Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Recording with 11r through a physical cab?

Hi.
Is it possible for me to send the 11r signal from output to amp into a power amp, through a cab and then stick a SM57 in front of it and back into the 11r and protools?
What do I have to do inside protools to make that happen?

/Anders
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Recording with 11r through a physical cab?

You had me saying yes all through reading this, until the part when you want to feed it back through the 11R, which abruptly changed my answer to "no". On the 11R , you can choose either the 1/4 input or the XLR; you can't use both at the same time. The only way to do it would be to use another interface to bring the SM57 signal into Protools.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
You had me saying yes all through reading this, until the part when you want to feed it back through the 11R, which abruptly changed my answer to "no". On the 11R , you can choose either the 1/4 input or the XLR; you can't use both at the same time. The only way to do it would be to use another interface to bring the SM57 signal into Protools.
Actually that's not quite right. You can only have 1 type of input to the rig in the 11R. The other inputs on the 11R can feed PT at the same time but as you say they can't go through the rig/amp sim part. So it depends on exactly what the OP wants to do. If he just wants to feed the SM57 into PT with no processing in the 11R through the amp sim part then he's okay. You can actually have 6 inputs from the 11R feeding PT for recording at the same time. If he wants to process the SM57 through the amp sim part then he's out of luck.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Actually that's not quite right. You can only have 1 type of input to the rig in the 11R. The other inputs on the 11R can feed PT at the same time but as you say they can't go through the rig/amp sim part. So it depends on exactly what the OP wants to do. If he just wants to feed the SM57 into PT with no processing in the 11R through the amp sim part then he's okay. You can actually have 6 inputs from the 11R feeding PT for recording at the same time. If he wants to process the SM57 through the amp sim part then he's out of luck.
He wants to feed his guitar into the 1/4" input, route the output through a poweramp/cab, mic it with an SM57,and then bring in the mic into the XLR of the 11R. As I understand, you can't use the 1/4 guitar in and the XLR simultaneously. Many have complained that they can't use a guitar and vocal mic at the same time.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
He wants to feed his guitar into the 1/4" input, route the output through a poweramp/cab, mic it with an SM57,and then bring in the mic into the XLR of the 11R. As I understand, you can't use the 1/4 guitar in and the XLR simultaneously. Many have complained that they can't use a guitar and vocal mic at the same time.
You CAN use the guitar input to the rig input while feeding the xlr mic input to PT at the same time. Says so right in the 11 Rack users guide on page 65: " Eleven Rack features three type of analog input that can be used with ProTools. There is a dedicated guitar (instrument level) input, a stereo line input, and a mic level input. All three are available as inputs for recording in ProTools.

You can route one of tghose inputs through the Rig at a time, and route the output of the Rig to Pro Tools."

And on page 64: "When using Eleven Rack as an audio interface with Pro Tools, all inputs are usable simultaneously (though the Rig is still limited to processing one input type at a time."

Helps when you read the users guide/manual.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No Jack was correct, and this seems a common point of confusion.

The Eleven Rack has only one internal processing 'rig', and only one of the mic, guitar-in, line-in L/R or digital-in L/R can be selected to drive the rig input, however *all* the inputs are available to Pro Tools at all times. So you can say feed the rig with the guitar-in, and in Pro Tools (or any DAW) simultaneously track the main L/R outputs and guitar-in (dry guitar) and Mic say for vocals. And you can certainly do what the original post here is asking.

Darryl
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Helps when you don't act like an arrogant ass-hat too. I was only trying to help. OTOH, I don't use the 11R as a recording interface anyway. I leave that to the Apogee 16.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Helps when you don't act like an arrogant ass-hat too. I was only trying to help. OTOH, I don't use the 11R as a recording interface anyway. I leave that to the Apogee 16.
The only person behaving arrogantly here is you. You said something that was simply wrong--something that does get repeated and deserves to be clarified. People responded correcting that. Nothing was inappropriate, no personal attacks. But presumably without checking what either of the other people had told you (try it out or read the manual) you go back to pushing the wrong information again, and again are corrected without any spite or inappropriate comments. Saying stuff over and over again does not make it correct, behaving like a dick head helps nobody here.

Darryl
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Thing is the info you were giving was dead wrong and you'd have known that if you'd read the users guide. Sadly that seems to be the recent trend here on the DUC - people not fully reading the manuals.

QAPLA!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thing is the info you were giving was dead wrong and you'd have known that if you'd read the users guide. Sadly that seems to be the recent trend here on the DUC - people not fully reading the manuals.
I get that part, and agree. My mistake was due to not having read that particular part of the manual, and it is very common. There are also things in the manual that are incorrect, and\or incomplete (the fact that "Rig Out No Cab" defeats cab sims globally, for example).

My apologies for my comment - it was a knee jerk reaction. I just thought that citing the pages and quotes from the manual was sufficient for making your point, adding "Helps when you read the users guide/manual" was unnecessary.