Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2001, 05:02 AM

Default booting problem

Hello!

I have been using my digi001 four months now and almost everything is perfect(no IRQ conflicts etc...) and PT haven't even crashed yet although I've been using it almost everyday 1-12 hours. Only problem I have is when I am starting up the computer with the digicard installed in my Intel D815EEA Mobo. Sometimes I have to reset the computer say 2-10 times in the beginning, because the monitor stays blank, system halts and nothing happens. It's in the very beginning of the boot because I can't even boot from the disk and if remove the hard drives floppydisk and CD it still doesn't boot. Computer initializes the keyboard but when it is time to wake up the monitor system halts. I have tried with another monitor, with mobo's inboard display adapter and with Matrox PCI display adapter and everytime the same. And when I remove my digi PCI card, the system works fine and the monitor wakes up. Has anybody else experienced this? After a succeful boot my system works fine. When I remove the hard drives, CD and floppy my system consists:

Intel D815EEA Mobo
Intel PIII 800 Hz
256 Mb Dimm PC-133 SD-RAM
Enermax 431 W Power Supply
Philips/Nokia monitor
(matrox display adapter)
Old 11-18-2001, 08:35 AM

Default Re: booting problem

What IRQ is the Digi using? Try changing the IRQ....search the DUC for that subj. - there's plenty here. try moving the card to another slot...good luck
Old 11-18-2001, 09:07 AM

Sounds like a conflict with Digi and possibly your video. Go into device manager and print your IRQ settings to see if Digi is sharing any IRQs. If you can manually set IRQ in your bios, then put Digi in slot 3, counting from the AGP video slot near the CPU and hard assign Digi to either IRQ 9 or 10 in bios. Also check for onboard sound and if you don't need it, disable it in bios or device manager and run all your audio through Digi001.
Good luck.
Allen
Old 11-18-2001, 10:51 AM

are you using pci or agp for your video card?
Old 11-18-2001, 01:41 PM

Now I'm using PCI display adapter but the same thing happens when I use mobo's video adapter. I tried to change the digi's IRQ and video cards IRQ and order of video card and digi but it's always the same. Sometimes machine boots at first try but sometimes it needs 2-10 reboots in the beginning. Digi is now in the third PCI slot and video adapter is in the fourth. I also tried different order and slots for both. IRQ's are now:

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller
3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
4 (free)
5 (free)
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
7 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 Digidesign Digi 001
9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 Matrox MGA Millennium
10 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 (free)
12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 244B
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 244B

Like I said this happens in the beginning of the boot. If monitor wakes up the computer continues booting and everything is OK.

seppo
Old 11-18-2001, 02:42 PM

Do you have the onboard Vid card disabled in BIOS setup? You might have 2 controllers fighting. While you're there, do you have a setting like "Init Display first" in Integrated Peripherals? If so, make sure it's set to PCI.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:24 PM

Now I don't have this PCI video adapter so I use the on-board adapter. Today I tried to start the computer maybe 30 times, but it didn't started at all. I waited about half an hour and tried again and it worked!? What's that?

seppo
Old 11-19-2001, 01:40 PM

Hi,

Move Matrox Video Card to IRQ11 and Digi to IRQ10. That should do it.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 11-19-2001, 02:20 PM

I thought you were using the PCI card... Do you know how to enter CMOS... BIOS setup? If you are switching back and forth between the onboard vid and the PCI card without making adjustments in setup, it's likely part of your problem... Especially with an onboard vid. Your startup problem sounds like you've removed the PCI card and not Enabled the onboard vid. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by seppo:
Now I don't have this PCI video adapter so I use the on-board adapter. Today I tried to start the computer maybe 30 times, but it didn't started at all. I waited about half an hour and tried again and it worked!? What's that?

seppo
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-19-2001, 03:05 PM

Yes I know how to switch between the on-board video adapter and the PCI video adapter. I just removed the PCI adapter today. I just noticed small leds in my mobo. Those troubleshooting leds tells when the system halts in the boot and my system detects the prosessor, cache, memory etc...but it halt when initializing the PCI bus and before video,IDE and USB initialization so the problem is not in the video but it is in the PCI bus or may be in the digi card!!! I have tried change the slot and IRQ of the digi card but nothing helps and I can use other PCI cards so can the problem be in the digi card, becouse the problem vanishes when I take off the digi card.

seppo

seppo