. When I bought the Eleven Rack it was bundled with a PTv10 upgrade, so if I understand you correctly updating to PTv10 on the MacBook Pro with Lion will take care of the problem.

Mark
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatzatsound View Post
Thanks for your answer. When I bought the Eleven Rack it was bundled with a PTv10 upgrade, so if I understand you correctly updating to PTv10 on the MacBook Pro with Lion will take care of the problem.

Mark
PT10 on Lion works fine, so you'd be good to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
PT10 on Lion works fine, so you'd be good to go.
Yep, you should be fine.