Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2021, 07:16 AM

Default Re: 2021 and still no sidechain latency compensation..

Hey Folks,
Please call support and open a high priority ticket about this. If several of us do that, it will get some traction. Sadly, I don't think that Avid put priority on this forum.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:19 AM

I did that once. It cost me $40, took me over a week to reach someone and the conversation that ensued was fruitless and crazy making. And no, I didn't lose my cool on the support staff.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 View Post
.. Also for those who use sends for parallel compression, you have phase issues and most people don't even realize it.
Yeah, you are so right I guess only calling it a "sidechain latency compensation issue" really doesn't do it justice really - since all sends lack latency compensation.

I guess I wrote sidechain latency compensation because I often run into this issue when I'm sidechaining instruments against the kick drum. But you're right, it's even worse than that.. like you said, imagine how often people have phase issues without realizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
keep submitting support cases!
Yes! I opened a support case yesterday because I want to get a clear answer of when we can expect this issue to be fixed. Not entirely sure that I want to renew my license for another year if the DAW is still fundamentally flawed and with no fix announced/OTW. (But also, I really don't want to have to learn another DAW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
why do you call it Sidechain Delay comp ?

I believe that the ADC is not working until today in Pro Tools unlike Logic for example

if I have few instruments tracks with let's say UAD plugins on them and some other audio tracks .... everything will be a complete mess
Yeah, I probably should've called it "sends latency compensation issue" instead since it affects all sends and not just sidechaining.

Hmm, you mean when you use sends right? Or are there other delay compensation issues in Pro Tools that I'm not aware of?
Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Sends may have flawed delay compensation but sidechain paths are completely lacking in ADC. I don't think these are the same issue. Flawed delay compensation for sends may be targeted as a bug. Sidechain ADC is an unimplemented feature.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:40 AM

Oh, yeah.. That sounds about right. They're probably separate issues.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:48 AM

This definitely sucks. I want to make sure you guys know about Eventide Precision Time Align. It let’s you move a track back and forth in sub-sample increments and can help get around this PT limitation. You can either put it at the end of the track you’re sending or the insert before the ducking compressor. It was recently on sale for $30

https://www.eventideaudio.com/produc...ion-time-align
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM

Might take a while. It wasn't until version 9 I think they introduced automatic delay compensation. It was so much fun using a plugin slot to time align on every single mix.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
keep submitting support cases!
I did my part too and submitted a case over 2 weeks ago on this very topic. Mostly just to formally get it on their radar after ranting about it on here for years. No response yet. Nothing. I really don't know what I'm paying for anymore. I have an active PT Ultimate updates & support plan. Pretty aggravating. Was just hoping for an acknowledgment. Even just a "we know, so sorry." Lol... something
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 03-26-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
Might take a while. It wasn't until version 9 I think they introduced automatic delay compensation. It was so much fun using a plugin slot to time align on every single mix.

That was for native versions of PT. So RTAS finally got ADC/PDC when they dropped the LE line.

It was available for HD users and TDM plugins prior to that. I think version 6.4 was when it was introduced. So somewhere in the early to mid 2000’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That was for native versions of PT. So RTAS finally got ADC/PDC when they dropped the LE line.

It was available for HD users and TDM plugins prior to that. I think version 6.4 was when it was introduced. So somewhere in the early to mid 2000’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure. I’ve been on since 7.3 I think? But when moving from HD/TDM to native it was a pain in the butt mixing on native.