Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Default All I want to do is make some music...

So I am completely new at this and probably sound like an idiot, so excuse all that.

I am on Mac OSX, using Pro Tools 8 LE with M Box.

Neway, I am used to Garage Band where you can simply pull up a plug-in and press letters on your laptop computer and it will play.

So I made an instrument track and found the Grand Master plug in and I cannot control that plug in through my laptop keyboard. Wompwompwomp.

I was wondering if this is possible for Pro Tools 8 LE. I don't have a midi-keyboard, I just have a lap top computer. I want to use my laptop keyboard to press keys and have that be recorded onto the edit screen as notes and music on playback.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Default Re: All I want to do is make some music...

its time to rtfm

you can still drag your loops into pT
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 PM

Nothing in the manual about how to set your MIDI player as your PC keyboard. I found a few videos on youtube about installing plug-ins to do this, but seems strange it just wouldn't work so easily.

The closest I can get to how I want to use this program is with a pencil tool, but that doesn't let me play freely as I want to.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoey56 View Post
So I am completely new at this and probably sound like an idiot, so excuse all that.

I am on Mac OSX, using Pro Tools 8 LE with M Box.

Neway, I am used to Garage Band where you can simply pull up a plug-in and press letters on your laptop computer and it will play.

So I made an instrument track and found the Grand Master plug in and I cannot control that plug in through my laptop keyboard. Wompwompwomp.

I was wondering if this is possible for Pro Tools 8 LE. I don't have a midi-keyboard, I just have a lap top computer. I want to use my laptop keyboard to press keys and have that be recorded onto the edit screen as notes and music on playback.

Thanks!
AFAIK, that doesn't work. I highly recommend a small MIDI controller keyboard; maybe one with some pads. For realism, it's mainly about getting the velocity "right".
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM

Cool, thanks for your help. At least I know now that you can't use your PC Keyboard to control an instrument. I will definitely look into getting a keyboard since I think my neighbors hate me for jamming out on my real one all the time.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Cool, thanks for your help. At least I know now that you can't use your PC Keyboard to control an instrument. I will definitely look into getting a keyboard since I think my neighbors hate me for jamming out on my real one all the time.
Actually... you can.

http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Actually... you can.

http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/

It is a lot better using a decent MIDI keyboard, though. Using the computer keys is really just handy in a pinch when you have nothing else.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515